Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Insane idea : Unreal 1 Splitscreen?? (Read 3754 times)
KeeperUTX
God Member

Magician of Fire

Insane idea : Unreal 1 Splitscreen??
Feb 27th, 2012 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
I know that you can go to lan games but my friend really likes unreal but i don't have a really good internet connection as it lags horrificly :S so he got the rather blatant idea of unreal or UT with splitscreen. So... any possibilities..?

Azhir uval nutarus. Azhir mudas ethanul. Dalektharu il dask daku. Riftuuz e thara samanar utamus. Elas umanes azarathan rakas ibna.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Re: Insane idea : Unreal 1 Splitscreen??
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
I don't think that's possible, since you need mouse input for it after all, and it's not a turn-based game. And from what I've seen so far, you can't just connect two mice to one PC and have two pointers.

So your best bet would still be a LAN game.

IP Logged

Sly.

Oldunreal member

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Hmmm.. Great Emerald has a good point.
However, wouldn't it be possible to make gamepad support for this "splitscreen" gametype making the gamepad automatically the second player or something of that kind?

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
I'd assume that it would theoretically be possible. But not without changing a lot of input code (since there is no way to bind keys for different players and so on).

IP Logged

Victor Delacroix
Betatester

Lord of the Dark Glyphs

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
There must be a way, but it'd require some real coding AND readiness to use... a gamepad. Most systems dislike pressing 3 keys at once so 2 players at one keyboard -- shitstorm for Windoze. I also haven't seen any option to use a second gamepad (I guess it would have to be hardcoded into Unreal, and I can't see that happening anytime soon) so it would make chances a bit uneven -- one person using mouse & kb, the other a gamepad... Let's face it, the gamepad-wielding person would be at a disadvantage from the get-go.

IP Logged

Sly.

Oldunreal member

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
True that, but let's say you wouldn't play DM but coop. Imagine a friend of you has no Unreal and has issues to get a copy of it, or he has a terrible connection or (I know, sounds unlikely these days) has no internet (I had a week without internet once due to a waterpipe that exploded down the street and broke up the asphalt and also cut the cable) but would love to play it coop with you, you would connect a gamepad and say "Why not?".
Would be a neat thing, not so good for DM or real CTF, but still a neat thing for coop.
Coop is a gametype, couldn't this result be achieved through modding that gametype?
There would be a problem with the key settings for the second player though because there is a bunch of gamepads for PC - keyboards on the other hand are all the same (to 90% at least). Otherwise, if people could agree on one certain required gamepad (e.g. Xbox360 gamepad), the keys could be set through the gametype. Changing them would not be possible then.
I'm not a coder and don't know if this would even work or if this would be even possible, however, I would at least want to hear someone's opinion on this. Smiley

IP Logged

Bleeder91[NL]
Betatester

Personal Text:

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
make 2 unreal folders, set one of em to use gamepad. open both in windowed mode and (with windows) r-click taskbar: Stack windows, or whatever it's called, I have the dutch version. One starts a LAN, the other one joins it, easy enuf?

IP Logged

Marzanna

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Connect 2 mice, 2 keyboards, 2 monitors. Run 2 xsessions (you need linux installed), enjoy!
Actually, I don't know will this work or not.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Bleeder91[NL] wrote on Feb 28th, 2012 at 2:07pm:
make 2 unreal folders, set one of em to use gamepad. open both in windowed mode and (with windows) r-click taskbar: Stack windows, or whatever it's called, I have the dutch version. One starts a LAN, the other one joins it, easy enuf?

No, unfortunately you can only have one window active at a time. The other one won't receive any input.

Marzanna wrote on Feb 28th, 2012 at 2:12pm:
Connect 2 mice, 2 keyboards, 2 monitors. Run 2 xsessions (you need linux installed), enjoy!
Actually, I don't know will this work or not.

Hmm, that's an interesting suggestion. But I don't think you can isolate input devices to certain X servers... Unless you can disable them somehow on one and not the other... Though in that case, an easier approach would be to add a bit more money and go for a fully-fledged thin client (include a processor, that is), that would even work on Windows as well Smiley

IP Logged

Bleeder91[NL]
Betatester

Personal Text:

Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Oh yeah, didn't think about that.. better have a 3rd person alt-tabbing at light speed then.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Bleeder91[NL] wrote on Feb 28th, 2012 at 3:42pm:
Oh yeah, didn't think about that.. better have a 3rd person alt-tabbing at light speed then.

And forbid the players from holding down any buttons, say, the run forward button Tongue

IP Logged

Marzanna

Reply #11 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 10:44am
Print Post  
GreatEmerald wrote on Feb 28th, 2012 at 3:14pm:
Hmm, that's an interesting suggestion. But I don't think you can isolate input devices to certain X servers... Unless you can disable them somehow on one and not the other... Though in that case, an easier approach would be to add a bit more money and go for a fully-fledged thin client (include a processor, that is), that would even work on Windows as well Smiley

Should work with properly configured xorg.conf
I haven't tried that, because I don't have usb keypoard.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

AlCapowned

Oldunreal member

Reply #12 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
That would be great if splitscreen could be implemented, especially if a similar idea could work for Unreal 2.

IP Logged

[UDHQ] Pcube
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
I think that this is doable in uscript, but I don't see it as being a practical use of time to make.

You could drawportal twice on the canvas from the perspective of each player and somehow have a couple playerpawns that listen for input on different keys.

Though, I'm probably missing something big here.. (I don't mess with pawns much)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo