Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Mobile version please! (Read 2794 times)
Buster
Global Moderator

Mobile version please!
Dec 30th, 2012 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
I'd really like to see a mobile friendly version of the Oldunreal Forums. I'm posting this here, because I can only access the top (first) section of the Forums. I've tried a couple browsers on my HTC Wildfire S cell, but the result is the same. A mobile version please.

Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

BobIsUnreal
God Member

gonna be dead soon, gg

Re: Mobile version please!
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2012 at 12:22am
Print Post  
i ask of you to do this. thanks buster for bringing it up.
I often browse the new posts via rss  via Google reader app ,. but the rss is unreliable . many posts are skipped in any reader apps i tried.

a few days ago i want to post a quick reply ...

I tried 5 different browsers , opera , Firefox , dolphin , desktop browser and the stock android browser,
(chrome inst available for my older device)

Firefox was the only one that came close to almost working.
but it failed after I scrolled a bit higher or lower then a few posts -it  was just cut off.

the iframe stuffs gotta go  i think , too many scrollable bits that dont translate well into a mobile device.

unrealsp has a mobile freindly interface and beyond unreal forums even has a custom android app!
oldunreal needs somthing too!!

prehaps set up a subdomain m.oldunreal.com that redirects directly to the forum without the iframes?

there is also forum runner , but that would cost you guys money , so i wont wont even suggest that

i also tried a few free apps designed for viewing  forums , but none worked with yabb.

[REM_img]http://i.imgur.com/V3OSsDu.gif.disable[/img]http://i.imgur.com/JOu38Gs.gif
IP Logged

William(Rainman)
God Member

Pancaking Skaarj Troopers
with the Cicada.

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2012 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Yeah sometimes when I Try to Access this Site on my Ipod it won't let me Scroll down and when I try to Zoom in the Page looks Weird. I Support a Mobile Application!

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2012 at 8:01am
Print Post  
lol, my old Nokia E73 does the trick with Opera Mobile browser Cheesy

Either way, you can try to use another template I made for this (well, not entirely updated yet, but should do it). Try with "OldStyle" variant in your UserCP -> Options and give me feedback.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

xan1242

Oldunreal member

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2012 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
You can scroll through the site, but you must click on the bar to the right to scroll.

It sucked on my Nokia X6 with Opera Mobile, though, because it's really hard to reach.

And you know what - I thought of asking the same thing just last night...

YouTube  
IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2012 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
I can't scroll down enough in Options to see the setting. Also, I can't get to save any changes. And there's no tiny scroll bar to fumble with. So I just log in and get only the top of the General section.

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

Feralidragon
Betatester

Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2012 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Same thing here too.
A funny fact is that mobile browsers are generally to picky on the html parsing (for performance sake I imagine), while pc browsers are more flexible and can still show a page even if it has some html errors.

What I am trying to say is: if in mobile it doesn't scroll down, it can be a css property that is still not widely supported in mobile browsers or (most likely) there's some html error on the page (like missing closing tags).

Check one of the forum pages with an html validator and check what's wrong, probably all you need to do is to add a missing closing tag to the template html.

IP Logged

xan1242

Oldunreal member

Reply #7 - Dec 31st, 2012 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
If that is so, then how come I was able to browse the site just fine on Opera Mobile? Phone's internal browsers usually suck, so I really recommend you to use Opera Mobile, as it is pretty compatible with PC sites and it's flexible. (not Mini because that one is different)

It got past the Acid3 test on my phone, so I guess it will be good for a mobile browser.

How come it doesn't work for you? I have a crappy S60 5th edition phone, and you have an Android phone.

Look really close to the right, all the way, right below the old Unreal banner there is a scroll bar.

YouTube  
IP Logged

Feralidragon
Betatester

Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 2:30am
Print Post  
Each one of the major browsers have a distinct engine behind them, so each one will behave differently, and the mobile versions are generally stripped down or/and optimized.

I actually did full mobile websites as a job, and I can say as a matter of fact that any slight html error "may" break the page in one way or another in mobile, while in pc browsers it doesn't since those generally try to be "smart" and add the closing tags by themselves (which works quite well).

And btw, I use Dolphin in Android 2.3 (Froyo), and where I work we have tons of phones so I can test the sites/pages mobile I create, and I already had to face such "strange" errors and were always related to some html error that wasn't detected in pc browsers, or some unsupported or glitched css property in Android.
Android as OS is a mess of code btw, fragmented in each new version, so don't wonder why such problems happen *constantly*.

Also, the solution is not using another browser, the solution is to see what's wrong with the template and fix it so it works everywhere else, otherwise the site will always loose mobile visits, thus decreasing potential interest from Unreal fans relative the site.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #9 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 10:03am
Print Post  
I'm quite sure that in this case the usage of CSS to create some sort of "frames" is causing the trouble on most mobile browsers.
That for my suggestion to try the other template which contains only the forums itself, without any further navigation to the left.

You can set the other template also from PC for your user profile to see then if my assumption is right for your mobile device.

The page is valid html btw, but that doesn't change the problem. Thing is, I can't verify such problems with different mobile browser because I only have this one old Nokia yet. I always wanted to get some SIII Galaxy phone, but on the other hand my old phone still does anything I need, so why paying any money for something I don't need.

Either way, please try with the OldStyle template and tell me if you have still trouble (which I doubt).
Then I can see if there are some CSS tricks to avoid the problem on the main template.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #10 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Smirftsch wrote on Jan 1st, 2013 at 10:03am:
on the other hand my old phone still does anything I need, so why paying any money for something I don't need.

Because all the cool kids have one. Don't you want to be cool ? Do you want to be uncool ? You won't be in the move with everyone. You won't be in or up. You'll be out.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Turboman.
God Member
Developer Team

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Yay the oldstyle template works like a charm! No more scrolling/blank page issues as on the normal site template!

posting this with my good ole galaxy s using the default android browser.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Reply #12 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Yeah !!

I got to a PC and changed the settings to Oldstyle. I can now get the whole forum on my HTC-A510a. Big time thanks for the info. Now all I need are younger fingers to smoothly type stuff out on my cell. Lmao. Now where the Hell are my reading glasses? Thanks !!

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

BobIsUnreal
God Member

gonna be dead soon, gg

Reply #13 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
the old style template does work ,
its fairly difficult to  login , it only seems to draw enough window in Firefox  to see the necessary Fields ,so i am forced to use oldunreal with firefox ( not my preferred mobile browser)

by defualt non logged in / new members will not  be able to use the site ,
I feel this is more a workaround then a fix. but w/e

[REM_img]http://i.imgur.com/V3OSsDu.gif.disable[/img]http://i.imgur.com/JOu38Gs.gif
IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #14 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
i also noted this. my PSP default browser wants to dowload yabb.pl like if it is a file and using opera mini on the PSP simply refuses to load the forum (the oldunreal logo and menu on the left loads but where the forum is supposed to be is an empty white space).

I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo