Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Paws and skins not visible in Dm server (Read 5861 times)
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Paws and skins not visible in Dm server
Dec 9th, 2012 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
I made a couple a years ago the map DmTheXmasDeck. Obviously its a Dm map and back than i tested that.

Because of a texture issue i tested the map today again, and to my surprise the pawns i added to the map do not show up. For testing purposes i installed a fresh 225f server and a 226Final version to play with, which is what i used back than for testing.

If i set the server to to Death Match or Team Game nothing is visible, however if i set the server to COOP than they do show up. Is this a server setting going wrong or is there is something wrong in the map itself? Back than i am 100% sure i tested it under Death Match and released it as such, other wise i wouldn't have released it until it worked flawlessly.

Another issue i noticed is, i added two carcasses, being FemaleOneCarcass and MaleThreeCarcass and under the Properties---> Display---> Texture i added Texture'Xmas_A_URP.Skins.Female1Santa' and  Texture'Xmas_A_URP.Skins.Male3Santa' which is a Santa skin. But they too dont show up in game or in the editor. I tried to reassign the textures to the carcasses and the textures are connected to carcasses but nothing happens, they still don't show up in the editor nor in game? ? ? And when i save the map and open it again in the editor the textures are loaded, and assigned to the carcasses but nothing is visible on the carcasses. In an older version from the map the skins are visible in the editor and also when i play the map.

So i am left with two issues for which i don't have an explanation for, if anyone can help me with it ill be be very glad because xmas servers are already running and i want be run as it was supposed to be.

And in that respect its kinda urgent....

P.S. i run Windows 7 32 bit, could that be an issue?

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Re: Paws and skins not visible in Dm server
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2012 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
I can answer the first one : pawns do not show up in DeathMatch.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2012 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
About the second one, aren't you supposed to add the custom skin into the Skin slot, and not Texture?

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 9:08am
Print Post  
to show up in a DM server, you need to have bHumansOnly to false and maybe also bNoMonsters false, otherwise they won't show up.
The server needs to have the skinpackage in serverpackages.
Then it should work. No relation to Win7 in any way Smiley

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

)Leela(-[otS]-

Oldunreal member

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Hi Smiley

yup as already mentioned the skin must be entered under Display/Skin.
When you only want to use the skins as decoration, carcasses here, it's even better to simply MyLevel them. This way no further package is needed and the map can run on every server even if the skin package shouldn't be present on a server.

Quote:

Not if it's only used map related Wink
Think of it like a normal texture used for surfaces for example, no need to have them all in serverpackages Smiley

AIM  
IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
)Leela(-[otS]- wrote on Dec 10th, 2012 at 4:02pm:
When you only want to use the skins as decoration, carcasses here, it's even better to simply MyLevel them. This way no further package is needed and the map can run on every server even if the skin package shouldn't be present on a server.

While normally I detest myLevel, but in this case, depending on the circumstances, it might actually be a use for it that was originally intended by the developers. (The circumstances being that the skin is unique to that and only that level, which is possible if you have a themed level.)

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
)Leela(-[otS]- wrote on Dec 10th, 2012 at 4:02pm:
Hi Smiley

yup as already mentioned the skin must be entered under Display/Skin.

Quote:

Not if it's only used map related Wink
Think of it like a normal texture used for surfaces for example, no need to have them all in serverpackages Smiley

Indeed true, just didn't think about re-editing the map since DieHard was speaking about his own server Smiley

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys for all the reply's,

The skins on the carcasses is solved, indeed it needs to be under Properties---> Display---> Skin and NOT Texture Roll Eyes

And to answer a few other questions or unclearness: The textures are added to UTX packages, including the Santa player skins. That means that i can make (i should say could, because i made them back than) the S3TC packages for them. The Santa skins were added to the packages so other mappers may work with them along with all the other xmas themed textures to make additional maps.

The only texture that was added to MyLevel was the screenshot from the map for Gold players and if correct? to 227 players. Other than that i will never add any texture to MyLevel to make sure i can make S3TC packages for them.

I also made bit progress on the pawns in DM, i tested the skaarj that is inthere, its boxed up in a giftwrap so it can do a bit harm if you stand in the right place. I changed the setting under:
Properties---> Advanced---> bNetOptional to True
Properties---> Advanced---> bNetTemorary to True
Properties---> Filter---> bSinglePlayer to False
Properties---> Networking---> RemoteRole to ROLE_None

Level Properties---> Advanced--->bGameRelevant to True
Level Properties---> Filter--->bSinglePlayer to False
Level Properties---> LevelInfo--->bHumansOnly to False

The result i got, the skaarj is present because i can hear him, he also can cause damage with his claws and i can see him fire, but the skaarj himself stays invisible? I also can wound him because i see the blood.

All toghether its weird you cannot add a living pawn to a DM map and play it online, and even more weird you can play the map under DM locally and everything is fine. It also raises the question if it can be implemented in 227.

But any help and input with adding the pawns in DM in multiplayer is welcome.

IP Logged

)Leela(-[otS]-

Oldunreal member

Reply #8 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 2:24am
Print Post  
Hm, shouldn't the RemoteRole be set to ROLE_SimulatedProxy?
Never tried a "None" so I can't tell what the result of it would be.
Also in the GameType server sided bNoMonsters should be set to False, default is True I think.

AIM  
IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #9 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 7:43am
Print Post  
Invisible but there often indicates a missing serverpackage, but did you check
bHumansOnly and bNoMonsters is set correctly ? Should be all to make pawns working in DM, no matter which server version Smiley

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #10 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 10:01am
Print Post  
I could not find bNoMonsters in the map nor pawns, or do you mean it is the server itself under advanced options?

Edit:
Yeah that did the trick, i found bNoMonsters in server setting under Death Match. I set bNoMonsters to False and that worked, the pawns all show up Smiley

And all the time i was thinking, we did test the map in BringIt's server and it all worked, but i was unsure(well 95% i thought this was the case) if the pawns already were built in the map. But so it seems it was because it says so in the readme that is to found in the shop.

But why i left it out to set the setting for the server correctly in the readme that comes with the map i dunno.

In any case i will re-release the map ASAP under the same name because i don't wanna have version 2 or v2. And i concider it still a project and project can have opdates.

I will make a few minor adjustments (skins and some decoration), and alter the helpfile. And add more instruction and screenshots for the admins, cause there are alot of hidden features in the map, and that too cant be found in the helpfile.

The textures are fine so no change there.

Thanks everybody for the input, as it turned out valuable Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2012 at 11:51am by DieHard SCWS »  

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #11 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Uuuuhm, i have to redo a part of the Textures too, i noticed that the masked textures do not apply to the standards i have now which is a minimum size of 256.

In addition to that the European box is very grey while it should be black, i am gonna fix that too.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #12 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Glad to be of service Wink

Hope you gonna post the result then Smiley

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #13 - Dec 12th, 2012 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Yes, i will, as soon as i am done with it, probably friday Smiley

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Sigh,

Well lets face facts i cant make it this year, i had to re-scan all cd's and what more, i assembled most packages, but there is still too much to do. And xmas is comming closer and closer, so i decided to release it well after xmas. It also prevents that i am gonna make stupid mistakes.

So i keep working on it next weeks and try to release the new files next year. All toghether the map is functional so its more of a setting problem, and Havok is running the map, so at least one server does, which is good.

I had to re-scan most of the materials and now the S3TC file can also be realeased as Extreme End and so far its 724 Mb big(for on of the texture files), but likelly will be a bit smaller. But as said it has to wait till next year, at least i can say i did my best Lips Sealed . But i didnt anticipate that the map contains errors, hence the reason i started out a little late.

January it is.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo