Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How about a patch? (Read 7447 times)
_Krw

My vision is augmented.

How about a patch?
Aug 11th, 2012 at 3:33am
Print Post  
Ok so I've considered reinstalling Unreal 2 out of shear boredom. The only thing holding me back is that this game crashes/lags the most out of any Unreal Engine game period. You can play a custom map with lots of terrain, lag. You can make a simple subclass and save as a package then summon it in game, crash.

So my question is this: Can someone, or anyone for that matter pull off a '227' for Unreal 2? It doesn't have to do much. It can be simple Uscript fixes for all I care. Maybe rework some parent classes here and there. Whatever the case I'd like to see something done for the Unreal 2's single player. XMP's got enough attention already.

After all, who cares about package version mismatches for Unreal 2? Wink

Information about information about information about information

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Re: How about a patch?
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 6:47am
Print Post  
actually, I fully agree with you. It wouldn't be even much to do to fix many of the known issues.
The answer about my question to get the sources however was answered again with the well known sentence: "We don't have the bandwidth to..." and something like they would have to dig out all stuff together and no time for that or whatever.
The script part however could be indeed done, but I doubt it could cover the crashes and lag problems alone.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Mind you, most of the instability problems can be done away by changing some settings (like DirectMusic, it causes a lot of instability on Vista+ machines) or avoiding doing some things (like pressing the "..." button in UnrealEd). Also note that there are a lot of still undocumented features in the game. Golem Studio, for instance, I have just recently documented on the Wiki here.

IP Logged

_Krw

My vision is augmented.

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Well since I don't primarily use Vista (who does? lol) / Windows 7, I don't know what to make of Unreal 2 on that platform. I do however sometimes crash on XP's DirectMusic when playing Unreal 2, so it might be outdated API calls or something.

All I want to happen for Unreal 2's single player is to have an ongoing patch like 227 is for Unreal. I'm willing to do bug testing as long as enough people are interested in Unreal 2 anymore.

Information about information about information about information

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
_Krw wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:22pm:
Well since I don't primarily use Vista (who does? lol) / Windows 7

I do, and I think GreatEmerald was merely suggesting that anything more recent than XP will encounter this problem. The DirectMusic API has indeed been dumped and the various calls to it in U2 are ineffective. Usually though, they do not crash. I recently played through the game without encountering any crash linked directly to them. Most problems came from scripts breaking completely and the game crashing soon after.

As for people interested in U2, I would be greatly surprised if there were more than ten of us worldwide.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Hyzoran

Oldunreal member

Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Fixing the bugs is not the problem, fixing the game to be good is however, not only will it be a massive undertaking to make it actually good, we dont have the bandwidth to pull off such a task.

Nothing
AIM  
IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
"We dont have the bandwidth to pull off such a task."
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Grin

Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

BobIsUnreal
God Member

gonna be dead soon, gg

Reply #7 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
bandwidth is unrelated, So i suppose your refereeing to manpower, with that quote?

Unreal 2 isnt really that broken it is alot less broken them many other retail games i have seen ut2004 and postal2 to name a few crash almost every 4 maps ,unreal2's
( how the heck do you run out of virtual memory when you have 4 gb ram and a 20gb swap file with 80gb free????  ut2k4 logic there)
biggest disappointment was no multiplayer and XMP was a complete fail

u2 is one reason why people still choose to use xp and 32 bit , I dont want to worry if the game will fail due to some discontinued API or some new security 'feature'...I still have unreal 2 installed here although i lost interest halfway tho the game
mainly since i cant pull myself away from playing oldunreal for more then a few hours without getting withdrawl. Grin

[REM_img]http://i.imgur.com/V3OSsDu.gif.disable[/img]http://i.imgur.com/JOu38Gs.gif
IP Logged

rdy2bz
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 11:32am
Print Post  
I am one of the ten people worldwide who have greater interest in U2 than in Unreal. But apart from random crashes once in a while I never experienced larger problems with U2, so I'm almost happy.

alone alive again

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #9 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 11:52am
Print Post  
BobIsUnreal wrote on Aug 12th, 2012 at 8:52pm:
bandwidth is unrelated, So i suppose your refereeing to manpower, with that quote?

The bandwidth excuse is the one Epic pulls when they want to politely decline something suggested by smirftsch. It's not related to manpower.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #10 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
I'd imagine that there is enough interest in it (it is just marvellous as a development platform for SP games, by the way), as after all XMP games after being in decline for 5 years or so came back and are continuing to this day, thanks to improved communication nowadays (XFire, Google+, Steam, Facebook etc.).

IP Logged

Qtit
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Well, we've got four, cos I'd be interested in that Unreal 2 thing as well.

I enjoyed Unreal 2 very much the first time I played it and really would love to see that thing working... Well, let's say, working. Cos I had many problems as it comes to stability.

And, I'd really be interested in projects for Unreal 2 as - indeed - "is just marvellous as a development platform for SP games"... Yea.

IP Logged

omer666

Oldunreal member

Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Sorry to bring that topic from the dead, but I'm interested in Unreal 2 as well.
Do you think it may be possible to port Unreal 2 to UT2004 ? I know that this is not exactly the same engine, but things that are not compatible may be retro-engineered/re-written/whatever.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #13 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
If you have tons of times on your hand, it's only a matter of time to port the classes, textures, sounds, meshes and so on I guess. Good luck with the animated golem meshes though, this should be very funny.

IP Logged

iLikeTheUDK

I knew that Netanyahu
would realize that too...

Reply #14 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
LOL Yeah.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo