logo
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Dead Star Map-pack (Completed) (Read 12503 times)
Yautja (Predator)

Michael Uhl

Dead Star Map-pack (Completed)
May 13th, 2014 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Dead Star Map-pack
Features: 16 Levels
Play-time: ~1:45 minutes
Difficulty: Experienced
Recommended: Medium-High range desktop PC; Game Brightness between 5 and 6.
File-size: 10.5 mb
Start Map: EntryPrison.unr
(included some music files for those who might not have Upak)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////
DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=60632112932145028264
(http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=60632112932145028264)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

This is my first ever release of a map-pack. Hope you guys and gals enjoy it, please let me know if there are any bugs or serious gameplay issues at michaeluhl@live.com.
Thanks for all the help and support!

-Predator
(feel free to distribute, I've never hosted anything before)

Screenshots (800x600):

« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2015 at 1:06am by Yautja (Predator) »  

someone else got the Predator username, but I've been lurking around unreal for 11 years as that name

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Re: Dead Star map-pack (In progress)
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2014 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Looks nice, I like the old school aspect of it.

You might want to decrease the coronas' size though, they are really huge.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Krull0r
Global Moderator
Betatester
Developer Team

227 Emitter Expert

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2014 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Hey, I think your mapping skills are good! so don't worry!

And I have to agree with Hellkeeper, I love the Oldschool look!
You should really resize the coronas, they are huge =)

keep up the good work!

IP Logged

SteadZ
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2014 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Lovin' dat Pink Laz0r fence Cheesy

Only thing that sticks out to me is the door frame in the 16th picture down (Skaarj Ship). I would suggest that you vertex-edit the corners of the trim so that it creates a "smooth" trim which flows all the way around.

Other than that, awesome work!

Good luck with this project and hope you see it through!

SZ

IP Logged

Yautja (Predator)

Michael Uhl

Re: Dead Star map-pack (Updated:Near Completion)
Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Updated with newer/more screenshots. Just finishing up the last boss battle level, a skaarj ship crashing level and a bridge level.

someone else got the Predator username, but I've been lurking around unreal for 11 years as that name

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
As with any Unreal map pack, my fisr question is: Will it be compatible / made for coop play?

IP Logged

Yautja (Predator)

Michael Uhl

Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Hyper wrote on Nov 1st, 2014 at 7:44pm:
As with any Unreal map pack, my fisr question is: Will it be compatible / made for coop play?

Not exactly sure what you mean by compatibility. The way I look at it, and the way I planned for it to be played was for a single player. I figured when crossing over into seriously releasing them to say like, well Unreal does not really have a "big" player base. So I figured maybe a single player adventure would be the best fit. Does that mean that it can't be played cooperatively? Not at all. The movers, the level layout and everything like that  can facilitate more than one player. But it gets tricky when you start dealing with enemy density's and ammo amount. If your expecting more players, you can up the difficulty, but I feel like it would have been taking a risk to start manipulating more enemies and ammo in the somewhat small campaign maps I have created. Having a 4 enemies in a small corridor might just be the perfect amount. But then doubling it or something because you are expecting this to be also played with more than one person can break the original combat scenario in my personal opinion... if that makes sense. Plus I have never really released anything tangible..

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Yautja (Predator) wrote on Nov 1st, 2014 at 8:54pm:

Not exactly sure what you mean by compatibility. The way I look at it, and the way I planned for it to be played was for a single player. I figured when crossing over into seriously releasing them to say like, well Unreal does not really have a "big" player base. So I figured maybe a single player adventure would be the best fit. Does that mean that it can't be played cooperatively? Not at all. The movers, the level layout and everything like that  can facilitate more than one player. But it gets tricky when you start dealing with enemy density's and ammo amount. If your expecting more players, you can up the difficulty, but I feel like it would have been taking a risk to start manipulating more enemies and ammo in the somewhat small campaign maps I have created. Having a 4 enemies in a small corridor might just be the perfect amount. But then doubling it or something because you are expecting this to be also played with more than one person can break the original combat scenario in my personal opinion... if that makes sense. Plus I have never really released anything tangible..

I mostly mean one-way movers or doors that shut behind the player after he/she walked through it. A coop map pack should be made in mind with players who come and leave the server at any time without the level getting stuck. That is the most important consideration with coop compatibility.

IP Logged

Yautja (Predator)

Michael Uhl

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Hyper wrote on Nov 1st, 2014 at 9:19pm:

I mostly mean one-way movers or doors that shut behind the player after he/she walked through it. A coop map pack should be made in mind with players who come and leave the server at any time without the level getting stuck. That is the most important consideration with coop compatibility.

Oh no not at all. The only thing thats like that is some dynamic music events that trigger only once.

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #9 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Yautja (Predator) wrote on Nov 1st, 2014 at 11:19pm:
Hyper wrote on Nov 1st, 2014 at 9:19pm:

Oh no not at all. The only thing thats like that is some dynamic music events that trigger only once.

Well, that won't be a game breaker.

IP Logged

Yautja (Predator)

Michael Uhl

Re: Dead Star Map-pack (Completed)
Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2015 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Updated front-end; finished polishing and ready to release. Updated with download link and newer screenshots. Please refer to the Readme if you have any troubles, have fun!

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #11 - Jan 13th, 2015 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
I'm testing your map pack at my coop server, and found a problem with the map "TheFarLands": It fails to spawn the player. The playerstart point may need more free space around it.

Server log:
Code
Select All
Warning: Login failed: Could not find starting spot (level might need a 'PlayerStart' actor)
NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection 01/13/15 22:54:36

Can you please fix this issue?

Also, some or all the maps have the download flag disabled, disallowing players to download the maps from the server directly. You may want to change this to enabled.

Other than that, I like your map pack.
I like the diversity of the scenery
I like the sound effects
I like the overall build quality
I like the playability and the classic Unreal setting.

Well done.

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #12 - Jan 18th, 2015 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
*Kick*

Did you read my error report?
Any fixes on the playerstart problem with the map "TheFarLands" on coop servers?

IP Logged

strategy-(DOG)-

-(DOG)-clan | Oldunreal

Reply #13 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
@PREDATOR: awesome mappack! thank you! i'll run your mapset on newbiesplayground coop servers!

@HYPER: yes, same problem here when running the map in gamemode jcoopz or unrealshare.coopgame. the map starts without problems using ugoldmp (by Masterkent)

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

V00D00

Oldunreal member

Reply #14 - Jan 20th, 2015 at 5:16am
Print Post  

strategy-(DOG)- wrote on Jan 19th, 2015 at 4:47pm:
@PREDATOR: awesome mappack! thank you!

@HYPER: yes, same problem here when running the map in gamemode jcoopz or unrealshare.coopgame. the map starts without problems using ugoldmp (by Masterkent)

Ditto to both those statements, I also had no problem running in it with UGOLDMP.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo