Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Third Party use of Unreal Textures (Read 6246 times)
Trent Hawkins

Oldunreal member

Third Party use of Unreal Textures
Apr 5th, 2012 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Hello,

It's been a long time since I revisited Unreal Textures. However I come with a rather strange question.

Considering the lack of time I have got, I am slowly but surely building a level for Descent (in the D2X-XL format, as prescribed by the synonymous port of the game) which also supports high resolution custom textures. I am thinking of using Unreal Textures, but before I commit to anything like that I need to know what are the usage terms for the original textures, and what holds for S3TC textures made by DieHard and the others.

In unrealtexture.com, it is stated that all S3TC textures are for playing only. That holds within UnreaL for practical reasons, or is it actual terms of use? On the other hand original (normal) textures can be used in modding, mapping e.t.c. as stated. Does this extend beyond UnreaL?

Thanx in advance.
Regards,

Live & Explore...

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Re: Third Party use of Unreal Textures
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
As far as I know, the S3TC textures are marked as limited to the game (and not mapping) because of technical reasons: this may create mismatch and incompatibilities. Regarding the use of these textures in another game, it all depends on the authorization of the author, in this case DieHard.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
See this: http://unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Website/Legal/Legal.htm

And, like Hellkeeper said, you need to contact DieHard (or Epic, if you want to use their textures) for any other questions about that.

IP Logged

Trent Hawkins

Oldunreal member

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Thanx Emerald and Hellkeeper. The legal covers it all methinks. Based on it I cannot use them outside the UnreaL series.* Just wanted to know what my options are. Thanx again!

*[EDIT] OR ask any legal rightholder for permissions whatsoever. Well someday I might find the time to get involved in UnreaL, which is my #1 (#2 being Descent, no matter how funny)
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2012 at 3:08am by Trent Hawkins »  

Live & Explore...

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 5:02am
Print Post  
It says you can't use the UTX packages outside Unreal, so in other UE games. But it doesn't say you can't use the PSDs to make new textures in other games. Which probably wouldn't be a problem, if the texture is made entirely by DieHard, I believe.

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
I added the legal part to the site for Epic so they disallow use for other games.

The main problem is i actually dont know who owns the copyright. All textures released by me are based on the photos i took. In that respect i fully own the photos and if Epic or anyone should use them, than i could ask for money because the photos were used to create the textures.

The texture themselves thats a grey area, and an example is the grass:

I took a photo and made grass in high resolution while its the same color as grass from Epic. I cant imagine that Epic could have copyright on that, the photo is mine and the individual grass is mine as well and own the copyright.

Than all the paths on the grass:

Those are used in any game but each game has their own so they differ slightly, but basically they are same. Mine too, i took photos from grass and soil so they belong to me, and dispite they aproximatelly look the same as Epic they still differ an there too to think i own the copyright.

Other stuff:

They all are generic stuff and for each goes, i took the photos and they are mine and the resulting textures look like the one from Epic, but they are way too much generic and Epic cant claim copyright.

The different story goes for the deco:

Those are more tricky, because Epic made the design and the design belongs to Epic. But there too. I took the photos and when you take the high resolution version the color of the concrete looks alot like Epic, but i say alot like. Because when you look at them in high resolution they dont...........

Each induvidual grain, dirt, embedded pebble, etc is mine. The same goes for the metal parts i made them and they are unique by all means. So i own the copyright, but than again the overal look is from Epic.

Its highly a gray area and food for lawyers and very, very debatable who owns what.

For me i dont care if you use them, the only time i want to see money is when a brandnew game is devoloped and is sold for money and they use my textures. But home made user content for whatever game i dont care.

As said i just dont know, i asume that general stuff like wooden planks, grass and soil, nebulas, planets, wall without specific details on them are safe to use them.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Good point. Although I'd say they do belong to you more than Epic, including the complex designs. It's somewhat like music remixes. You have created everything, it's just inspired by other works. But it sure is a more grey area than others.

IP Logged

Trent Hawkins

Oldunreal member

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Sorry for neglecting this thread for so long. DieHard, you make a very good case. In my case here, not only the level I build is home made, but the game for it to be used is opensource now. (even if the game content is still buyable for a couple of dollars on GOG, the modern port, and game source are open)

The project I was planning it for has long been stalled, but I appreciate you letting me use your work there. The level I build will be publicly available like all custom levels in the game, for anyone to use. Credit will also be given as appropriate on even the weaker CCby paradigm.

Live & Explore...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo