logo
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New Map Pack, Needs Some Contributions (Read 1123 times)
Spazzpez

Nobody is perfect.

New Map Pack, Needs Some Contributions
Apr 14th, 2012 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Wow, when was the last time I posted on the forums? Ages ago...

Anyways, down to business. I am looking for a few serious mappers who would like to join me on a quest for creating a story-line and building the story created from the ground up. Using all of the nifty mechanics found in the Old Unreal dev teams glorious 227 patches... Well, more like overhauls. Anyone can pitch in ideas, credit will go to them of course.

People interested should post here, or PM me, either/or. I look forward to hearing from anyone out there who is interested. Please have Skype, or some form of instant messaging for communication so that things can move smoothly and quickly while keeping a professional look to this project.

Those who are confused by my post (I know you are out there!), here is basically what I am saying: I plan to have a team assembled here to propose, write, and build an entire new story for Unreal.

Anyways, I love you all Cheesy

IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Re: New Map Pack, Needs Some Contributions
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Hmm. I have 3 complete stories.

One is sorta Unreal/Nali based. One is Earth in the future/past based. And the 3rd is based on a world I created during the many years of hosting AD&D, GURPS sessions.

The last one is a complete new game, including several new features I won't mention here. It would need new models, new animations, custom scripts etc.

I'd love to get together with you and just talk stories. That has always been my main passion: Telling stories using the medium of gaming.

Smiley

Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

Spazzpez

Nobody is perfect.

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2012 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Buster, I do appreciate your help! If you want, we can make that third story of yours a reality? Up to you though. Having a story-line is a first thing to have, too!

I'm thinking of a few tonight since I have all night to ponder and to edit a few maps. Would you like to add me on Skype and discuss things further? My Skype name is spazzpez

IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2012 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
You are added to my Skype contacts.

I'd like to put out a call to an artist that can make sketches from a verbal descriptions. Just to help with some of the concept art. Also, various custom textures will be needed, and some of the creature sounds may be unique. Custom music is also a must. All games need a great theme song, just like a movie needs one.

Big hint there Diehard. You too Shivaxi.

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

Spazzpez

Nobody is perfect.

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Well, I can see what I can do about sketching from verbal details. If not, my girlfriend can help with that.

I completely agree with everything else, too. Music is a must and new textures, too. Possibly even sounds! So long as they aren't of low quality like some of the custom sounds I have heard.

Anyways, currently I am working on a Vortex inspired prison map. A huge prison vessel with around about 120 cells - 12 per room. Only 1 prison room will be open so that I don't have to make 108 more cells thus reducing brush count and bsp cuts. Maybe this map can be incorporated into the story somewhere? I will post screenies shortly after I finish the prison rooms and the main area where the cells are connected to.

Edit (4/15):
Screenies!

Also I didn't notice this until after the upload but... the gamma is ridiculous on these images, but it is much darker in the game. More appealing.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 11:06am
Print Post  
WHY SUCH HUGE CORONAS?

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Spazzpez

Nobody is perfect.

Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Hellkeeper wrote on Apr 16th, 2012 at 11:06am:
WHY SUCH HUGE CORONAS?

NO IDEA!!

it's not finished yet xD everything is temporary! until I get it ready to clean up. its a work in progress!!

IP Logged

Krull0r
Global Moderator
Betatester
Developer Team

227 Emitter Expert

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
If the story based on the Unreal Universium and you need a level Designer, here I am =)

ATM I am working on a 227 Monsterhunt map.
And its a lot of fun to create such a coop / singleplayer map Smiley

IP Logged

Spazzpez

Nobody is perfect.

Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 2:18am
Print Post  
Krull0r wrote on Apr 18th, 2012 at 7:45pm:
If the story based on the Unreal Universium and you need a level Designer, here I am =)

ATM I am working on a 227 Monsterhunt map.
And its a lot of fun to create such a coop / singleplayer map Smiley

Welcome aboard, then! I will partner with Buster ASAP to get this story rolling, then I will get with you for some projects? Or you can start making something and throw it at us Smiley

IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 1:16am
Print Post  
Set in the Unreal world, eh. Hmm.

In the Unreal 1 story the Nali seem to be a fairly primitive and magick based culture. With the forced introduction of Skarrj and Human technological based cultures, I always wondered what the Nali culture would develop into over several hundred generations. What would a Nali city look like? What would the 'natural magick' of the Nali evolve into? Of course, such things must be probable based upon the laws of nature, or are those laws different in the Unreal universe? Did the Nali ever gain their independence? I like to think they did.

But all that could just be background story to help in the creation of a modern Nali culture. And as with every culture there are a million stories.

Here's a little example: The Nali have 4 arms. I think they developed 4 arms to aid them in the harvesting of food, and the climbing of the rocky terrain of the planet. Their ability to levitate would be for similar reasons. But after a few hundred generations of Skarrj and Human influence that completely changes the 'farming/herding' culture of the Nali, what would the distinct Nali traits evolve into? Would the arms of the Nali change over time? Would levitation evolve into flight?

Maybe it's time to play as a modern Nali soldier 227 generations after the events of Unreal 1.

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

Dozey
God Member

I love cleaning The Sunspire
with my mop.

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Buster wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 1:16am:

In the Unreal 1 story the Nali seem to be a fairly primitive and magick based culture. With the forced introduction of Skarrj and Human technological based cultures, I always wondered what the Nali culture would develop into over several hundred generations. What would a Nali city look like? What would the 'natural magick' of the Nali evolve into? Of course, such things must be probable based upon the laws of nature, or are those laws different in the Unreal universe? Did the Nali ever gain their independence? I like to think they did.

But all that could just be background story to help in the creation of a modern Nali culture. And as with every culture there are a million stories.

Here's a little example: The Nali have 4 arms. I think they developed 4 arms to aid them in the harvesting of food, and the climbing of the rocky terrain of the planet. Their ability to levitate would be for similar reasons. But after a few hundred generations of Skarrj and Human influence that completely changes the 'farming/herding' culture of the Nali, what would the distinct Nali traits evolve into? Would the arms of the Nali change over time? Would levitation evolve into flight?

Maybe it's time to play as a modern Nali soldier 227 generations after the events of Unreal 1.

Good thinking.  Smiley In Operation Na Pali, Nali were fighting between Skaarjs helping the player. I am planning to put an assault mission in my mod. It will be a battle between Skaarj and Nali supported by UMS. Nali are defending their most biggest city (capital). We are finishing the meshes of weapon for example - crossbow, bow, shortsword. If it will be success then it will be a real insane battleshit   Wink So your idea is very good I think. Also I would like to wish good luck for you making this awesome project Wink

IP Logged

Spazzpez

Nobody is perfect.

Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Buster wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 1:16am:

Interesting. I like it, with a few thoughts of my own like our own human history grew slowly to a point, where it took off exponentially technology-wise. That took thousands of years. I didn't think there was much human interaction on Na Pali with the exception of the prisoner and the ISV Kran. What can a Nali learn from a strange alien device, written in a strange alien dialect? Albeit we can inject our own views, such as the UMS coming after the ISV Kran, found that the natives were friendly and taught them everything they needed to know like how to farm efficiently, and training armies to defend themselves from the Skaarj - a global unit of Nalis. Playing as a Nali soldier seems to be a really interesting point of view for the story. It will prove challenging, but well worth it in my opinion!

To come to a start - we can use interpolation points for cutscenes? have the character start out with a small squad of his/her fellow Nali's going to battle against an intruding skaarj legion. (Humans will be introduced later perhaps?)
So much thought! lol

IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 6:23am
Print Post  
I just saw a commercial on NPTN (Na Pali Television Network) for a new show on their History Channel series, 'In Search Of.'

In Search Of 849
"New research from the NPIAS (Na Pali Institute of Advanced Studies) has uncovered startling evidence that 'Prisoner 849' was a woman named Gina. Only a few fragments of an ancient recording are all that remain, but it's enough to awe the scientific community."

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Reply #13 - May 14th, 2012 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
I had a long chat with Phoenix on Skype. Actually, I just did all the talking if the truth be told. He has the gist of my ideas and main concepts of the story.

It does include a few of the locations found in the original story, but with a twist. Also, there may be some use of multiple endings to the 'sub-quests' that still manage to lead back to the main quest. This lets a player be able to play the story over again, but have a slightly different adventure.

There is a need for somebody to do some scripting. Just get in contact with Phoenix. I'm sure he knows what he needs done.

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #14 - May 14th, 2012 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Maybe you should explain the main concept and story to attract slave-labour modders. Wink

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo