logo
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cleaning the game's directory - how? (+improvement idea) (Read 1271 times)
azn

ʎǝʞuoɯ ʞɐʃɟ˙🐵

Cleaning the game's directory - how? (+improvement idea)
Oct 30th, 2012 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
As in the subject, I would like to ask is there any sure and quick way to clean the Unreal game's directory to it's base form? I installed RealCTF, and probably a few other things and would like to clean it to the base without re-installing(probably will do it anyway as I see no other solution).

Is this even possible? I know that I can keep all additional files in archives, checking the contents and removing files manually but that's NOT comfortable at all.

Please share your ideas. Also, I wonder, is it possible for the oldUnreal patch to add support like an extra content directory? What do I mean? Let's say we have EXTRA_CONTENT folder in Unreal installation folder and there we put the extra files. If the file goes to System, we can put it in EXTRA_CONTENT/System and so on. Of course patches will apply to main game's dir - normally, as before.

Wonder if it's possible, would be great. Guess no OS gives any solution, I know I can make like a link folder in Linux but it'll still put files in normal folders; also in Windows - no OS side solution I see.

Hmm, wonder what patch authors will answer.

Maybe there's some solution that's easy to use and I just don't see it.

IP Logged

Turboman.
God Member
Developer Team

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Cleaning the game's directory - how? (+improvement idea)
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
An extra content directory has been possible since the game's release years ago, the only thing you have to do is to open the unreal.ini file and add in an extra filepath to that directory, then dump your stuff to that referenced directory.
example taken from my unreal.ini
Paths=..\user\system\*.u
Paths=..\user\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\user\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\user\Music\*.umx
Paths=..\user\Maps\*.unr

The only limitation unreal has is that .int files cannot be moved out of the system dir, but i think that 227 fixed that, not entirely sure.

As for cleaning your game dir... i guess the best practice is to start moving any file out of the directory, and see when the game fails to startup Tongue

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

azn

ʎǝʞuoɯ ʞɐʃɟ˙🐵

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Turboman, thanks! That solves my problem, will do fresh install and create that "user"(guess the name doesn't matter) dir.

Looks like topic is closed.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Yea, about cleaning, there is no way to remove all unused files if you installed manually. Although it is possible if you use an UMOD installer, as it remembers all the files that it installed (stores their information in Manifest.ini).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo