Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Klingon Honor Guard UMX Project (De-CD-ification) (Read 2304 times)
Amaroq Clearwater

Check my signature for
a link to my character
bio.

Re: Klingon Honor Guard UMX Project (De-CD-ification)
Reply #15 - Apr 2nd, 2014 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Oh. In that case, these new UMXs probably take up a lot of space. What method do you use? Do you convert them to Oggs for 227, or do you use ModPlug tracker?

----

Something I do is I use Audacity to down-sample the song from 44.1 kHz to 32 kHz (using the Highest-quality resampling method), then when I import it as a sample in ModPlug Tracker, I split the sample into two Mono samples, one for Left Channel and one for Right channel. Next, I convert them to 8-bit.

This is a good way to reduce the file size without sacrificing too much quality, and making it still be compatible with UE1 since it isn't trying to read a single Stereo sample. Sadly, I can only bring down the file size so far unless I want to resort to converting it to mono or bringing it down to 22.05 kHz. There is also the option of using Oggs (for 227), but those don't support looping points.

----

By the way, how did you hack your DLL file? I don't have any files that will let me do that. At least, in English, all I get is machine language.
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2014 at 4:06am by Amaroq Clearwater »  

Read the bio for my fursona here:
*OUTDATED LINK, WILL BE REPLACED SOON*

---

"Daddy, I had a nightmare."
"What is it, darling?"
"The next Unreal won't have Deck16..."
"That's harsh."
IP Logged

MusicallyInspired

Oldunreal member

Reply #16 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
I could lower the quality but my goal is to preserve the quality and make the experience as seamless and authentic as possible. I'm not a fan of downgrading audio quality. Also, 227 is not available for KHG. There was a project on these forums to update it manually, but it seems to have been abandoned.

I can't remember what the name of the program I used was, but I followed instructions I found specifically foe KHG online somewhere.

SC-55 Music Packs
Roland SC-55 Music Packs for old DOS games!
IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Reply #17 - Apr 10th, 2014 at 3:00am
Print Post  
Ummm, I don't suppose this would be another game that uses GameSpy ?  Undecided

IP Logged

MusicallyInspired

Oldunreal member

Reply #18 - Apr 26th, 2014 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Actually KHG used HEAT.

SC-55 Music Packs
IP Logged

MusicallyInspired

Oldunreal member

Reply #19 - Apr 26th, 2014 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Amaroq Clearwater wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 3:40pm:
By the way, how did you hack your DLL file? I don't have any files that will let me do that. At least, in English, all I get is machine language.

Replying again because I found the website that explained the process.

http://www.woodmann.com/krobar/tutlist/tutlist1060.htm

It ultimately came to hex editing it, but to know what to hex edit you had to run a program called Wdasm which ran in the background, I believe, while the game was running and captured all the system calls and whatnot. Or something. It shows where and why the CD drive is accessed and it involves just change the values in the hex editor to something different so that the game just never checks for the CD and just assumes it's always there. It's all there on the website, anyway.

SC-55 Music Packs
IP Logged

Victor Delacroix
Betatester

Lord of the Dark Glyphs

Reply #20 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Has there been any progress with this? When can we expect all the tracks converted? Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

MusicallyInspired

Oldunreal member

Reply #21 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
I haven't had any time to do any more (or even finish the first one). I have the CD ripped versions all complete but rearranging them in MOD format manually with decent quality takes a while.

As far as implementation into the game, that's mostly done as well. I was trying to find a way to transition from one track to another every time you enter/exit an airlock in space, but haven't found an acceptable method of doing that yet. I can fake it as long as you stay on a predefined path but who's to say a player won't go back in the way he came? The music wouldn't switch back.

I can upload what I have. I can try to do that this week.

SC-55 Music Packs
IP Logged

Amaroq Clearwater

Check my signature for
a link to my character
bio.

Reply #22 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
For those of us who are running 227, you can upload the Ogg versions right away. Meanwhile, you can find instructions on the OpenMPT forums to enable ImpulseTracker module compression (OpenMPT's compression is actually several times more efficient than IT's own compression). Because it compresses the modules and contained samples through deflation, you don't lose any audio fidelity. Meanwhile, you can also convert the samples to FLAC.

Read the bio for my fursona here:
*OUTDATED LINK, WILL BE REPLACED SOON*

---

"Daddy, I had a nightmare."
"What is it, darling?"
"The next Unreal won't have Deck16..."
"That's harsh."
IP Logged

MusicallyInspired

Oldunreal member

Reply #23 - May 28th, 2015 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Ok, very late but here's the project in its current form. All the levels that use music in the game (all the SP levels, basically) are included and have been set up to trigger the included UMX files instead of triggering CD tracks. You may have to insure that music is enabled in advanced options (not in the game itself, that will toggle CD music tracks only, I believe, which wouldn't work at all for these maps). It's pretty hefty at 254MB.

A reminder that this is not the re-tracked music from scratch as I am no where near finishing that. In fact, I haven't made any progress at all since the initial test with track2.it. These UMX's are ripped straight from the redbook tracks on the CD. They are, however, edited for perfect seamless playback. I haven't created compressed UMX versions yet, but with these included files one could do that easily I suppose. But again, those won't work with KHG 1.1. Actually, I'm not even sure if these will work with KHG 1.0. You can try it. I'd be interested to find out, actually.

https://www.mediafire.com/?ttqhlu43e2c8a48 (254 MB)

And here's the OGG version of the pack. Much smaller, but only works in 227.

https://www.mediafire.com/?awsb65zgo7d0amw (45.2MB)

SC-55 Music Packs
IP Logged

Lurker

UnrealEd Modder, Mapper
& Coder since 1998

Reply #24 - Jun 1st, 2015 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
MusicallyInspired wrote on May 28th, 2015 at 12:58am:
Ok, very late but here's the project in its current form. All the levels that use music in the game (all the SP levels, basically) are included and have been set up to trigger the included UMX files instead of triggering CD tracks. You may have to insure that music is enabled in advanced options (not in the game itself, that will toggle CD music tracks only, I believe, which wouldn't work at all for these maps). It's pretty hefty at 254MB.

A reminder that this is not the re-tracked music from scratch as I am no where near finishing that. In fact, I haven't made any progress at all since the initial test with track2.it. These UMX's are ripped straight from the redbook tracks on the CD. They are, however, edited for perfect seamless playback. I haven't created compressed UMX versions yet, but with these included files one could do that easily I suppose. But again, those won't work with KHG 1.1. Actually, I'm not even sure if these will work with KHG 1.0. You can try it. I'd be interested to find out, actually.

https://www.mediafire.com/?ttqhlu43e2c8a48 (254 MB)

Good work. Thanks for this release!
I have downloaded your package and I will install and try it with KHG v1.1

By the way, your tracker music files do already come compiled in Unreal's UMX music packages, unless you uploaded a different pack as intended.

I said "compiled", because the tracker files inside *.umx packages are not compressed actually, they are just stored in uncompressed form with the Unreal Header information at the top (see in hex editor). Same for *.uax sound and .utx texture packages. That's why the gamefiles can become so big sometimes. I can see that your umx packages are about 20-30 MB in size each. That's huge indeed.

I assume you have created the tracker files themselves with ModPlug Tracker. That's the easiest way. Just export an entire song from a CD as a WAV file and convert it into a single tracker instrument, then loop the entire instrument seamlessly on one or more patterns. Finally save the converted song as an ImpulseTracker *.it file and compile it as an .umx music package with UnrealEd.  Cool
You have done a good job for doing this with every single song from the KHG CD.

Finally I think your topic should be moved to the Klingon Honor Guard forum section and your pack released as an official "music mod" for KHG. But that's your decision.

IP Logged

Lurker

UnrealEd Modder, Mapper
& Coder since 1998

Reply #25 - Jun 1st, 2015 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
By the way, there is a simple but effective trick to minimize the size of tracker files and umx music packages by 50 to 75%:

After you exported the raw WAVs from the CD, downsample them from 44100 to 22050 Hz and use mono instead of stereo channels.
And then use them as instruments in ModPlug Tracker.

The sound quality may suffer from it though. That's the only disadvantage.

IP Logged

MusicallyInspired

Oldunreal member

Reply #26 - Jun 1st, 2015 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Yeah I'm aware of the process. The seond pack I uploaded was for UMX packed OGG files which only work with 227.

I'm not a fan of sacrificing quality as these tracks deserve to be heard in the best way possible. So no mono and no 22khz.

SC-55 Music Packs
IP Logged

SireErec

Oldunreal member

Reply #27 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
So is this project still going if i may ask?

Cutscenes is one thing that can be workaround with an Image (maybe the game can be forced to look elsewhere as well, i dont know)

But the music is still one thing i miss in the game.

IP Logged

Kurn

Oldunreal member

Reply #28 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
SireErec wrote on Oct 19th, 2017 at 4:43pm:

Cutscenes is one thing that can be workaround with an Image (maybe the game can be forced to look elsewhere as well, i dont know)

I play KHG on Win10 and WInXP with music. Before you start the game just right click on the mounted image of CD2, "Autoplay" and than play the music with windows media player in the background, while you start the game.

IP Logged

MusicallyInspired

Oldunreal member

Reply #29 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
SireErec wrote on Oct 19th, 2017 at 4:43pm:

I have a pack which has all the game maps tweaked to play UMX files for music instead of CD tracks along with the corresponding UMX files (which are huge because they contain two mono full length WAV files for "instruments"). So the whole thing is over 200MB. I've been wary of distributing it because, well, it's the original maps...

SC-55 Music Packs
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo