Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Need testers for lag and playability (Read 1690 times)
Kapn_Karnage

Oldunreal member

Need testers for lag and playability
Sep 19th, 2015 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Was not sure where else to put this so here goes. I have 1 map I am running that really has several different lands within it. It makes for a 16.7 meg map. It is a deathmatch map but has some elements of co-op because of some enemies within which can eventually be eliminated. It has teleporters within the map where a player can change skins and re-enter game. I have no score recovery to discourage constant changing of characters. To me it is quite an adventure trying to discover all that is within. I have talked to a player or two who thought it was a rip-off idea about a jurassic game someone put out. I admit I have about 3 types of dinos in the opening land and a few spawners but I have no idea of another gameplay map which is similar. I however would think that with a mod like jurassic that there should be that type game. I only use the dinos in 1 of 5 areas. There are passages and secret teleporters to the other lands within. I give many hints in the serveradds addon.
My requst is for some peeps to come on and test for lag and playability and then come back and leave comments/suggestions. Just wanted to try and think outside the box and bring something a little different from what seems to be currently popular.
Server name may morph but the map will remain "Unexpected Journey". Thanks guys

IP Logged

Kapn_Karnage

Oldunreal member

Re: Need testers for lag and playability
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 2:02am
Print Post  
Well I have certainly discovered several downloaders at once can kick the servers butt. Especially with such a large map file and other doo dads involved.

IP Logged

gopostal
Betatester

Hack coder

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 6:37am
Print Post  
63 packages? I'm willing to test something for you and help out but I'm not going to sit for 20 minutes waiting to do it. Can you not simplify the server?

BTW the map you are thinking of is either a monsterhunt map called MH-BackInTime or MH-DinoPlanet. There are multiple versions of both floating around.

I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Worst skybox ever:

Out of scale in comparison to level. (By far)
Very low resolution textures in comparison to level.
Black rims around skybox forest textures.

IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
The Warlord lair thingy section is a copy of Malus Keep. An artmap that can be downloaded from oldunreal's map section (under artmaps). The rest of the map I have seen before but not sure if it was just this level in an earlier state or if that is copied from another map aswell.

I'm not sure if you got permission for copying stuff from Malus Keep or not but either way is it pretty lame to see whole sections copied from other levels.

I do like the exploration aspect though....

I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

BobIsUnreal
God Member

gonna be dead soon, gg

Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Get a redirect setup or point t n the detection or somones then all the downloading issues go away completely. 16mb turns into maybe 9 mb compress and shot over http.

[REM_img]http://i.imgur.com/V3OSsDu.gif.disable[/img]http://i.imgur.com/JOu38Gs.gif
IP Logged

Kapn_Karnage

Oldunreal member

Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Hey guys thanks for the honest comments. Yes it is a massive download but the packages are also used in other maps I have already cycled thru, not all at once like this one, but some. Yes the skybox was never setup for daytime map. It was originally all nighttime and the only illumination that occurred was when the orbs passed thru the trees. So yes it was quickly constructed and never meant to be viewed as a whole. Someone came on and was having great difficulty seeing in the nighttime version. Yes we tested his f11 brightness key. I took out and changed the lighting making it a daylight map. I rebuilt the level with the new lighting and minimum geometry changes and Wah-Lah. Back to big bsp problems. This map has been rebuilt many, many times because of the bsp. I have added, changed, stretched, shrunk brushes until I was blue in the face. I have even removed zone divisions brushes because of the errors occurring where they were located. Have tried all the option settings in the build options. In very, very small increases or decreases. I finally settled on the current one playing because as far as I know there is only 1 very minor cut in a single brush in a little cave brush. And I did not want to worry at that point about a back-dropped skybox. Rebuilding is just to big of a hassle for sure.
Most of map is original but you are correct about the Dragon's Lair part and I am very apologetic to say I did not get permission. It can be removed if it becomes an issue with it. Some of these maps within were maps I authored way back in the earlier 2000's and also ran a couple (as individual maps) since rejoining the unreal community. My main concern remains playability due to expansive sections of map with no real zoning and also the playability of the path a player has to take to ultimately have a flying skin. And of course now I have a concern for the Malus Keep addon. It just fit so darn well into my scheme of things. I can take it out right now but I keep having that "oh No" moment about bsp again. Even using the bsp view in the editor can not find all the little rips and tears that rebuilding this map can produce. I have had to literally do a flythru in both directions and cover every inch of map after re-builds.
Again I thank you guys for the honest and direct responses.

IP Logged

Kapn_Karnage

Oldunreal member

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
As a side note I just opened Malus Keep in the editor and all the links to the original author in the level info no longer exist. I thought I had already looked and yes I had.

IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2015 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Try putting old links in the web archive http://archive.org/web/
Many old sites and downloads can be found there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo