Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Solution to rundll32.exe/gameux.dll problem (Read 5166 times)
yrex .
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Solution to rundll32.exe/gameux.dll problem
Oct 19th, 2015 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Seems that nobody has written about this yet (besides one thread about Unreal connecting to internet which I cannot find and from what I remember it didn't have solution).

On Windows Vista and newer Unreal may from time to time refuse to run if you don't have internet connection. Or sometimes even when you have internet connection. Instead, some stupid rundll32.exe with gameux.dll as parameter launches together with Unreal.exe, hangs Unreal.exe process and comsumes 50% CPU. When you kill rundll, it kills Unreal also. If you launch second instance of Unreal, it works, but the first instance with rundll remains.

It turns out that this useless Windows "feature" is the Game Explorer which tries to connect to Microsoft server to send/receive some information.

How to fix this?

1. Start cmd.exe as administrator.
1.1. Run command: "regsvr32 -u c:\windows\system32\gameux.dll"
1.2. On 64-bit system also run command: "regsvr32 -u c:\windows\SysWOW64\gameux.dll"
2. Open registry editor (regedit.exe).
2.1. Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX"
2.2. There will be three sub-keys: "Games", "MachineSettings" and "{something}"
2.3. Expand the "{something}" key and delete sub-keys belonging to Unreal.
2.4. Or just delete the entire "{something}" key. Or even "GameUX". I don't know.
3. You can also remove the gameux.dll file completely.

However be careful when doing this - Game Explorer will probably stop working, and games which depend on gameux may also stop working. I don't know how built-in Windows games will react to this. I recommend making backups first. If you want to be safe, then only perform steps 2-2.3. If you want to register gameux again, execute in cmd "regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\gameux.dll" and for 64-bit systems "regsvr32 c:\windows\SysWOW64\gameux.dll".

More information
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-gaming/windows-7-...
http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/887850-removing-games-explorer/

Quality content | mail me instead of PMing: ampoyrex(a)wp(.)pl

IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Re: Solution to rundll32.exe/gameux.dll problem
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2015 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Perfect timing to post this topic. I checked settings for various UE1 games in Windows ACT and noticed that most of them had some GameUX compat setting.

So this might be the reason for it to be there or is at least related.

HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2015 at 5:16am
Print Post  
GameUX exists as a dll on Windows 10, but I saw no unreal related registry keys -- or anything at all. Unreal 1 has worked fine for me on gold/227 since I've tried win 10.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2015 at 7:03am
Print Post  
what does GameUX do anyway? It seems to be related to Game Explorer, but I never used that myself.
Really almost frightening to see such "hacks" in Windows, especially because it rises the question what does it do with games which doesn't need it anymore, like 227 builds, those are build with recent VC++ and shouldn't require that I think- although I have no real idea what this really depends on- or as said- what it's needed for...

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2015 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Smirftsch wrote on Oct 20th, 2015 at 7:03am:
Really almost frightening to see such "hacks" in Windows, especially because it rises the question what does it do with games which doesn't need it anymore, like 227 builds, those are build with recent VC++ and shouldn't require that I think- although I have no real idea what this really depends on- or as said- what it's needed for...

To be honest, Unreal 227 is a more then rare exception and 10+ years old Software plain doesn't get updated. And offering a toolkit for increasing compatibility for old software is a great idea. There is nothing frightening about it: You can look it up what compat settings are applied and in case you really do update a piece of software bypass it anyway.
Also the addressed compat issues are not to work around code build using an old VC++, but to address code which would act different on a newer Windows, may it be by design to clean sth. up, but appears to be mostly to avoid implicit assumptions made by the software writters and probably even making use of undocumented behaviour.
A lof of the compat settings are designed to emulate a Windows 9x style behaviour, and it is a better descission to move on with the design of an OS instead of ensuring compatibility at all cost. There was always a huge difference between Win9x line (where games were developed for) and the NT based line, and starting with Vista a lot of components for the desktop and audio was changed, and as a developer you know you can't keep compat to everything in this case.
Also a lot of the compat settings also conteract badly programmed/designed code, so working around it that it works out of the box is nice for the user.
Sure one could use linux as a counterexample, but keep in mind that it's monolithic kernel and desktop (X11) design is basically an half a century old concept which has not changed much.

The thing which gets a bit freightening regarding games, and posses a way larger problem are the compatibily fixes included in graphic card drivers. These are undocumented, and you will not find anything about them.

One example I stumbled upon was the game Silver. It did just work (correct) on Win 9x machines, didn't work (correct) on Win2k/WinXP but started to work again correct on Win Vista+.

HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.

IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2015 at 7:53am
Print Post  
I guess as legal caretaker of Unreal, if you notify Microsoft of the new Unreal updates, it would send notifications to people with it enabled.
227 users obviously see it in Unreal, but what about old versions.

Perhaps Epic would allow you to notify UT99 users via this system that there are updates ?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo