logo
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic DmPiraeus (Read 3804 times)
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

DmPiraeus
Nov 18th, 2013 at 10:34pm
Print Post  

Download Piraeus (1545KO)

Welcome to the Nali port-city of Piraeus. The harbour is closed at night. But don't worry, there are enough opponents and weapons to make nightly tourism exciting.

For once, this is not a science-fiction map with the usual 4 rooms per 3 stories : it's an actual city. It's also more than my usual 2/3 players, you can add twice this number, and the game will be interesting.

The arsenal is a little larger than usual : all weapons are there, with two rocket-launchers, two snipers, two ASMDs. The map is medium-sized with the city, the inside of some buildings, the dock, the under-grounds, and some passages from here to there.

The map was finished in a rush, any comment appreciated! 227 of course required.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2014 at 4:23pm by Hellkeeper »  

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Sly.

Oldunreal member

Re: DmPiraeus
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 12:38am
Print Post  
This looks pretty! At least given the looks it's nice, Hellkeeper.

I wonder how the gameplay is though, time to give it a go. Cheesy

IP Logged

strategy-(DOG)-

-(DOG)-clan | Oldunreal

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2013 at 8:45am
Print Post  
this is an awesome map! huge fun to play!
great work hellkeeper! ty! Smiley

WOOF!

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Radi

UEd goblin

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 1:18am
Print Post  
What a very nice map ! Smiley everything looking good, I can feel heart and sweat put in this level, lighting is done very good, layout and architecture/layout/details too. Item placement is another thing done right I like skybox you made, also that border informing players as they swim too far is a neat idea Smiley 9/10 for me Smiley thanks for sharing

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
UPDATE: fixed a geometry bug. Should not be visible.
Also, added three lacking fire effects in sconces. The duplicate function tends to "miss" some actors. The blue crystal now rotates correctly.

IP Logged

Turboman.
God Member
Developer Team

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Amazing map, i love the amount of detail you put into it and how creative you are with the Skycity theme.
It also shows how awful i am in deathmatch as i get destroyed everywhere i go.

This would suit perfectly for some very atmospheric singleplayer story, you should really consider something like that!

One minor criticism though, on my laptop screen the border of the oceanfloor is clearly visible, maybe tone down or disable the ambientbrightness in there a bit?

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Sorry I noticed this reply so late. But I won't let feedback go unnoticed.

The ocean floor might be visible indeed. I tend to work with a quite dark "brightness" setting in Unreal and UT (darker than the default setting), and this affects how I see things. The map is very dark on my computer and is supposed to be, as seen on the screenshots. However, it seems most people play with either the default setting, or a brighter one. So yeah, unfortunately, things will look a bit whitewashed, and some details which I overlooked, or wanted to hide in the dark may become visible, for instance the ocean floor's limits.

However, I will not go back to the map because I try not to make dozens of changes. Moreover, this is a small detail, and should not cause any problem or alter the gameplay or visuals in a noticeable way.

As for singleplayer stories, I get such comments everytime I issue an Unreal map. Though I never made one, I hope I'll someday be part of an Unreal singleplayer map pack, but I have no idea for a story or a system myself, and most projects I see have either clichéd stories (starting with the infamous "you crashed; escape" one) or no clear direction.

I need either good ideas, or to join people who have, but it seems I can't find any.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo