Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ending? (Read 9220 times)
William(Rainman)
God Member

Pancaking Skaarj Troopers
with the Cicada.

Ending?
Sep 5th, 2012 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Anyone else think the Ending was Emotionally Sad with Hawkins killing Aida, Issac and Ne'Ban?

Shame there wasn't an Alternate Ending.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Re: Ending?
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 5:49am
Print Post  
Sure. But it's standard Epic Games ending, with an open sweet-and-sour ending. You are free to imagine what happened after the ending yourself, and that also allows a plot hook for fan sequels (UT3 also had one, and it doesn't look like there will be any official ending to that story either).

That said, the "Unreal2.ogg" music suggests that there was a happier ending planned at some point.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
William(Rainman) wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 2:16am:
Anyone else think the Ending was Emotionally Sad with Hawkins killing Aida, Issac and Ne'Ban?

Unfortunately, because they had no depth at all and I had known them for a grand total of 5 hours, their death meant nothing to me, and was just a cheap way to try and play on the emotional chord. I know legend could have done something really sad had they be given the time and means to do it, but it failed there.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

William(Rainman)
God Member

with the Cicada.

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
GreatEmerald wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 5:49am:
Sure. But it's standard Epic Games ending, with an open sweet-and-sour ending. You are free to imagine what happened after the ending yourself, and that also allows a plot hook for fan sequels (UT3 also had one, and it doesn't look like there will be any official ending to that story either).

That said, the "Unreal2.ogg" music suggests that there was a happier ending planned at some point.

Actually Unreal 2 wasn't made by Epic Games it was Legend Entertainment. Epic Games hasn't made a Unreal Singleplayer game sense Unreal 1 and I think its time for Epic to start working on a singleplayer game for Unreal.

Quote:
Unfortunately, because they had no depth at all and I had known them for a grand total of 5 hours, their death meant nothing to me, and was just a cheap way to try and play on the emotional chord. I know legend could have done something really sad had they be given the time and means to do it, but it failed there.

I agree they should have worked on the characters more. But i still think its Sad especially hearing the Burst Transmission.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 12:31am
Print Post  
William(Rainman) wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 10:42pm:
Actually Unreal 2 wasn't made by Epic Games it was Legend Entertainment. Epic Games hasn't made a Unreal Singleplayer game sense Unreal 1 and I think its time for Epic to start working on a singleplayer game for Unreal.

It's more than well known that Epic and the Editor (Atari IIRC?) pushed for the game to be released far before it was completed, and I'd be damn if Legend didn't take notes from Unreal's end (or even had directives from Epic).

Also ther last singleplayer game was the GOW franchise, and I'm not an absolute fan, to say the least, so I don't mind. Epic's stuff is multiplayer, and they may try not to blow it off like they did with UT3. I'd much prefer to see a PC version of UC2 than a new U2 or UT3. Multiplayer studios always completely dissapoint me when they go back to singleplayer (think id software going back to Q4).

IP Logged

William(Rainman)
God Member

with the Cicada.

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 1:16am
Print Post  
Hellkeeper wrote on Sep 6th, 2012 at 12:31am:
William(Rainman) wrote on Sep 5th, 2012 at 10:42pm:

It's more than well known that Epic and the Editor (Atari IIRC?) pushed for the game to be released far before it was completed, and I'd be damn if Legend didn't take notes from Unreal's end (or even had directives from Epic).

Also ther last singleplayer game was the GOW franchise, and I'm not an absolute fan, to say the least, so I don't mind. Epic's stuff is multiplayer, and they may try not to blow it off like they did with UT3. I'd much prefer to see a PC version of UC2 than a new U2 or UT3. Multiplayer studios always completely dissapoint me when they go back to singleplayer (think id software going back to Q4).

I ment Unreal Singleplayer game GOW doesn't count as Unreal. But I agree they should have taken their time with Unreal 2.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 4:27am
Print Post  
Hellkeeper wrote on Sep 6th, 2012 at 12:31am:
Epic's stuff is multiplayer, and they may try not to blow it off like they did with UT3.

Well, actually, their stuff is the engine. And then multiplayer.

IP Logged

Sly.

Oldunreal member

Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2012 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Bumping this thread because... I want to.

Well, personally, I think if they had the time and did everything that was planned, it would have been one of the best games.

I read there were supposed to be dynamic conversations, rpg aspects in conversations, non-linear plot and more weapons, such as the Flak Cannon, ASMD, Razik etc.. I think I read it at Liandri Archives.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2012 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Yeap. In short, it was supposed to be a bit more than Mass Effect ended up being. Alas...

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2012 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Yes it was supposed to be great.
But then again, they all promise that Tongue

IP Logged

Dozey
God Member

I love cleaning The Sunspire
with my mop.

Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Yeah the ending in Unreal 2 was not as I supposed when I was playing first time in U2. So I decided to full the missing gap in gameplay and in my soul. So I will tell you my secret. In my project RTNP ][ I am planning to put Aida as player. It will be about 5 years before Striders-Human war begining. Aida is a military officer as in U2 storyline but after RTNP2 and Strider War, she will leave the army - Aida thought that army made a monster from her, and she cancelled the cooperation with military goverment. Rest of all will be surprise and I will not tell you before I release it Wink

IP Logged

Sly.

Oldunreal member

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 12:25am
Print Post  
GreatEmerald wrote on Oct 4th, 2012 at 9:29pm:
Yeap. In short, it was supposed to be a bit more than Mass Effect ended up being. Alas...

Ah snap! Now I know what it was that I forgot to mention...
I wanted to draw a comparison between Mass Effect and Unreal II as it was planned - now you beat me to it. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Indeed. I actually consider Mass Effect to be a spiritual successor to Unreal II, even if it's most likely accidental. But then, I also see a few references to it ("Stow it!"), so who knows, maybe it's not an accident after all. Oh, and Jack Wall worked on the music of both games.

IP Logged

KeeperUTX
God Member

Magician of Fire

Reply #13 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Shame UIIA was as short as it was. Then again, I never played it on the hardest difficulty level, so I might install it again. And the end was kinda emotional, yeah.

Azhir uval nutarus. Azhir mudas ethanul. Dalektharu il dask daku. Riftuuz e thara samanar utamus. Elas umanes azarathan rakas ibna.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #14 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 7:59am
Print Post  
Yeah, I can't get past Sulferon on anything above Easy. >_>

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo