Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Anyone else hates the new UnrealEd interface for Unreal Engine 4? (Read 7184 times)
iLikeTheUDK

I knew that Netanyahu
would realize that too...

Anyone else hates the new UnrealEd interface for Unreal Engine 4?
Sep 14th, 2012 at 7:00am
Print Post  
What do you think? Is the change welcome? Or doesn't it feel like UnrealEd anymore (in a bad way)?

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:51am by iLikeTheUDK »  
IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Re: Anyone else hates the new UnrealEd interface for Unreal Engine 4?
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Eh, to me, UT3Ed already felt very overwhelming. I'm too used to UEd 2.0-3.0, where the interface didn't change over a long time at all. Then in UT3 they rearranged everything and made it difficult to work with it when coming from the UEd 3.0 background. In UDK they rearranged it some more, and they continue doing so, apparently.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 1:24am
Print Post  
I don't know them and haven't tested them, but I'm not too worried : Epic's reputation comes in a large part from the ease of use and intelligent design of their developping tools.

And what does "feel like UnrealEd" mean ? If it means "feel like Ued 1.0-2.0-3.0", then yes, maybe, but on the other hand, I wouldn't expect to use the UnrealEngine 4 with a barely modified version of the editor which was created for UT99.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Gizzy
Ex Member

Oldunreal Member

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 9:48am
Print Post  
The demo was running in UDK from what I remember, not "UnrealED4"

IP Logged

iLikeTheUDK

I knew that Netanyahu

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 9:51am
Print Post  
GreatEmerald wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 9:39pm:
Eh, to me, UT3Ed already felt very overwhelming. I'm too used to UEd 2.0-3.0, where the interface didn't change over a long time at all. Then in UT3 they rearranged everything and made it difficult to work with it when coming from the UEd 3.0 background. In UDK they rearranged it some more, and they continue doing so, apparently.

I actually felt that the UE3 UnrealEd actually tried to imitate UnrealEd 1 (version used from 1996-2000. It was made by Tim Sweeney for use of the mapping team for Unreal 1, and then released it as a modding tool for it. As it was written with Visual Basic and the engine was written in C++, there was quite a lot of bugs because of programming language incompatibility. And uEd 2 largely replaced it, partially for that reason). Look at both, and you might be able to see distinct similarity.

IP Logged

Turboman.
God Member
Developer Team

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Is there a bigger shot? i can barely make anything of that thumbnail.
Either way, from what i can make of it, it looks great and easy to use, it reminds me alot of professional modelling programs, i can see those large (camera?) orientation buttons, play, stop, kismet...
unrealed 1-2 completely missed the mark when it came down to ease of use compared to conventional modelling programs, so its good they changed that a bit from the looks of it.

I haven't tried the new interface, but it makes sense it changes over time, unrealed 1-2 were generally aimed at building maps out of crude primitives, whereas from unreal engine 2 onwards this practice became obsolete, thus the editor has to be altered for a completely new workflow.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
UnrealEd 2/3 was great. Of all level design tools I have used (and I have used a lot), few were as stable, as easy to use and as comfortable as them (only BSP for Quake remotely approached this feeling to me). UnrealEd 1, to me was like QuArK : it worked, but it was not really stable and I would have given anything for a better tool.
UED4 was still very close to UED 2/3, but with less emphasis on BSP and more on meshes, which is completely normal. UED 5 will surely be almost free of primitives, or use them even more sparingly than UED4. There is no reason to keep an organisation and a philosophy that were primarily designed to use brushes when things will be entirely mesh-and-particle-based.

Modeling softwares are hit and miss : something like Blender is almost unsufferable (Yeah okay, it got a bit better in the last version), while I found MAYA to be efficient and easy (in the short period of time when I used it). I did not try 3D studio max , but it seems to be close to what MAYA was.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

iLikeTheUDK

I knew that Netanyahu

Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Turboman. wrote on Sep 16th, 2012 at 9:00pm:
Is there a bigger shot? i can barely make anything of that thumbnail.

Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ExHH-4j6EE

He goes into editor view in 04:56.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo