Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ALAudio for UnrealTournament - development and links (Read 69798 times)
maru

Oldunreal member

Re: ALAudio for UnrealTournament - development and links
Reply #90 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Smirftsch wrote on Feb 24th, 2016 at 5:41pm:
I am not familiar with current anticheat solution for UnrealTournament, but it depends on what anticheat system you use, there is no "general" way to do so.

Thank you for your entry. Server where I'm playing using ACE protection. I've asked to the admin but he doesn't know how to  whitelisting a file. Any idea where I could find the information ?

IP Logged

sn260591

Reply #91 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Any idea where I could find the information ?

Ask AnthraX http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30016

Sorry for my bad English

IP Logged

maru

Oldunreal member

Reply #92 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I will.

Thank you.

Cheers Smiley

IP Logged

lowenz
Betatester

Unreal Veteran

Re: OpenAL for UnrealTournament - development and links
Reply #93 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Any new versions? (I see 2.4.5 for Unreal 227i Cheesy )

The task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen, but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees - E.S.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #94 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 6:40am
Print Post  
just waiting for some feedback for it, then will make a new version for all games.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Morpheus2396

Oldunreal member

Reply #95 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Since the update of my sound driver (X-Fi Titianium PCIe), I struggle with sound errors (sounds skipping/missing) in both UT1 and UT2004.

The interresting point is, the error is the same in both UT2004 and UT1:

In UT2004, things get borked up once I install the X-Fi Patch made by Creative (which enables to use all 128 channels of my X-Fi - with the default sound driver, only 64 Channels are available) - in the UT2004 main menu, some menu sounds are missing/not played and Ingame the sound really gets messed up: the first 1-2 minutes, ALL sounds (weapons, explosions, death screams, pickup items) are correctly played - but then, sounds begin to skip! Not ALL battle sounds (weapons, explosions, item pickup sounds) are being played anymore - always only a part of them. It's very likely, that the X-Fi Patch uses OpenAL instead of DS3D... (no ALchemy is necessary...)

I could reproduce this error multiple times and also after reinstalling Windows 7!

In UT99, the exact same error occurs when I use the OpenAL sound driver (from OU) - after a few minutes, ingame battle sounds begin to skip, which means battle sounds are being played partially only; not ALL of them are being played at once. And like in UT2004, this error does NOT occur the first 1-2 minutes!

For me, it seems like some kind of "sound buffer" gets "full" after a certain time (1-2 minutes) or not "large enough" to play ALL battle sounds simultaneously - some kind of insufficiency...

A few days ago, I ultimately found out, the new Creative driver is the source of this problem:

http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=708255

What's the (technical) cause of this error? Can you fix it for UT99? And where can I get help for this problem for UT2004?

Thx 4 support,

M2396

IP Logged

lowenz
Betatester

Unreal Veteran

Reply #96 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Morpheus2396 wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 2:10pm:
Since the update of my sound driver (X-Fi Titianium PCIe), I struggle with sound errors (sounds skipping/missing) in both UT1 and UT2004.

The interresting point is, the error is the same in both UT2004 and UT1:

In UT2004, things get borked up once I install the X-Fi Patch made by Creative (which enables to use all 128 channels of my X-Fi - with the default sound driver, only 64 Channels are available) - in the UT2004 main menu, some menu sounds are missing/not played and Ingame the sound really gets messed up: the first 1-2 minutes, ALL sounds (weapons, explosions, death screams, pickup items) are correctly played - but then, sounds begin to skip! Not ALL battle sounds (weapons, explosions, item pickup sounds) are being played anymore - always only a part of them. It's very likely, that the X-Fi Patch uses OpenAL instead of DS3D... (no ALchemy is necessary...)

I could reproduce this error multiple times and also after reinstalling Windows 7!

In UT99, the exact same error occurs when I use the OpenAL sound driver (from OU) - after a few minutes, ingame battle sounds begin to skip, which means battle sounds are being played partially only; not ALL of them are being played at once. And like in UT2004, this error does NOT occur the first 1-2 minutes!

For me, it seems like some kind of "sound buffer" gets "full" after a certain time (1-2 minutes) or not "large enough" to play ALL battle sounds simultaneously - some kind of insufficiency...

A few days ago, I ultimately found out, the new Creative driver is the source of this problem:

http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=708255

What's the (technical) cause of this error? Can you fix it for UT99? And where can I get help for this problem for UT2004?

Thx 4 support,

M2396

Are you using OpenAL Soft?

The task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen, but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees - E.S.

IP Logged

Morpheus2396

Oldunreal member

Reply #97 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
lowenz wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 2:26pm:
Are you using OpenAL Soft?

No, and I'm not really interrested in it since it isn't HW-accelerated. Does it lack any features (besides HW-acceleration) the original OpenAL implementation (from Creative) has?

Spoken of OpenAL Soft: I noticed the most actual OpenAL driver for UT99 (v2.2) uses OpenAL Soft instead OpenAL. Is it possible to run UT99 with the original OpenAL? (from Creative, HW-accelerated)

M2396

IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Reply #98 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
We neither test nor maintain support for Creatives OpenAL. OpenAL Soft misses no features we use, in fact it even offers more we use (HRTF and another ALSoft extension to be able to do lipsynch in Deus Ex). Hardware acceleration offers no benefit in performance, you have most likely three or even more cpu cores idle, so it won't matter.

The old hackfix way to run on a single thread to get around missing TSC synchronisation across multiple CPU cores is obsolete as in Windows Vista and above this is handled reliable, so there is no performance improvement in using hardware acceleration.

HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.

IP Logged

Morpheus2396

Oldunreal member

Reply #99 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
han wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 7:10pm:
We neither test nor maintain support for Creatives OpenAL. OpenAL Soft misses no features we use, in fact it even offers more we use (HRTF and another ALSoft extension to be able to do lipsynch in Deus Ex). Hardware acceleration offers no benefit in performance, you have most likely three or even more cpu cores idle, so it won't matter.

What about EAX/EFX effects? I heard, OpenAL Soft doesn't feature EAX beyond version 2 (EAX 3, 4 and 5). UT2004 uses EAX3...

Can I parallelly use OpenAL Soft and original OpenAL together? (OpenAL Soft for certain games, original OpenAL for all other games...)

Is it nevertheless possible, to still use original OpenAL for UT99 with the actual version (2.2) of your OpenAL driver for UT? I would have to reconfigure and re-test UT99, if I would switch to OALSoft... (UT1 would perhaps sound different - maybe better than before but maybe also worse than before...)

M2396

IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Reply #100 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Morpheus2396 wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 7:58pm:
What about EAX/EFX effects? I heard, OpenAL Soft doesn't feature EAX beyond version 2 (EAX 3, 4 and 5). UT2004 uses EAX3...

As stated above, we don't use any features not present in ALSoft (e.g. we use EFX, not EAX). Our UE1 ALAudio has nothing in common with UT2004's ALAudio nor are we the Authors or maintainers of it.

Quote:
Can I parallelly use OpenAL Soft and original OpenAL together? (OpenAL Soft for certain games, original OpenAL for all other games...)

Yes. That is what we intend. Just extract all filtes into your UT\System directory and it uses ALSoft. The OpenAL32.dll inside this directory will no influence on any other part of your system or game.

Quote:
Is it nevertheless possible, to still use original OpenAL for UT99 with the actual version (2.2) of your OpenAL driver for UT? I would have to reconfigure and re-test UT99, if I would switch to OALSoft... (UT1 would perhaps sound different - maybe better than before but maybe also worse than before...)

Just test it. Don't have the details in my head, either use the config option or plain delete/rename the OpenAL32.dll inside of the UT\System directory. That will use your system defaults OpenAL32.dll, which should be your creatives i guess.
If there are any issues, report them, so we get an overview, though we might not fix them. In case you do want to fix them, we can sent you the ALAudio source.

IP Logged

Morpheus2396

Oldunreal member

Reply #101 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
han wrote on Mar 14th, 2016 at 8:15am:
Just test it. Don't have the details in my head, either use the config option or plain delete/rename the OpenAL32.dll inside of the UT\System directory. That will use your system defaults OpenAL32.dll, which should be your creatives i guess.

I already did it (copied the original OpenAL32.dll from Windows\system32 folder and then I changed the audio device in my UT.ini file) - it seems to work, except...

han wrote on Mar 14th, 2016 at 8:15am:
If there are any issues, report them, so we get an overview, though we might not fix them. In case you do want to fix them, we can sent you the ALAudio source.

... the problem with the skipping sounds (after 1-2 minutes) which is also present in UT2004. Since only UT99 and UT2004 have this bug (at least so far...) and the bug is exactly the same for both games, it might be an anomaly of the UE - despite UT99 and UT2004 use different versions of the UE (UE1 versus UE2), both engines certainly share several similarities...

This bug does not seem to occur with OpenAL Soft - now I'm going to test other games with OpenAL support (e.g. Q3A) to determine whether this bug occurs there, too...

IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Reply #102 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
I have some idea what might cause the issue. While there is in OpenAL Soft basically no limitation about the simultaniously playing sound sources, this might be severly limited in hardware.

So we could try using ALC_MONO_SOURCES / ALC_STEREO_SOURCES at context creation to supply at context creation a hint how many sources should be supported. But this is just a hint, no guarantee. Thats all I could find out about this while overflying the so called "OpenAL specification". It is more some programming documentation, and looks like it was written after the code as it is really vague and on certain issues certainly unclear.
So maybe we should readd a MaxChannels options, supply that hint at context creation and hope for the best that limiting it works for Creatives OpenAL implemtation.

/edit:
One can indeed query them using  alcGetIntegerv().

Smirftsch: go ahead. Cheesy
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2016 at 1:58am by han »  

IP Logged

Morpheus2396

Oldunreal member

Reply #103 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
han wrote on Mar 14th, 2016 at 10:20pm:
I have some idea what might cause the issue. While there is in OpenAL Soft basically no limitation about the simultaniously playing sound sources, this might be severly limited in hardware.

No, I have to update this - the problem definitely lies not in UE! I installed Q3A (ioquake 3 with OpenAL support) yesterday in order to check, whether the same bug occurs there, too - bingo! After a certain time, the sound completely disappears (except the Hit-Sound when you hit an enemy) - but in the case of Q3A, this happens just after a few seconds after starting a match!

It's definitely a bug in the actual Creative driver since driver version 2.40.0008 for the X-Fi Series.

In this case, there is nothing you can do for the original OpenAL implementation - that's Creatives job!

M2396

IP Logged

Morpheus2396

Oldunreal member

Reply #104 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
I have an entirely different question:

Is it possible to play UT with OpenAL/OpenAL Soft AND the original EAX libraries for UT99 (the EAX-Patch for UT99 by Creative for select UT99 DM- and CTF-maps)? These libraries add EAX-effects (especially reverb) to certain map points - I never expected the reverb to be so OUTSTANDING when listened through headphones (with CMSS-3D). Especially the reverb effects in CTF-EternalCave are ETHEREAL!!!111

Unfortunately, I couldn't get these libraries to work with the ALAudio driver - only DS3D (via Galaxy driver) with EAX + Surround sound options enabled (in UT Preferences) and enforced via ALchemy does work properly - when I change the audio driver to "ALAudio" there comes no sound at all...

Can you add this feature for future ALAudio (both OALSoft and original OAL, if possible) releases? That would be PHANTASTIC - these reverb effects are ELECTRIFYING when listened through Headphones...

M2396 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo