Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) UED2 Simple but accurate guide for nobheads like me. (Read 8195 times)
Torin

Oldunreal member

Re: UED2 Simple but accurate guide for nobheads like me.
Reply #15 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Hellkeeper wrote on Jan 27th, 2013 at 10:21am:
Torin wrote on Jan 27th, 2013 at 10:11am:
Hellkeeper wrote on Oct 9th, 2012 at 11:41am:
What do you need to know ? There is a help file included in Unreal in patch 227 (search for Help.chm in your /Help directory). It should launch from Unrealed Help=>UnrealEd 2.1 Help, but depending on your system, you may have to launch it manually (UnrealEd's button might not work).

In 227i look for \Help\UnrealEd.chm

On my Win7 Home Premium x64 system it doesn't launch properly from within UnrealEd. I have hex edited my UnrealEd.exe to change the forwardslashes to backslashes and it then works as expected.  Wink

Yes, it doesn't launch from UnrealEd in vista either, but you can double-click to open it in the directory. There are problems linked to the discarding of the old help format by microsoft unfortunately. It might require an small patch to launch (I don't remember properly), but that's all I could do.

You may be thinking of the WinHlp32.exe update/addon required to view the old .hlp files? (Or I've forgotten something?)

Which is not to say that .chm files are problem free. Quite the contrary; they have a list of possible maladies ranging from security restrictions to path name weirdness:
http://www.drexplain.com/press/articles/error_accessing_and_displaying_chm_files...

The worst is when you compile a .chm under conditions which produce the error; the error page seems to get compiled-in (or maybe it just subtly breaks your .chm) and will display even when the .chm is moved to a problem free location  Huh Shocked Angry

Absolute worst case there are .chm reader programs available:
https://blog.kowalczyk.info/articles/chm-reader-viewer-for-windows.html
including one that claims to be open-source and cross-platform! Whee!!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Re: UED2 Simple but accurate guide for nobheads like me.
Reply #16 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info, that's really useful.
However, the last post in this thread was 3 years old, I doubt the original poster is still interested in this matter. Wink

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo