Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic WebGL? (Read 4740 times)
DaveA

Oldunreal member

WebGL?
May 7th, 2012 at 4:15am
Print Post  
Hey all, just found this board. Had assumed Unreal was long gone, thank god for you!

So my first question, seeing as how there is a GL push, anyone porting the engine to WebGL? Such that you could run an Unreal map in Chrome or Firefox, no plugin.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Re: WebGL?
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2012 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
And what would be the purpose of that? You can play Unreal without plugins outside of the browser just as well. I assume you would still need all of the local files to play it this way, so I don't see the point. Plus, I doubt anyone has the time or motivation for this.

IP Logged

BobIsUnreal
God Member

gonna be dead soon, gg

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2012 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Unreal as a webapp   ^Just what we need^  Grin   lets run it in a browser just because we can  Roll Eyes lol  but  jokes aside ,
I could actually  see the point in this , ie running unreal in a browser  on a tablet or web device, but as far as i recall its cant happen ,epic  most likely wont let it.

[REM_img]http://i.imgur.com/V3OSsDu.gif.disable[/img]http://i.imgur.com/JOu38Gs.gif
IP Logged

medor
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2012 at 11:26pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2012 at 9:26am
Print Post  
BobIsUnreal wrote on May 7th, 2012 at 2:01pm:
Unreal as a webapp   ^Just what we need^  Grin   lets run it in a browser just because we can  Roll Eyes lol  but  jokes aside ,
I could actually  see the point in this , ie running unreal in a browser  on a tablet or web device, but as far as i recall its cant happen ,epic  most likely wont let it.

The legal side is probably way more complicated than the technical side. For example I have a working Mac port for Unreal and I'm not allowed to release it either.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

DaveA

Oldunreal member

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2012 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
The reason would be to allow a new generation of users to play without needing to install Unreal cuz nobody likes to install anything anymore. But right, Epic would be the one really to do such a port. No point in doing it for them, unless they paid. That said, I've heard you can play Quake2 in WebGL.....

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2012 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Uhm, you don't need to install Unreal as it is either, it's self-contained. And obviously you can't play it if you don't have all the files locally.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2012 at 9:42am
Print Post  
DaveA wrote on May 8th, 2012 at 8:26pm:
The reason would be to allow a new generation of users to play without needing to install Unreal cuz nobody likes to install anything anymore. But right, Epic would be the one really to do such a port. No point in doing it for them, unless they paid. That said, I've heard you can play Quake2 in WebGL.....

Paid? Well, I need to beg for everything and if its only some useful or clean answers. I don't get any money or something.
The Mac port I made when working on it for Linux anyway, it's done (well, currently only at some 227h stage) and they wouldn't even need to pay, still I'm explicitly not allowed to release it.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo