Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) [rtnp]RTNP Episode III: Operation Stealth Claw (Read 19653 times)
Captain Clark
Ex Member

[rtnp]RTNP Episode III: Operation Stealth Claw
Oct 25th, 2012 at 6:34am
Print Post  
Developer: UMS: Research & Development Division "Stealth Claw"

Screenshots:

Synopsis:
5 years after the events of RTNP, Captain John Clark, previously of the UMS Bodega Bay, is sent back to Na Pali to aid the remnants of Stealth Claw Base after a heavy onslaught from the Skaarj. The helpless scientists sent out a distress call for help, Clark and his legendary marines quickly setting out to help.
However, when the UMS Berryessa (Heavy Destroyer of the UMS fleet, and under Clark's command) is attacked by a Skaarj Battleship, and plummets towards the hostile planet, it starts to look like Clark will have to salvage the original salvaging mission...

Features:
10 maps + intro and outro maps
3 new weapons
New Pawns: Including Qtit's alternate pawns and more...
A new playerpawn model
New locations including a Nali Palace and an Ancient City.
Vehicles
Emitters, static meshes, other 227 stuff
And even more...

Recruiting:
I will need Coders, Texture Makers and DM Mappers.

If you want to help, here's my email address: ewansteady@yahoo.co.uk
Or PM me here.

Updates:
Second level done. Fourth and fifth level has been started on. First level is back under construction.

Links:
http://www.captainclarkgames.webs.com
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:46pm by »  

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Re: [rtnp]Operation Stealth Claw
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Your pictures are linking to thumbnails instead of full-sized images. Makes it hard to see anything.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Captain Clark
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
My bad! Embarrassed
Should be fixed now.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
I like the first screen. The second and last ones are not very remarkable, but the third... By god.

It strongly reminds me of one of my early tests with Static-Meshes :

IP Logged

Captain Clark
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
ooh! I like that. Did you make it in UnrealEd 2? Because if it is, then I want to know how to make the mini pillars in the banister Wink
I know what you mean about the second and last pics, I'm gonna upload new ones soon (hopefully!)

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Quote:
ooh! I like that. Did you make it in UnrealEd 2? Because if it is, then I want to know how to make the mini pillars in the banister Wink

Yes, this is UnrealEd 2.1, each little pillar is a static-mesh made with the 2DShape editor and lofted with 16 sides. However, this is not practical at all, because though it's easy to do and looks great, you can read here the problems of such a thing :

Quote:
each column is 256 polys [...] the node count goes through the roof because just this staircase (and really, all there is is on the screenshot) features 86 columns, each with two small bsp prisms to link it to the ramps. One full ramp is already 178 brushes and 43 meshes, which means a maximum of  11 008 polys just for meshes on just this staircase

So the stairs you see here gave me a grand total of 15 frames per second on a recent and powerful computer. You can't do that in a normal map (and I gave up immediately Wink)

Your ramp reminded me of this test I had done because of the green and white marble textures you used there which I used also in this experiment.

IP Logged

Dozey
God Member

I love cleaning The Sunspire
with my mop.

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 8:16am
Print Post  
I like it. The RTNP should have more custom levels like these one. Also you could use a small trick here if you don't want to have big problems with coding. You could use the Mylevel.SpaceMarinePlayer with model of marine and animation for it. It's quite easy but effect is very nice. Of course if you want to have marine player.

IP Logged

Captain Clark
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Dozey wrote on Oct 29th, 2012 at 8:16am:
I like it. The RTNP should have more custom levels like these one. Also you could use a small trick here if you don't want to have big problems with coding. You could use the Mylevel.SpaceMarinePlayer with model of marine and animation for it. It's quite easy but effect is very nice. Of course if you want to have marine player.

Basically what i'm wanting is to have a Spacemarine with no helmet, so that Clark's head shows. I might even have the option as to whether you want to have clark in space armour or just in a t-shirt and trousers, a bit like in Outlander. That's kind of who I got the idea of Clark from!

IP Logged

Dozey
God Member

with my mop.

Reply #8 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Basically what i'm wanting is to have a Spacemarine with no helmet, so that Clark's head shows. I might even have the option as to whether you want to have clark in space armour or just in a t-shirt and trousers, a bit like in Outlander. That's kind of who I got the idea of Clark from!

Hmmm simple and quick - advanced modelling required Wink

IP Logged

Captain Clark
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Dozey wrote on Oct 30th, 2012 at 3:50pm:
Quote:

I don't think that it would be that hard. I would just have to edit the current space marine model, maybe add an extra couple of talk anims for when Clark speaks.

I can do the modelling bit, it's just when it comes to animations and skinning that I get stuck in the mud Undecided
I might have to do without the choice thing, but if I am able to do it, then I'll do it!

Also a new screeny:

what it is and what will occur around it will remain a mystery... for now.

IP Logged

Dozey
God Member

with my mop.

Reply #10 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Dozey wrote on Oct 30th, 2012 at 3:50pm:
Quote:

I don't think that it would be that hard. I would just have to edit the current space marine model, maybe add an extra couple of talk anims for when Clark speaks.

I can do the modelling bit, it's just when it comes to animations and skinning that I get stuck in the mud Undecided
I might have to do without the choice thing, but if I am able to do it, then I'll do it!

Also a new screeny:
http://imageshack.us/a/img703/5020/bigstructure.th.jpg

what it is and what will occur around it will remain a mystery... for now.

I was trying to edit the marine model only to make him a little bigger except head. It failed even it was quite simple (but not for me Cheesy), so I've stayed with regular model from umsspacemarine mod. I am not saying that I won't edit it anymore, but I don't think I'll find someone who will edit it properly. Stuff which I wanted to make was a medium and heavy kind of space marine similar like U2 have. So it looks like you have a lot to do with the model Wink. But I can suggest you how you could edit it. You can ripp 2 models from Unreal. First one will be marine model, second one will be male1/2/3. You can "cut" the male's head then insert it in marine model - before it you need to delete the existing marine helmet head. When you'll done with it you have to animate it. You can use also male's animation but it will be rather hard way to accomplish - I would advice for you animation from zero point: it will be the best way. I don't know your skill in modelling so if it will be useless cause you are more advanced, then sorry for my spam message here  Grin. The voice case needs more coding knowledge so I can't tell you anything in this category - you can use the script from umsspacemarine mod, as far I know it has got quite simple voice commands in code.
BTW. This screen looks really interesting and I guess it's a new Nali Temple-Tower or something like that? Wink

EDIT: Which modelling program are you using?

IP Logged

Captain Clark
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
I'm using Blender.

The "cutting off the head and sticking it on some other guy's body" was the kind of idea I had. I'm probably going to use male 1's head.

Close with the temple guess... very close. Smiley

IP Logged

Dozey
God Member

with my mop.

Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm using Blender.

The "cutting off the head and sticking it on some other guy's body" was the kind of idea I had. I'm probably going to use male 1's head.

Close with the temple guess... very close. Smiley

HUH you will have a giant work to do if you work with blender  Sad. My modeller made a few models with animations and we are still trying to convert them into unreal 3d format, but with no results. So I have decided to use Milkshape for animated models. Models with no animations will be exported as prefabs and then imported to static mesh format. From the time of 2 months I am searching for working plugin that will import blender meshes to UnrealED succesful. But you can still make models in Blender then you can try import them in Milkshape. I will try this method this weekend, cause I haven't got enough time last days.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #13 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Hellkeeper wrote on Oct 25th, 2012 at 6:26pm:
I like the first screen. The second and last ones are not very remarkable, but the third... By god.

It strongly reminds me of one of my early tests with Static-Meshes :

Indeed, I also find the third one interesting. It reminds me of the architecture in The Wheel of Time. Speaking of which, I really need to finish that WoT to Unreal converter I'm working on.

And those are not pillars, they are balusters Tongue

IP Logged

Captain Clark
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 18th, 2012 at 10:36am
Print Post  
I must admit that I have never played Wheel Of Time, so I'm not really sure what the architecture looks like Embarrassed

That Staircase is currently getting a refurbishment (I didn't really like my square "balusters", and didn't do a very good job of the hand rail.) I will post a screenshot of the refurbished version soon...

Also, Dozey, I tried using milkshape, but it wouldn't let me use anything, and kept telling me to buy a license. Would 3D Studio be better?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo