logo
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Advanced options suggestions (Read 1620 times)
V00D00

Oldunreal member

Advanced options suggestions
Sep 18th, 2014 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
I was tweaking my [227i] OpenGL settings under Rendering options the other day (of which on my install there are 55 sub-options), when I thought "Hey! wouldn't it be nice if next time I went to Advanced Options, that it opened already tabbed out to what section I was previously using/editing. So in this particular case it would have been cool if when I opened Advanced Options the second time, it was already tabbed out to:-

Advanced Options > Rendering > OpenGL Support

In the above case I was tweaking (translation =  messing with) all 55 options, which by my reckoning would have saved me 110 clicks and that's for settings that were only nested 2 levels deep!

Is this idea even possible to implement?

Secondly, the "X" in the top right that closes the Advanced Options menu is now smaller than a gnat's kneecap. Doubtlessly, this is due to today's higher resolutions in general, but can this "X" be made larger either on a temporary or a permanent basis?

PS. Top tip for those don't already know. Typing "Preferences" in the console brings up Advanced Options. My second favourite bind is:-

Code
Select All
SET INPUT P PREFERENCES 

Yours wonderingly....................

Everything in moderation, including moderation.....

IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Re: Advanced options suggestions
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2014 at 5:29am
Print Post  
My solution.
Just stop closing the window each time. All the changes are live and happen while you watch.
I understand where you are going with this, but even though I have the advanced window open regularly, I don't find it a chore.
I use often use ENB which requires I always go to the D3D9 options, but 1 click and it is open.

Unreal users do not need to type "preferences", as it is a standard menu option, unlike UT.

Unfortunately the size of the GUI gadgets is defined by your desktop theme rather than the DPI setting.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2014 at 6:59am
Print Post  
to be honest, I hate messing with this window as its implementation is based on old windows functions which love to freak out quickly.
Off hand no idea about the "x" though, can check that.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

V00D00

Oldunreal member

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2014 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Dr.Flay™ wrote on Sep 19th, 2014 at 5:29am:
Unreal users do not need to type "preferences", as it is a standard menu option, unlike UT.

I never suggested typing "preferences" to access advanced options, I suggested binding "preferences" to a key so that with 1 keystroke you're in! It's way quicker than:-

(for Unreal Gold) Press ESCAPE > Navigate with mouse (or keyboard) to Options menu > Scroll down to Advanced options.
(for original Unreal) Press ESCAPE > Tab down to Options > Press Enter > tab down/up to Advanced options.

My solution. Just stop closing the window each time. All the changes are live and happen while you watch.

Not for people (like me) who use original Unreal (and not Gold). My advanced options sits "always on top" of the game window, so I have to close it to view the changes I've just made - hence my post.

Unfortunately the size of the GUI gadgets is defined by your desktop theme rather than the DPI setting.

Nope. I've adjusted windows' (XP and 7) minimize, restore and maxmize buttons to 96*96 pixels (for a laugh) and this does not alter the size of the "X" in advanced options. Now I'm intrigued to know just how hard-coded that lovely little "X" is Smiley

Smirftsch wrote on Sep 19th, 2014 at 6:59am:
to be honest, I hate messing with this window as its implementation is based on old windows functions which love to freak out quickly.
Off hand no idea about the "x" though, can check that.

Roger that! It's no biggie, guess I just prefer the speedier way of using keyboard shortcuts to achieve the same end result. I personally would love to close advanced options with ESCAPE! Having said that though, now it's so small, I consider it a headshot when I eventually do hit it with the mouse!  Smiley

Peace to all Nali protectors (and Delacroix the Nali oppressor) Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2014 at 12:49pm by V00D00 »  

Everything in moderation, including moderation.....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo