logo
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Question for Player Movement (Read 1538 times)
Blu3Haz3

Oldunreal member

Question for Player Movement
Sep 9th, 2014 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
I am trying to make a few adjustments for a small mod I have thats practically been done for ages, I just haven't decided to release it yet.  There had been a few things I still wanted to improve, and one of them was the time it took for the player to change directions when strafing.  Though some people don't really notice it, there actually is a hanging time that the player basically stands still when you go from strafing left to right repeatively.  This isn't that important for coop players, but in Deathmatch feel can be everything.  And even in coop when dodging bullets or rockets, you have to be able to expect yourself to move out of the way.  Well sometimes, moving left and right is so difficult that there is a bit of a delay in input to actually moving.  I am testing this offline currently, and the more I increase the groundspeed the easier it is to notice the hanging time in strafing.  Let's just say, I want to make this slightly more precise with input.  Is there a variable maybe that I have to look for in PlayerPawn so I can enhance the precision?

IP Logged

gopostal
Betatester

Hack coder

Re: Question for Player Movement
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Sweeney talked about this in the new UT development. There is some movement prediction built into the code to help prevent online stutter. Surprisingly they are having issues getting it as precise as it was in UT99. I think the default speed/stopping in our UT is 5000 but they were getting stuck at around 4500 before the player movements became noticeably chopped.

Anyway there is a certain amount of prediction you won't be able to overcome because it's native. I'm not sure you'll be able to improve on this given that it all has to work online and still not have any undesired visual hopping of 3rd person.

I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day

IP Logged

Blu3Haz3

Oldunreal member

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
So it sounds like it is linked to Tick Rate or the speed the game processes data.  The new games have so many packets to process and the old games were designed for slower computers and slower internet speeds.  Thanks for the information, I was afraid it would come to this.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 1:18am
Print Post  
It sounds like momentum/ground friction is your culprit here.

IP Logged

Bleeder91[NL]
Betatester

Personal Text:

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Movement - Accelrate

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo