Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) It's been a long time. *long read* (Read 7732 times)
SSJ4Goku

Oldunreal member

It's been a long time. *long read*
Mar 10th, 2014 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
The past few days I've been finding that the Unreal community and its subcommunities such as the INF and Serpentine communities aren't completely dead, and this kind of overjoys me.

This game was the epitome of my childhood into my high school years, and I'm going to reminisce and tell you why. Some of you might remember me, or some of my other monikers... Gunslinger, Apollo, but SSJ4Goku was my constant. No, I was not the original. After being part of the INF community I was told that someone in DH went by this name originally, only about 3 years after I was using it. My bad, I suppose. Smiley

My father purchased this game in 1999, and I was 7 years old. I would sit in his computer/gaming room and watch him, and because I was mature enough he allowed me to play. The single-player, while good, was not what drew me in; it was the idea of multiplayer and playing against other people all over the world.

So we began playing, tormenting players by being opposite teams and camping in the same spot while protecting the other. The jolt.co.uk servers were not safe, especially the DMDeck17 server, which was undeniably my favorite map. I shortly started running with some people who were notorious for trolling, such as SmartBall and a few of his friends, and learned to get the Nali skin and mass suicide with others to crash servers. Fun and immature times were a plenty.

However, being a young and impressionable 8/9 year old, I got addicted to the stimulation and constant communication that playing online provided. I left the jolt.co.uk scene, and eventually lost interest in the game in it's entirety until 2002. I turned 10, and while cleaning my room I found my father's copy of Unreal Gold and got his permission to play. I noticed that the jolt.co.uk servers were not up or very populated, and I attempted to find somewhere different to play. hLk server, Dark City servers, Sniper Servers... None of them hit the sweet spot, and I was tired of the vanilla game because I was just as good as I was before I stopped playing.

Then I found this one server: SOBServers - Infiltration. I remember double-clicking and spending almost 90 mins waiting at around 12 AM for all the maps and textures and the mod to download, and I joined not knowing anything. I wasn't used to friendly fire, I wasn't used to these new guns that required reloading, I didn't know the button prompts to change firing settings or reload before the end of a clip, I didn't know anything about the maps or the mod itself. I was challenged again.

And so that addiction took hold of me again, and I would play on the server as long as I could so I could download maps to my cache so that I wouldn't come in after 3 rounds of game-time. I started making a few friends... Ambie, Scope (who made the first INF clan I was in, ARMY), Dust, Hades, jus10, Madness, Myth, spiderman. As I got better, I wanted to be in those other clans, and they wanted me. I was in AoZ, GOD (Dust & Hades' brainchild), marvel (very briefly), maybe EC as well. I turned about 12, and I left again.

Then life took over, and other games. I played a lot of Soldier of Fortune 2 (which I hacked in just because), and then began playing with my father's coworker in CS 1.6 and re-challenged myself over again with a completely different game. Almost got to CAL as well, but everyone was too busy to fully commit. Eventually my friends in 1.6 gravitated to Source and my computer could handle it, but not as well as I wanted it to. Being a 14-15 yr old I couldn't find many ways to get money and if I did it wasn't enough to do what I wanted and also upgrade my computer.

When I turned 15, I was involved in my freshman year to an extent, had some friends, had a girlfriend. However, once summer hit, I had an abundance of free time, and began playing again. The community died a bit from 2004-2007, but it still thrived a bit. SA was a big deal, along with C and OHM and others here and there. Some folks remembered me from the past, some didn't. Those who did got me more involved in the community; using teamspeak and RW to voice chat over game like I did in CS. Madness, Mylife, Ham, Lithium, CaveMan, Nite-Owl, and others were really cool with me. I dominated, I pissed people off because I wasn't the nice kid that I used to be (except when I got drunk and tried patching the feud up between C and SA), and I joined C because they seemed to be the best and pissed everyone off.

When school started back up, I got a little less available. Started chillin with stoners, experimenting with stuff, getting with different girls... A computer game I spent 8 years on took a back seat, along with my growing interest in music. I'd play stoned as hell, own decently, and get accused of aimbotting and whatnot by people like pafi and the random scrubs that were playing... It was fun but it got old. Not only was my high getting killed by false accusations, it put pressure on me in the game. I wanted to do better and prove people wrong, that someone with dedication and heart and time could be great without having to be a botter. After a game in December of 2007, I disappeared. Partly because of moving to console, partly because of disinterest.

Throughout the years I popped the game in. Looking at the servers and lack of people upsets me. Looking at the fact that inf servers that are populated are just deathmatch, upsets me. I do keep in touch with a few people here and there, but I miss the old days, and I wish I could remember them more than I do, because those were the best times of multiplayer gaming I will ever experience. The idea of community in a smaller game being so tight-knit, the drama, the accusations, the rivalries, all of it. I miss it so hard, and the sad part is there's nothing to really come back to.

I hope one of these days this community will prop up, ever so slightly. I would come back in a heartbeat. Peace and love to all of you who read this, and much more to those who are still trying to keep INF alive.

Jake

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Re: It's been a long time. *long read*
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Haha, yeah. As a first hour player I know what you are talking about. I've seen many people come and go. Unlike you however I took the opportunity of my interest in coding and whenever I am tired to play or the game itself lacks the people I'd love to play I am coding a bit to improve the game, fixing the game, bringing back some of the people.
I remember the times very well in which every player who was only a little bit better than the others have been accused to be an aimbotter in infiltration. I was a lot with SA in this time and with 227 we wanted to end this, to have finally funny games again without accusations. Unfortunately this didn't work out at all, most players left already and it rather seemed that a lot of the remaining players were complaining because they couldn't use their plenty of little hacks and even (obviously) also aimbots anymore.
I was in contact with almost any server admin back then and they all agreed that it wouldn't work anymore without a proper anticheat which 227 provided, but instead of getting support for their decisions to get the game clean again many of the remaining players just left.
I suppose that it just took plain to long for the good/fair players to stay, it was to late.
The others as said, kept complaining, the servers became empty because the server admins wouldn't go back allowing the nasty cheats again.
You will even find some people blaming 227 for the "downfall" of Infiltration, you just need to read some of the topics in this forum here, but I experienced this time very different, as said.
Indeed, I miss these times before, we had a lot of fun and like you I wish to have them back, but I tell you something. Sitting back and waiting doesn't work out, there must be someone doing something. Of course, I set up some server, also got some feedback "whats wrong" about it and when I asked for someone really taking care about it, no one ever accepted this offer and I plain don't have the time for it... so I guess it will stay as is. The only one running Inf servers with heart is RedRum, but that is, as you said already, DM.

Either way, thanks for showing up here and telling us your story Smiley

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Amaroq Clearwater

Check my signature for
a link to my character
bio.

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Welcome aboard.

Read the bio for my fursona here:
*OUTDATED LINK, WILL BE REPLACED SOON*

---

"Daddy, I had a nightmare."
"What is it, darling?"
"The next Unreal won't have Deck16..."
"That's harsh."
IP Logged

TCP_Wolf
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Well...

... the Infiltration community has indeed been plagued a lot by botter accusations, both true and false, and in addition to the "good things coming too late" as Smirftsch said, my personal estimate for the downfall of INF were mostly these 2 reasons:

1) wrongful bot accusation
2) a certain "rigidity" of players to change

The first reason is pretty obvious, Infiltration being the game it is, it is even better "suited" for classic aimbots than vanilla Unreal due to the simple fact so many weapons are point/click/instant hit. During my late high-time in the game there was rarely a game going on without somebody crying Wolf... err "bot" even if it was clear to most of the others the accusation was rubbish. It may be fun or even complimentary for a bit, but it gets old and annoying and highly game-destroying very very quickly, even more so than ACTUAL botters, who in many cases could be spotted by the knowledgeable who knew what to look for.

Now the 2nd reason I mentioned may look a bit strange and may even contradict Smirftsch's notice, but in my experience, the average Infiltration (Standoff) player was expecting his game to behave and look exactly like InfCD. My primarily for original Unreal written UTF has an Infiltration Gamebridge which I presented to Bee and one or two other admins/clan leaders in the scene, which allows you to play the same mode, it just didn't LOOK like it from the outside. Same with a (now long obsolete and no longer secret) anti-cheat I wrote which only came on use on a few servers. Despite the admins testing new things and even giving me a good review for what I offered they weren't the majority of players. And the latter made the impression that if "it doesn't look and feel exactly like InfCD which we have played for years, then we do not want it - even if it does the same or is better". So while players may have -WANTED- some bugs to be fixed, may have -WANTED- alternates to existing anti cheats, in practice when actually offered something, what followed were complaints and disapproval.

With 227 it is perfectly possible to play the "original" type/feel Standoff mode so all the players should feel at home, while being better protected. So yeah, since "alternates" did not really seem to work the only viable solution came too late... maybe... but with so many peoples' attitudes in game being so wrong it doesn't really matter any more does it? At times I had the impression if people didn't have a valid reason to complain about something they would just invent one.

With all that being said...

... I still had good times in INF, I was a late joiner to this game mode myself but for many reasons it was a good epoche of my gaming history, one I wouldn't want to miss for anything in my memory. I do not really believe the old times can be relived these days, getting all the old folks together in the same server at the same time would be a challenge by itself already, but then again, you never know... do ya...

... with loving memories,

SA|Wizard (retired)

-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 5:10am
Print Post  
Darkelarious of 333networks also runs INF games.
Unfortunately people running the mutator rather than game-mode are not obvious in the Ubrowser.
This is the same problem for Chaos.
People tend to favour the mutators so they can mix weapons and modes.

Hopefully this is something the 333master browser can solve, once the filter/search facility is in.

Gizzys CSWeapons pack is really hitting the spot for me, and the INF weapons are somewhat less desirable.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2014 at 6:40am by Dr.Flay™ »  
IP Logged

TCP_Wolf
Forum Administrator

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2014 at 5:47pm
Print Post  

-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

Shambler
Board Moderator

Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2014 at 4:51am
Print Post  
Ya I think making InfCD closed source and obfuscated like I did, was a mistake then - and then either I deleted the source when I was done with Unreal1, or lost it in a hard drive crash.

In a way though, kind of nice to know it was liked that well, haha Wink my first real coding project (or rather, an extension of it).

The bot accusations/paranoia really were the death of the community alright, ya - no resolution to it really: either you accept that you don't know if you're playing a straight game, or you get ultra-paranoid about it and all the fun is sucked out of the game, watching for people cheating, and making bad calls about who is/isn't cheating (I should have stayed away from adminning servers really).

The drama though in the Inf community was neverending, and pretty unhealthy/toxic - I'd not stick with a community so long again today, that turned out like that - even though there were plenty of good times playing.

Must be about 10 years now since I stopped playing Unreal1 - don't remember a great deal of it in detail, but was a damn fun game alright Smiley

I've been lucky enough to find a couple of other tight-knit communities since then, in UT2004 Onslaught and briefly in TF2, and it's no contest:
No game is as fun, as when you're playing alongside a good tight-knit community; they're hard to find, but worth it when you do find them.

IP Logged

Cow

Old Skoolrz rule and some
are forgotten

Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Those long nights were fun, staying up until 5am having to get up at 7am to go to work, but I agree, with all the bots that were out there, people calling people botters because of how they played even though most weren't.

I think what I really enjoyed the most was the community inf had, even though most never met each other in r/l, you knew people were there for you.

I left inf for a while do to moving and going back to college, but when I came back, everything changed, clans were gone, servers were down to I think 3 or 4, people had left and moved on to other games, some members of my clan were still around, unreal soldier, gravedigger, wolf and JBE moved on, the others I just lost touch with, most of SOB were gone, same with QSF.

I started playing back when there were two main clans SOB and 4C, ( daddybones and santamask) I played hard trying to get into either, finally had a "try out" with 4C, after about an hour of game play, I was told to put the tag on, great day and many great ones after that, sadly, they broke up about a year later, and that is when I started TA, some liked us, most hated us, but we did have Unreal Soldier on our team, man was he good. We had some good players and some bad, found out DJ_plenty and his friend dj_hard were botting and kicked them, not sure what really happened to them, think they changed their name and joined one of the many new clans that were starting at that time.

I could go on and on about the great community that inf had/has, just glad to see some of the old names are still out, even though most have moved on, they are remembered.

Death is only the beginning

IP Logged

[C]smokedham

World Of SYN

Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
C because they seemed to be the best and pissed everyone off. yep datz us, C wuz da beast ppl luv 2 h8  Cool
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2014 at 9:29am by [C]smokedham »  

IP Logged

[C]smokedham

World Of SYN

Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 12:06am
Print Post  
shamb u iz rite shudnt of been adminin serverz, shamb u wuz known  4 banning [C] membz, SA  cudnt take us, yaw scared of  pickle , bacon, blud, n myself,.... cow u mean, unreal soldier who? abe same mf who live 45 min from me, almost broke triple 100'z  wit him jbe n me on xteeth n i still won 16 -12

IP Logged

LifesBane

Old Oldunreal Member

Reply #10 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Cow wrote on Sep 2nd, 2014 at 10:04am:
I left inf for a while do to moving and going back to college, but when I came back, everything changed, clans were gone, servers were down to I think 3 or 4, people had left and moved on to other games, some members of my clan were still around, unreal soldier, gravedigger, wolf and JBE moved on, the others I just lost touch with, most of SOB were gone, same with QSF.

I started playing back when there were two main clans SOB and 4C, ( daddybones and santamask) I played hard trying to get into either, finally had a "try out" with 4C, after about an hour of game play, I was told to put the tag on, great day and many great ones after that, sadly, they broke up about a year later, and that is when I started TA, some liked us, most hated us, but we did have Unreal Soldier on our team, man was he good. We had some good players and some bad, found out DJ_plenty and his friend dj_hard were botting and kicked them, not sure what really happened to them, think they changed their name and joined one of the many new clans that were starting at that time.

So funny to log back in -- what, 15 years later? -- and see some familiar names around.  If you ever see this, I hope all has been well for you Cow!

IP Logged

Beemo The Heartless

Woof woof!

Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2015 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Yeah, Infiltration was the best. Where have all the good times gone? I haven't played Unreal Gold in years, I come back a month ago, and all of the servers are either gone or empty. What happened...? Good thing people still play coop, DM, and let's not forget Monster Mash.

Gibilicious!

IP Logged

[SA]Downmagic

Oldunreal member

Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 3:52am
Print Post  
After a long time away, i got the random urge come back and see how the old game was doing. This is where gaming began for me and I really loved this game.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #13 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Still wondering if it couldn't be possible to get some decent inf playerbase back to play a few rounds Smiley

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

[SA]Downmagic

Oldunreal member

Reply #14 - Mar 5th, 2015 at 1:45am
Print Post  
I might still have Serpents contact information. I will try and reach out to him. Everyone else I kind of lost when MSN messanger went away.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo