Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Help creating an opaque window effect (Read 75 times)
gopostal
Betatester

Hack coder

Help creating an opaque window effect
Aug 8th, 2014 at 4:36am
Print Post  
I'd like to do this:

but I don't know how to accomplish it. Modulated needs a darker texture to make it work and I'd like to make the window heavily frosted white but with the same behavior. I'd like the things in the room to be shadow outlines so you know something is in there and moving but you just can't quite make out what it is.

I spent the evening doing tests and can't come close to a light/opaque texture. Any ideas?

I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Re: Help creating an opaque window effect
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2014 at 10:04am
Print Post  
I don't remember if 227 allows textures with a complex alpha channel (ie: something else than on/off), but if it, then you may create a white texture wich is half-opaque. However, you won't be able to make something more complew. AFAIK, even UE2 doesn't have materials which can alter what is behind them. That would require much more complex shaders, which were introduced in the UT3 (I remember how excited I was when i saw that back in 2006/7).

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2014 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
You could try to make a half-opaque texture and then add a white/grey room with unlit walls behind it and then add some enemies behind it that do not receive any light or are unlit with a black/dark grey texture. Ofcourse this does mean that this room should not be accessible. You could make a workaround for this by using portals but this would not be very suitable for multiplayer.

I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

gopostal
Betatester

Hack coder

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2014 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
That's the good thing for this. It's not going to be multiplayer. TheDane made a really fun mod called "Pop the Friggin Balloons" which is a spin on the castle defense java games but done in Unreal. He ran into all kinds of replication issues until I told him "This isn't really an online mod, this just screams single-player," so that's the direction he took.
His feedback thread on the mod:
http://www.forum.unrealtournament.info/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=219
So anyway in support of him I'm making a map for the release and I'd like to do it in a mash-up theme of Portal 2 where there are some guest appearances by various zombies and heroes from other games (LFD2, DayZ). It'll make sense if you see the storyboard for the map....now maybe not so much.

Anyway the map hinges on having "ActorX" being seen Oz style 'behind the curtain' several times to bring it all together. There will be an eventual reveal if you can complete all 50 levels of the balloons with scripted sequences built into the levels as they progress. I really want to nail this effect box because so much revolves around it.

I'm going to mock up some tests with zones and stuff lit different ways but is it cool if I PM you guys if I get close but need some extra help? Thanks!

I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo