Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Abusive server titles (Read 6886 times)
BobIsUnreal
God Member

Guy who has too much time
invested to quit now

Re: Abusive server titles
Reply #15 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 4:02am
Print Post  
The abusive server owner was contacted by a third party( the owner made himself known to selective players),
and after some talks, it was decided that he/she would agree to make the name less abusive.

he/she also explained his/her reasoning , and its  much too much to understand.
it not even about a ban it has to do with somone life, health and relationships (or somthing?).

here is a peerblock block list of the entire ranges.
blocked it last night , only becuase it was distracting to find real populated servers
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18734201/fakerum.p2p

[REM_img]http://i.imgur.com/V3OSsDu.gif.disable[/img]http://i.imgur.com/JOu38Gs.gif
IP Logged

V00D00

Oldunreal member

Reply #16 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 6:36am
Print Post  

Nice one Bob!  Smiley

Now at least those server titles looks less angry Smiley
Guess being met halfway is a good result or a least an improvement.

On a very similar topic, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when (as you mentioned earlier in this thread Bob) I saw for the first time yesterday that the TiagoPinto server is back up.

Guess we can't win them all  Wink

Everything in moderation, including moderation.....

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #17 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 8:50am
Print Post  
indeed that's some good news. Looks like this community is still somewhat healthy. GJ Bob!!!!

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

BrakeDanceJ

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:22am
Print Post  
You guys are missing the point. It's not the offensive server title, rather it's falsely populating the 'populated servers' list as it's reporting players that don't exist by manipulating the protocol..

IP Logged

V00D00

Oldunreal member

Reply #19 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 10:58am
Print Post  
BrakeDanceJ wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:22am:
You guys are missing the point. It's not the offensive server title, rather it's falsely populating the 'populated servers' list as it's reporting players that don't exist by manipulating the protocol..

I don't really think this person is gaining an "advantage" by doing this, do you? if anything it's making them look a little bit silly Smiley Or to put it another way, did you join any of those dummy servers and play? Nah.....

Also you seemed to have missed what Hyper wrote and what seems to be the general opinion:-

Hyper wrote on Feb 5th, 2015 at 9:30pm:
I understand the problem, but I'm not in favor of blacklisting servers at master server level. I will keep my master server as open as possible. And now we have a bunch of master servers which are queried simultaneously there is no single point of control.

So like it or not, we have we to suffer it until it goes away. Compared to what the server titlest said before, I'm counting it as a result! Cheers!

Also, starting a new thread of your own with the word "a**holes" in is not exactly the most sensible way to go either, it might just add fuel to a fire that was on its way out. There's just no need for profanity (of any nature), even if you were talking about someone who is currently acting like one. Smiley. Here in a forum, we try and maintain a certain level of politeness and decorum, albeit tricky sometimes.  Wink

http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208897525

Peace out!

PS. Any chance the "duplicate" post in the General section could be deleted, since the reason I started this thread in this section in the first place is so this issue didn't get as much attention....

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #20 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Its not nice either way and unfortunately we are having the problem with some servers showing population where it isn't for ages. On the other hand such servers are usually not visited very often anymore after the people noticed that.

As for banning, even if done there wouldn't be a final solution since it's not very difficult to spoof an IP either. Also, banning an entire range however could result in banning other server(s) as well, so this is no real solution for the problem.
Of course, could add some kind of spam protection and language filter, but everyone researching this topic will notice sooner or later that it is close to impossible to catch everything.
Example (using something harmless Tongue):
Idiot
1d1ot
idi0t
ldloT
you can see, even with such a short and simple word there is almost an endless amount of variants- you get the point.

Of course could try to combine with something already existing, such as SpamAssassin, but even that is limited and the effort to make use of that is plain overkill. Not speaking of that we would have an entirely different form of usage here than usually used in f.e. E-Mails.

As said already above, the number of real options is limited.
In a more permanent case like here, the only chance I see is to contact the abuse center of the server's host and asking for taking it down. Since commercial hosts usually take care about their reputation they should take this serious.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2015 at 3:44pm by Smirftsch »  

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

BrakeDanceJ

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
There is a very simple solution here with a modification to the master server code to add a "RejectFalsePlayerCount" boolean setting. Upon receipt of a beacon, the master server would perform a /players/ query against the reporting server's query port. If the quantity of players returned does not match the player count integer, reject the beacon.

Alternatively, this setting could be implemented client side. Don't take the server's word for its player count.. rather, manually count the players in the server browser.

This would keep abusive servers out of the populated servers window.

If you don't think this is worth implementing, I'll start up work on my standalone master server project again.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #22 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
besides that I think that the idea is not bad, this could be faked also, but it should make it at least a bit harder. We are using already an advanced masterserver system (333networks) and I will relay this idea to Darkelarius & Polyverse.
But why so hostile? We are on the same side here. If you have nothing better to do then have fun writing yet another master...man man.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

BrakeDanceJ

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #23 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Smirftsch wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:04pm:
besides that I think that the idea is not bad, this could be faked also, but it should make it at least a bit harder. We are using already an advanced masterserver system (333networks) and I will relay this idea to Darkelarius & Polyverse.
But why so hostile? We are on the same side here. If you have nothing better to do then have fun writing yet another master...man man.

No hostility here, possibly just me being blunt due to being busy. I wasn't aware you were running a 'non-UCC' master. I wasn't being snotty in saying 'if you don't do it I will'; though I can see how it came out that way. I was simply saying I'd volunteer to do it if you didn't think it was worth implementing.

It's not really a waste of time. A basic master server can be written in < 100 lines in a higher-level language. In fact.. I even have a proof-of-concept hacked together in the form of a cli php script that works surprising well Cheesy

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #24 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
happy to hear and happy I got it wrong Smiley

well as said will relay this idea and we will see what they say, but they are great guys, so I am very positive about it. Will give feedback asap.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Metatron
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
All years again...
Welcome back to nursery-play-school....

IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Reply #26 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
BrakeDanceJ wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 7:44pm:
There is a very simple solution here with a modification to the master server code to add a "RejectFalsePlayerCount" boolean setting. Upon receipt of a beacon, the master server would perform a /players/ query against the reporting server's query port. If the quantity of players returned does not match the player count integer, reject the beacon.

Should be rather useluss as one can fake that too. And this feature just sounds like "abuse me for DOS". And even if that would work, one can just put some invisible Pawns in the game which get reported as Players.

HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #27 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 1:31am
Print Post  
BrakeDanceJ wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 7:44pm:

If you don't think this is worth implementing, I'll start up work on my standalone master server project again.

lol

I guess that means servers like mine that have fake players (bots) in server info but reports the real player count should be banned.

It's a complete joke to work around a variable like that anyway. You don't even need fake pawns, a custom udpserverquery (like mine) does that too. In fact I think it reports version 888 too...

The only sensible thing, but flawed in a similar manner, is to just censor/blacklist curse words. As mentioned, there's a million different permutations of curse words, not to mention different languages. This isn't a battle we can win.

IP Logged

V00D00

Oldunreal member

Reply #28 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 1:50am
Print Post  
[]KAOS[]Casey wrote on Feb 10th, 2015 at 1:31am:
The only sensible thing, but flawed in a similar manner, is to just censor/blacklist curse words. As mentioned, there's a million different permutations of curse words, not to mention different languages. This isn't a battle we can win.

Totally agree, it cannot be "won" but it can be curtailed. As Smirftsch mentioned about the permutations of the word "idiot" alone, yes, it could prove insane in the amount of permutations that would be necessary to put in all such things as a filter.

To me, it's not the words in that server title (either the original ones or the current ones) and it's not the amount of "blank" servers and it's certainly not to do with the player count.

For me it will be a sad day if I fire up the game, hit Multiplayer and see 7 populated servers: 6 of which are "complaining" about the other one Smiley   

That is pretty much putting it the best way I can without losing my own forum integrity Smiley

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #29 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 4:14am
Print Post  
For what it's worth, you can also fake all server information based on IP only to the master server. Thus being able to bypass any restrictions set upon by the master server to begin with.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo