Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) unreal 3? (Read 7926 times)
Solid_Snake FirePhoenix

stray lone wolf

unreal 3?
Aug 14th, 2015 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
why have they not made an unreal 3? that revisits the original story of unreal 1? with the way that na-pali ended I think the story is left verrrry open.....

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Re: unreal 3?
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2015 at 5:17am
Print Post  
No.

IP Logged

Solid_Snake FirePhoenix

stray lone wolf

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
WHY?

IP Logged

krjHntr

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2015 at 12:31am
Print Post  
I'm surprised they haven't made an open-world survival/rpg on Na Pali.  If you've ever read the books (Hard Crash and Prophet's Power) by Ryan Hughes, keep that setting in mind. I could totally imagine a game revolving around being the only human in a foreign world, helping the rebel Nali to fight back the Skaarj.   Cool

IP Logged

Solid_Snake FirePhoenix

stray lone wolf

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2015 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
I have never read either of those books yet but you have a good point and I'm glad someone has the same thoughts on this as I do!Smiley

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2015 at 7:55pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

OrangesTheWarlord

Psychotically Normal,
Psychotically.

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2015 at 1:11am
Print Post  
thaye are did maek Unreal 3 they maked it back in 2007 but it wasnting fun it wuz bad but the artstyle wuz nice you think if theye gives me there files bitch i culd maked unreal 4 yes? not crap quack 4 like epic gains maked pre alfa now yes?

No

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2015 at 1:53am
Print Post  
OrangesTheWarlord wrote on Oct 13th, 2015 at 1:11am:
thaye are did maek Unreal 3 they maked it back in 2007 but it wasnting fun it wuz bad but the artstyle wuz nice you think if theye gives me there files bitch i culd maked unreal 4 yes? not crap quack 4 like epic gains maked pre alfa now yes?

Yes.

IP Logged

BobIsUnreal
God Member

Guy who has too much time
invested to quit now

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2015 at 2:46am
Print Post  

so its gonna use the newly anticipated  peanut butter jelly engine then?

[REM_img]http://i.imgur.com/V3OSsDu.gif.disable[/img]http://i.imgur.com/JOu38Gs.gif
IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2015 at 11:28am
Print Post  

Here's how I picture you right now:

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Solid_Snake FirePhoenix

stray lone wolf

Reply #10 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
thaye are did maek Unreal 3 they maked it back in 2007

really?... but was it a direct continuation after na pali?

IP Logged

SoulUnreal

Oldunreal member

Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2015 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Perhaps a good programmer can do a remake of Unreal1 with Unreal Engine 4 ? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2015 at 4:04pm by Hellkeeper »  

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #12 - Nov 24th, 2015 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Solid_Snake FirePhoenix wrote on Aug 14th, 2015 at 11:30pm:
Perhaps a good programmer can do a remake of Unreal1 with Unreal Engine 4 ? Roll Eyes

1) It takes more than one guy, and it takes more than just programmers.

2) This kind of project usually ends with a C&D letter from Epic because you are remaking their own game which is their own property.

As for why there is no Unreal 3, the answer is manifold: First, Unreal 2 was a flop, so for a while a solo Unreal was not something to be expected. But Unreal 2 is a very old game and I highly doubt it has any impact on the current policies of Epic.

Second, Unreal is largely a victim of Unreal Tournament's success. When you say "Unreal", people think "UT". This means anyone would be slightly reluctant to release a game with such a troublesome brand recognition. I can't guarantee it, but I suspect this might play a role in Epic's decision to make solo games under other brands then Unreal (such as GoW).

Third, the market for solo FPS might not be currently favourable right now. There is a large segment of the audience which seems to prefer pseudo-realistic military shooters, a few SF ones but which are relatively grounded (I think of Mass Effect and so forth, even though these ones are already old news). Unreal is a dinosaur: it's a completely unrealistic (how appropriate) FPS with over the top weapons. Unreal is also largely devoid of story, scenario and character, something which was not a problem back in the days of Unreal but is really expected now. Unreal 2 had some but it sucked and crashed.

Fourth, solo FPS is on its way to extinction. Games are made to be multiplayer with a few hours-long solo which is usually a glorified tutorial. There are exceptions (FarCry, Borderlands, Fallout), but they're mostly series which have always been dedicated to solo first, multiplayer next, which is not the case of Unreal, once again because of the influence of Unreal Tournament.

Finally, and I think it's the main thing: people play Unreal because they want to flak each others in the face on Deck. The amount of people who are interested in a new Unreal game is maybe 1/100 of the amount of people interested in a new Unreal Tournament. So the future is Tournaments.

EDIT : Woah, sorry SoulUnreal, I typed accidentally removed like 3/4 of your post because I hit "modify" instead of "quote" when typing this long answer. I'm sorry, it was a mistake.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

SoulUnreal

Oldunreal member

Reply #13 - Nov 24th, 2015 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Hellkeeper wrote on Nov 24th, 2015 at 4:04pm:
Solid_Snake FirePhoenix wrote on Aug 14th, 2015 at 11:30pm:

1) It takes more than one guy, and it takes more than just programmers.

2) This kind of project usually ends with a C&D letter from Epic because you are remaking their own game which is their own property.

As for why there is no Unreal 3, the answer is manifold: First, Unreal 2 was a flop, so for a while a solo Unreal was not something to be expected. But Unreal 2 is a very old game and I highly doubt it has any impact on the current policies of Epic.

Second, Unreal is largely a victim of Unreal Tournament's success. When you say "Unreal", people think "UT". This means anyone would be slightly reluctant to release a game with such a troublesome brand recognition. I can't guarantee it, but I suspect this might play a role in Epic's decision to make solo games under other brands then Unreal (such as GoW).

Third, the market for solo FPS might not be currently favourable right now. There is a large segment of the audience which seems to prefer pseudo-realistic military shooters, a few SF ones but which are relatively grounded (I think of Mass Effect and so forth, even though these ones are already old news). Unreal is a dinosaur: it's a completely unrealistic (how appropriate) FPS with over the top weapons. Unreal is also largely devoid of story, scenario and character, something which was not a problem back in the days of Unreal but is really expected now. Unreal 2 had some but it sucked and crashed.

Fourth, solo FPS is on its way to extinction. Games are made to be multiplayer with a few hours-long solo which is usually a glorified tutorial. There are exceptions (FarCry, Borderlands, Fallout), but they're mostly series which have always been dedicated to solo first, multiplayer next, which is not the case of Unreal, once again because of the influence of Unreal Tournament.

Finally, and I think it's the main thing: people play Unreal because they want to flak each others in the face on Deck. The amount of people who are interested in a new Unreal game is maybe 1/100 of the amount of people interested in a new Unreal Tournament. So the future is Tournaments.

EDIT : Woah, sorry SoulUnreal, I typed accidentally removed like 3/4 of your post because I hit "modify" instead of "quote" when typing this long answer. I'm sorry, it was a mistake.

I love the single player and I do not like the multiplayer . Frenzied and no plot , story , atmosphere , suspense , etc ...
Unreal1 had all this ... The music was beautiful ... I think we can create a good Unreal3 with a fascinating story . See Deus Ex , FarCry , Crysis , Half Life , etc ... I hope ...
Unreal 2 was a flop because it was too different from Unreal1 .
See what will happen in the future  Cool

IP Logged

EvilGrins

Oldunreal member

Reply #14 - Nov 24th, 2015 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Unreal 3: The Skaarj Invasion of Earth

You play as a lone pupae, that somehow got stuck onboard a ship in the Skaarj fleet, your mission is to survive and bite as many human feet as possible.

FOR THE QUEEN!

New Gaming strategy: Hug everything!
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo