Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Model import to Unreal 1 engine (Read 8564 times)
Xoleras

Oldunreal member

Model import to Unreal 1 engine
Mar 12th, 2012 at 12:02am
Print Post  
I've been wanting to import a model for a custom pawn to UT. I already know of the 3DS -> 3D -> U pipeline and whatnot. I just wanted to know if there were some prerequisites. For example, I understand that in general UT pawn models have an average of 800 polys or so. Can anyone tell me if there are any other requirements for the model to be imported correctly. (I tried it with a high def model and it obviously didn't work, it looked like a big stretched out box).

IP Logged

AlCapowned

Oldunreal member

Re: Model import to Unreal 1 engine
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2012 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Models needs to fit in a 256x256x256 box (or maybe it was 128x128x128). In my experience, the more complex the model, the fewer frames it can have before screwing up in some way. Sorry, I don't know enough to give you any concrete information.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Skeletal meshes are not nearly as limited. You could try adapting your model to that

IP Logged

Turboman.
God Member
Developer Team

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
AlCapowned wrote on Mar 13th, 2012 at 9:28pm:
Models needs to fit in a 256x256x256 box (or maybe it was 128x128x128). In my experience, the more complex the model, the fewer frames it can have before screwing up in some way. Sorry, I don't know enough to give you any concrete information.

Correct on this one, although i should probably add that after alot of research into it, it seems models screwing up is alot more likely to happen to models where many verticles overlap during a frame or two (complex models have a much higher density, hence more likely to cause overlapping when cramped in a 256^2 area)

Doesn't always explain how i manage to overlap many verticles without messing that one up though (think headshot anims)

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Dozey
God Member

I love cleaning The Sunspire
with my mop.

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2012 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
To avoid my spam messanges I would like to put my question in this topic. If I've got model with polys more than in limit, I must re-model the weapon?? Or there is another way to import it to u1 engine?? BTW I am working on 227h version.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2012 at 9:27am
Print Post  
what means more than in limit? I've seen models with over 100k polycount and all what happened what a heavy drain in FPS...

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Gizzy
Ex Member

Oldunreal member

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2012 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Dozey wrote on May 6th, 2012 at 5:50pm:
To avoid my spam messanges I would like to put my question in this topic. If I've got model with polys more than in limit, I must re-model the weapon?? Or there is another way to import it to u1 engine?? BTW I am working on 227h version.

I had no problems or lag issues when I imported models from UT2004/UT3/Postal2/Bioshock (Assuming that your models won't be as high-poly as the ones used in those games)

IP Logged

mentalhunter
God Member

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2012 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
I think his refering to the distance glitchy bug?? Models get screwed over when standing from a certained distance and further.. THAT is the problem when porting models with to much poly's then unreal was meant to deal with.. You can fix this if you can get that.. whats it called? Oh yes! "MLMODE 0" If you can build that in the model's UC file this issue should be fixed. Unless.. This is NOT the issue afcourse, then this post is a total waste of time, hehe.

IP Logged

Dozey
God Member

I love cleaning The Sunspire
with my mop.

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2012 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
mentalhunter wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 5:59pm:
I think his refering to the distance glitchy bug?? Models get screwed over when standing from a certained distance and further.. THAT is the problem when porting models with to much poly's then unreal was meant to deal with.. You can fix this if you can get that.. whats it called? Oh yes! "MLMODE 0" If you can build that in the model's UC file this issue should be fixed. Unless.. This is NOT the issue afcourse, then this post is a total waste of time, hehe.

Thanks exactly what I've meaned for.

IP Logged

Gizzy
Ex Member

Oldunreal member

Reply #9 - May 21st, 2012 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
mentalhunter wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 5:59pm:

That, or modify the "STRENGTH=w/e" to 0.1 or something (Not 100% what the difference between MLOD and Strength is, waiting citation)

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2012 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
MLOD=0 in the import options disallows any LOD and actually makes the mesh into a standard Mesh, and not an LODMesh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo