Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Unreal Model\Anim exporting? (Read 2413 times)
Blu3Haz3

Oldunreal member

Unreal Model\Anim exporting?
Oct 7th, 2013 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Ever since I wanted to open a server I also wanted to know of how I could open a .3d file in 3ds Max, because the umodel exporter by Gildor only exports .3d for Unreal 1.  In anycase, I'd love to be able to add more animations and features without having to reanimate and retexture the whole model.  And the other problem is keeping the original texture mapped on the monster Shocked

But all I don't understand is that .3d format, what use is it exporting a .3d if it is a unknown file type.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Re: Unreal Model\Anim exporting?
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
I would dig it out if I could remember where I read about it. I'm no modeller unfortunately I have no clue about 3DS, but if I'm not entirely wrong I read about some tool or plugin for 3DS to import these.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

AlCapowned

Oldunreal member

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
If you want to add animations without retexturing the models, you have two options (and they both really suck):

1. You can use UTPT to export all of the frames into one big *.3ds file. More often than not, you'll get an error message saying "Unknown file format" when you try to import them. In that case you'll have to get another program that can read the files and make them useable in 3DS Max (I use 3D Object Converter, I don't know if there are other programs like it). The other problem this method has is that the vertices will not be welded, so a lot of meshes can't have modified fatness values without tearing holes in themselves; this can sometimes be fixed by the VertexWeld modifier in 3DS Max, but it doesn't always work. This method also lets you export the mesh into the *.3d format with UTPT, and then you can export a single frame as a *.3ds file to rig/animate in 3DS Max. I've had trouble with getting this to work in the past, though, so it's not easy.

2. You can export every single animation frame one-by-one with 227's OBJ export feature. This is very time consuming compared to the first method, but you won't have "Unknown file format" problems with the *.obj files or the mesh tearing problem (unless the mesh had it to begin with). With this method, you can't export the mesh in the *.3d format and append animations; you'll have to export every single frame manually. The benefit of this method is that you can use Z-Enzyme's/Qtit's model editing methods to add extra parts and make other changes to Unreal models. You can find his posts somewhere in UnrealSP (content creation/modelling thread, most likely).

IP Logged

Blu3Haz3

Oldunreal member

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
AlCapowned wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 at 7:23pm:
If you want to add animations without retexturing the models, you have two options (and they both really suck):

1. You can use UTPT to export all of the frames into one big *.3ds file. More often than not, you'll get an error message saying "Unknown file format" when you try to import them. In that case you'll have to get another program that can read the files and make them useable in 3DS Max (I use 3D Object Converter, I don't know if there are other programs like it). The other problem this method has is that the vertices will not be welded, so a lot of meshes can't have modified fatness values without tearing holes in themselves; this can sometimes be fixed by the VertexWeld modifier in 3DS Max, but it doesn't always work. This method also lets you export the mesh into the *.3d format with UTPT, and then you can export a single frame as a *.3ds file to rig/animate in 3DS Max. I've had trouble with getting this to work in the past, though, so it's not easy.

2. You can export every single animation frame one-by-one with 227's OBJ export feature. This is very time consuming compared to the first method, but you won't have "Unknown file format" problems with the *.obj files or the mesh tearing problem (unless the mesh had it to begin with). With this method, you can't export the mesh in the *.3d format and append animations; you'll have to export every single frame manually. The benefit of this method is that you can use Z-Enzyme's/Qtit's model editing methods to add extra parts and make other changes to Unreal models. You can find his posts somewhere in UnrealSP (content creation/modelling thread, most likely).

Oh man yeah, this is good stuff... in fact with WOTGreal Advanced Exporter tool, I can export all frames into a 3ds file too but the issue is I get that same error file format message like you do.  So I'll look into it a lot more now, and thanks for giving me some help.  I may not get anywhere further without it, thanks!

I'll make sure to check out Z-Enzyme's material, I've seen some nice stuff in the past.

IP Logged

mcfarrel

Unreal

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2014 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Problem described here is the [probelm of UTPT 2.05, it is rather strange because I have used UTPT before and no problem occured. Then I found the version of UTPT used by me for previous exports was the UTPT 2.03. So the higher version is capable of visualising mesh but the 3ds export is broken.

More than that WOTgreal uses probably the pas source code of UTPT 2.05. BTW did somebody tested the newer releases/builds of WOTGreal. Also there is problem with MESh (NOT LodMesh) objects with WOTGreal...

But I did not have had enough time to test whether or not is the utpackage.pas source of Anttonio's broken and screwed up or He does Screwed up a compilation of latest version...

IP Logged

AlCapowned

Oldunreal member

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2014 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Do you still have UTPT 2.03? I'd like to use it for exporting stuff into 3ds files if it lets you export every frame like 2.05 does. I have UTPT 1.6, but that one only export individual frames from what I can tell.

IP Logged

Blu3Haz3

Oldunreal member

Reply #6 - May 14th, 2014 at 5:06am
Print Post  
I talked to the author of WOTGreal about his Mesh Exporter and he pretty much concluded that the .3ds exporter is too outdated for the latest autodesk products, but you 'may' be able to open it in Blender?

IP Logged

luke11685

Oldunreal member

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
How to correctly and properly export new textures into Unreal Editor 1?

IP Logged

Kajgue
Global Moderator
Betatester

Super-sexy-Kung-Fu-H
obo-sunva-bitch

Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Heya Luke,

Just to clarify, do you mean textures 'from' an Unreal package, or do you mean importing 'into' an Unreal package?

Just not sure what you mean yet due to the presence of the word 'exporting' and 'into' XP

AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard

Whistleblower Ted Gunderson
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo