Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A death trigger? (Read 6241 times)
HisHighness

Kneel.

A death trigger?
Jan 22nd, 2014 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
I made a mistake back in my Mushroom Kingdom map.

You see I made warp pipes that lead to an underground bonus zone, but the music had to switch from overworld to underground. I did this by using switches that were linked to MusicEvent actors between the warp pipes and the teleport actors to make it work.

It did, but there's only one problem I overlooked. Namely the fact that if you die in this bonus zone, you respawn back to overworld with underground music still on!

So my question is, can I make a switch that triggers a MusicEvent when your character dies? I know I can edit the script, but I thought you guys could help me out with it.

I'm a king, and I can prove it to you.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Re: A death trigger?
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Links back to the question asked by MusicallyInspired some times ago. Unless you make a custom script, what you could do is spawn the players a bit above the ground and add a trigger under the PlayerStarts, which activates a musicevent that restarts the original music.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

HisHighness

Kneel.

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
...But doesn't that trigger every time someone walks over it?
That won't work, at least not in the long term...

What I could do is make one trigger with a range as big as the map which triggers the MusicEvent. Though I doubt it would work properly.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
We discussed the idea in MusicallyInspired's topic: the problem is that the trigger will trigger over everytime someone walks into another trigger, does not trigger reliably on starting the map (remains inactive until the player moves), etc. However, if that part of your level has no other trigger, then it's a possible alternative.

IP Logged

HisHighness

Kneel.

Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Hmmm... Well a MusicEvent triggers for the player only to prevent others from hearing the same changes. My only question that remains is, will the trigger repeat it's actions during gameplay? If that would be the case, I would have to adjust some scripts..

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
A trigger will repeat its action each time the player enters its radius. It will be triggered if the player enters the trigger's radius, enters another trigger's radius then exit it while remaining inside your "big" trigger's radius, and may (haven't tested" trigger whenever a player spawns inside it. However, you can make a complex set to change all that. Here's a proposition :

The map is divided into two part : 1 and 2.

Near the PlayerStarts, place a trigger with normal radius with Object=>InitialState=>OtherTriggerToggle.

This trigger activates a dispatchers which a) triggers a musicevent with the "normal" music, and b) triggers the trigger, so that it is turned off.

When the player goes from part 1 to part 2, he enters another trigger which triggers a dispatcher which triggers the second musicevent (the one with the second music for the underground) and then activates the first trigger near the playerstarts, so that while the trigger is currently turned off, it is now turned ON, in order for it to be triggerable when a player dies and respawnes here.

This is still subject to many problems. For instance, aplayer dying several times in part 1 will, retrigger the normal music every third spawn (first spawn: trigger then disable, second spawn: reenable, third spawn: trigger then disable).

Other than that, there is no easy way. Again, Unreal has no system to tie a specific music to a specific zone of the map.

IP Logged

HisHighness

Kneel.

Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
It's a flaw in the engine. You could've done it easier with zones. But it would take too much tweaking to do that now.

The trigger system shouldn't get too complicated. Because the thing I've learned with these things is that when you make it too complicated, you get more glitches and problems.

I think scripting is the best option here, there's really no other way except for making a mathematical trigger equation.  Which is probably even harder than scripting itself..  Undecided

IP Logged

MusicallyInspired

Oldunreal member

Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
This is an annoying problem that I still haven't solved. I'm forced to just make each map change music at key points in the linear progression of solving the map and just not worry about the fact that the player might (and probably will) backtrack. It was much easier to do things like this in Unreal SP because the game is much more linear in its map design.

SC-55 Music Packs
Roland SC-55 Music Packs for old DOS games!
IP Logged

Radi

UEd goblin

Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 3:40am
Print Post  
Hey guys. Im just very sleepy and maybe my brain is not working as usual but I think solution must be somewhere, hmmm. . Let me think. . Two areas, two musics. Player can spawn randomly in these two areas so . Hmmm, dispatcher method as Hellkeeper mentioned has some flaws.
What about putting playerstarts not directly as usual, but in some kind of spawn-box with Trigger connected to MusicEvent and one-way teleport slightly below to send player to correct spawn-spot ? Imagine spawn within milion particles before player arrive on map. This way choosen music can be triggered only when needed without accidentally retriggering.  . ..Oh Im almost asleep writing this. Correct me if my thoughts are wrong.
good night/day and cheers.

IP Logged

MusicallyInspired

Oldunreal member

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 4:51am
Print Post  
I'm not sure that would work with me as I'm working with pre-existing maps and simply adding triggers and MusicEvents to various areas. I'm not sure I entirely follow your line of thinking, though. Could you explain a little more clearly? I realize you were tired when you wrote this...

SC-55 Music Packs
IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 11:42am
Print Post  
I think he means you could spawn the player in small cubes outside the map, which are not connected to anything.
The player spawns a bit above the ground.

He falls down towards the ground, in his small separated cube, and enters a trigger's radius, then a teleporter.

The teleporter sends him to his spawnpoint IN THE MAP (that is, instead of playerstarts, you have teleporters linking to small rooms with the playerstart), and the trigger activates the music you want.

So basically, the map remains unchanged, but instead of playerstarts, you put teleporters. For each teleporter, you make a small room outside the map with the playerstart above the ground, a trigger under it and a teleporter under it. Then, in the small room, add loads of particles to make a fake spawning effect, as if the player was emerging from the afterlife or from a teleport module.

At least that's what I think Radi means, maybe I didn't understand clearly.

If I dead, you can look at my map DmExar : the teleporter sends you through a hyperspace tunnel before reaching your destination (just like in one of the maps in Unreal, on the Mothership, can't remember the name) : basically, something like that but vertical and with a playerstart at the beginning instead of the first teleporter.

IP Logged

Radi

UEd goblin

Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
@MusicallyInspired: Im making a simple test map now to help you out. If I done then I post a link and you should easily see what this is done in editor. Maybe I wrong with this idea but I give a try. stay tuned

EDIT: this all if for DM map?   ..if we have a two players in map, one player is in zone 1 and other player triggers music in zone 2. This way music change for player 1 too ? ? please explain someone Smiley

IP Logged

MusicallyInspired

Oldunreal member

Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Ah. I'm not too sure how that would help me as I'm working with single player maps and most of them are interconnected and don't make sense to have a teleport effect. Also, this doesn't really help my problem of toggling two different themes when passing between two different areas (ie my sewer/streets problem).

You can set MusicEvents to trigger for just the player triggering it or for everyone.

SC-55 Music Packs
IP Logged

Radi

UEd goblin

Reply #13 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
This teleport effect is almost not visible, looks like normal spawn for player.
..too much work and less free time for me, what a shame, but I going continue on this test map later today, even for my own experience. This not means that I not inform you when it is ready (if I manage to do something). I never doing something like this but should be done.

As for toogling music by passing between two areas.. for me it is working, but need more tweaks.
Basically you need this for SP-map with coop support, yes?

IP Logged

MusicallyInspired

Oldunreal member

Reply #14 - Mar 16th, 2014 at 5:20am
Print Post  
Yes, that's correct.

SC-55 Music Packs
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo