Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Skaarj Wars 1 - Mothership (1.1.2) (Read 16657 times)
MERCILESS

Oldunreal member

Skaarj Wars 1 - Mothership (1.1.2)
Dec 12th, 2012 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
As of 15/12/2012 I'm going to start putting the latest public version in the thread title so it's easier for you all to see when a new downloadable version is out.

I'm new here.  Smiley

Anyway, this is my first big mod. I have worked on mini projects in the past but this is my first major mod and it's my first Unreal mod that I've released onto the internet.

I'm not too experienced with UnrealEd (as you can probably tell if you download this) but I decided to have a crack at making a 16-level storyline mod. I made most of the levels myself although levels 1 and 16 are modified versions of DmRetrospective that I converted from Deathmatch to a playable Singleplayer map.

I will add a few screenies of the mod later. To play, open the console and type "open skm01" and enjoy. There are also difficulty settings too so if Normal difficulty's too easy you can move up a difficulty. To play on another, just start a new game with the difficulty you want then when it loads open the console and type "open skm01" and then you play the mod on your preferred difficulty.

This is my first big mod, so the levels are a bit small right now but I will work on expanding them possibly in later updates. I will also add some new deathmatch maps as part of this mod so there will be a lot in this mod eventually. Right now though there's only the 16 level storyline.

Levels 2-15 are made by me. Levels 1 and 16 were made by Krull (Steffen Eckenstaler) although I added a little extension to level 16. Right now it uses the same ending sequence as the one used by the original game but that will change hopefully in a later update.

The story starts as your sci-fi military base gets raided by a Skaarj war party and you have to fight em all and take out the problem at it's root encountering several twists and turns along the way.

Feedback and constructive criticism is welcome as always.  Smiley

Blue text: Public Release
Red text: Private Release
Current Version: 1.1.2
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?o9qldg8686nqg82 Version 1.1.2
It is a pretty large file compared to some most mods because it contains some new umx files.

* MERCILESS I hope you all enjoy this mod  Grin

Screenshots for those who are interested...
http://imgur.com//xPv9D,7wBHD,hPu2g,GqvyXaS,zxWeGuu,Rkaw8YL

MAJOR UPDATE LIST:
For those who want to see which major updates have been and gone...

Past Major Updates
Pilot Release v0.8.0
Initial Release v1.0.0
Bronze Update v1.1.0

To Come
Silver Update (Coming very soon...)
Gold Update
Platinum Update
Diamond Update
Penultimate Update
Ultimate Update (This will be the very last update)
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2013 at 12:05am by MERCILESS »  

IP Logged

BobIsUnreal
God Member

Guy who has too much time
invested to quit now

Re: Skaarj Wars 1 - Mothership
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2012 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Oh cool new stuff!
Ill look at it as soon as its uploaded ,
Everyone starts somewhere ,thanks for posting it here for us to see. Grin

[REM_img]http://i.imgur.com/V3OSsDu.gif.disable[/img]http://i.imgur.com/JOu38Gs.gif
IP Logged

Tronovision

OldUnreal Member

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 4:50am
Print Post  
Krull's maps are good in my books! Looking forward to playing this one.  Smiley

Just a question: does "Skaarj Wars 1" imply that there will be additional installations of this map series?

IP Logged

MERCILESS

Oldunreal member

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Tronovision wrote on Dec 13th, 2012 at 4:50am:
Krull's maps are good in my books! Looking forward to playing this one.  Smiley

Just a question: does "Skaarj Wars 1" imply that there will be additional installations of this map series?

I do have plans for 2 and 3 if this one goes well although I hope to make a fourth and fifth installation as well.

Krull only made levels 1 and 16 though btw, which are slightly modified versions of DmRetrospective. Although I was the one who did the modifications to the map by adapting it to singleplayer and adding a few expansions to it on level 16.

Download link and hopefully a few screenies will be up by this afternoon.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2012 at 3:35pm by MERCILESS »  

IP Logged

SteadZ

UMS Captain

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 10:53am
Print Post  
No synopsis? oh well, I'll be downloading this anyway to see what it's like Wink
Welcome to the formus and the Unreal Mapping community.

IP Logged

MERCILESS

Oldunreal member

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Link is up along with a short introduction to the storyline. I'm just getting some good screenshots right now.

IP Logged

BobIsUnreal
God Member

Guy who has too much time
invested to quit now

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
first map wont load in 227i !

Log: Checking package Emitter
Log: 33647328.1ms Loading: Package Terranius
Log: Bound to ALAudio.dll
Log: OpenAL: ALDEVICES found 1:GenericHardware
Log: OpenAL: ALDEVICES found 2:GenericSoftware
Log: OpenAL: Setting FMODOutput to DSOUND
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 0:PrimarySoundDriver
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 1:RealtekHDAudiooutput
Log: 33648078.1ms Loading: Package ALAudio
Log: Checking package ALAudio
Log: Failed import: Class Class ALAudio.EAXZone (file ..\System\ALAudio.u)
Warning: Failed to load 'SkM01': Can't find Class in file 'Class ALAudio.EAXZone'
Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find Class in file 'Class ALAudio.EAXZone'

map skM07 has a extra playerstart thatr put s you much closer to the ending if you die a gew times

map 8 is missing some files so i had to stop there

JCoopZ: ProcessServerTravel: SkM08#1?peer
Log: 36561718.8ms Loading: Package SkM08
Warning: Failed to load 'SkM': Can't find file for package 'SkM'
Warning: Failed to load 'SkM08': Can't find file for package 'SkM'
Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find file for package 'SkM'

[REM_img]http://i.imgur.com/V3OSsDu.gif.disable[/img]http://i.imgur.com/JOu38Gs.gif
IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Hmm, yea, EAXZone has been deprecated in favour of putting the settings into the main ZoneInfo (or, for fine-grained parameter settings, EFXZone).

IP Logged

MERCILESS

Oldunreal member

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
BobIsUnreal wrote on Dec 13th, 2012 at 8:42pm:
first map wont load in 227i !

Log: Checking package Emitter
Log: 33647328.1ms Loading: Package Terranius
Log: Bound to ALAudio.dll
Log: OpenAL: ALDEVICES found 1:GenericHardware
Log: OpenAL: ALDEVICES found 2:GenericSoftware
Log: OpenAL: Setting FMODOutput to DSOUND
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 0:PrimarySoundDriver
Log: OpenAL: FMOD device found 1:RealtekHDAudiooutput
Log: 33648078.1ms Loading: Package ALAudio
Log: Checking package ALAudio
Log: Failed import: Class Class ALAudio.EAXZone (file ..\System\ALAudio.u)
Warning: Failed to load 'SkM01': Can't find Class in file 'Class ALAudio.EAXZone'
Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find Class in file 'Class ALAudio.EAXZone'

map skM07 has a extra playerstart thatr put s you much closer to the ending if you die a gew times

map 8 is missing some files so i had to stop there

JCoopZ: ProcessServerTravel: SkM08#1?peer
Log: 36561718.8ms Loading: Package SkM08
Warning: Failed to load 'SkM': Can't find file for package 'SkM'
Warning: Failed to load 'SkM08': Can't find file for package 'SkM'
Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find file for package 'SkM'

I found and removed the second PlayerStart in level 7. I'm guessing you're on about the one in the core room that I forgot to delete.

As for the package SkM, I think that was a texture file that I created for a couple of thing spinning things in level 8 that I forgot to add to the zip file. I'm still confused about the EAXZone thing though.

UPDATE:
It seems only those with the 227i patch have been affected by this as I was running the 227g patch when playtesting this (227h kept glitching out on me) and it ran with virtually no flaws. However this is a critical bug and I will be bringing a fix out pretty quickly once I can find a way to sort this problem.
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2012 at 11:42pm by MERCILESS »  

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #9 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Like I said, you need to use 227i to edit it and then replace all EAXZones with ZoneInfos (the EAX/EFX settings are now under "EFX" in ZoneInfo properties). That, or create a dummy package with:
Code
Select All
class EAXZone extends ZoneInfo; 

And possibly reassign the values in the class to the new ones. Although the latter option may cause problems on non-227i.

IP Logged

SteadZ

UMS Captain

Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Pretty good first map pack, though the corridors can get a little repetative. I've had good fun so far, got to the Gozak surface...

I look forward to the sequels, and I hope that your mapping knowledge continues to grow- everyone starts somewhere Smiley

Hope that you upload the fix soon.

IP Logged

MERCILESS

Oldunreal member

Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
If everything goes well, the 1.1.0 1.0.2 update should hopefully be up later this evening. I'm just testing a fix out for that EAXZone thing.

UPDATE: Looks promising so far. Gonna run a couple of playtests.

UPDATE 2: I will now also start putting the latest public version in the thread title so you can see when a new downloadable version is up. Also I decided to number it 1.0.2 instead of 1.1.0 since nothing really big was added or changed.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2012 at 12:02am by MERCILESS »  

IP Logged

MERCILESS

Oldunreal member

Re: Skaarj Wars 1 - Mothership (1.0.2)
Reply #12 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Better late than never...

So, the world didn't end and I finally solved the problem I had... unfortunately I had to make a bit of a sacrefice along the way.

I did have a December 21st update planned, this didn't happen due to the issue. I also had a christmas update planned as well, which didn't happen. I tried to fix the issue by New Year's Eve so I could release a New Year's Update. That didn't happen either.

Turns out the problem was with my Windows Installer file, you see I use software called OpenOffice (basically a free version of Microsoft Office) to make the change log file and then convert it to a PDF file. My computer was acting strangely after I installed a driver so I did a System Restore and my windows installer stopped working. No matter what I did I kept getting Error 1067 when I tried to start the windows installer service. The only sure-fire solution was a full format of my computer.  Sad

I still have my Unreal files backed up on a flash drive (guess who lost the disc  Embarrassed) so nothing has been lost.   Wink

Anyway, tomorrow I will be putting Unreal back on my comp as well updating it to 227i cos the version I have backed up is 227g so you can expect the 1.1.0 update to come very soon.  Grin

UPDATE: I am now in the process of putting Unreal back onto my computer. Once all the Unreal files are back on, I will work on installing any other software I need (e.g: OpenOffice) and then I make a start on 1.1.0.
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2013 at 2:32pm by MERCILESS »  

IP Logged

MERCILESS

Oldunreal member

Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
http://i.imgur.com/0NQEZJC.jpg

That's a screenshot of one of the major things the 1.1.0 update will bring. I don't know if anyone's seen the boss room on level 15 yet, but if you have then you'll remember it being just an empty box room with a healing pod and the Queen sat at the end. This is that room, but it's been completely revamped. The boss fight itself is also much harder (if you're playing this on Unreal difficulty then I really feel sorry for you now  Wink)

That's just one of the things that will come with the new update. The 1.1.0 has been named the Bronze Update. It will be released hopefully tomorrow or next week, there are a few bugs that need ironing out. The ramps you see in the pic above right now are too steep to walk up, which is just one of the bugs. I also need to add in some ambient sound to boost the atmosphere up a bit.  Smiley

IP Logged

iLikeTheUDK

I knew that Netanyahu
would realize that too...

Reply #14 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Great. I wish I had time to help you work on this mod.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo