Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Missing Sound Effects (Read 3654 times)
Mang Nux

Oldunreal member

Missing Sound Effects
Oct 9th, 2011 at 11:14am
Print Post  
As I recall this game has long had issues with missing sound effects. Most noticeable in my case are the intermittent footsteps.

From the first mission on Avalon I was experiencing this issue. It was especially bad in the Drakk homeworld, where I barely heard any footsteps from my character at all.

Does anyone know of a solution? A better OpenAL dll or something? I've tried all combinations of ini settings.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Re: Missing Sound Effects
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
maybe some driver problem. OpenAL is kinda bitchy with some cards, especially with onboard stuff. So some driver update might help.

As a last idea you could try to update your OpenAL version with the one from www.openal.org. Also Unreal2 seems to use a version of the OpenAL dll which is named DefOpenAL32, so maybe this one could be replaced with a more recent one out of the package mentioned above too (originally there it is named OpenAL32.dll), but that again can cause that it isn't working at all anymore then due to some missing library dependencies...

So you can mess a bit with all that. But if you find a solution, let us know Smiley

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
I remember UT2003 had an OpenAl fix because of sound problems. Seing how Unreal 2 is based on the same engine, I wouldn't be surprised something equivalent was issued for it.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Mang Nux

Oldunreal member

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 11:36am
Print Post  
I checked, and my system OpenAL32.dll is already v6.14.357.25 (the latest), and I have the game set to use the that system dll, not it's own DefOpenAL32.dll. Using DefOpenAL32, kills EAX altogether.

Hellkeeper, what UT2003 OpenAL fix are you talking about? I've never heard of it. I was just messing with UT2003 now, and I did notice the sound is slightly off compared to UT2004. I have both 03 and 04 configured the same, and set to use the system OpenAL32.dll driver, but 03 still has issues with player footsteps being too far apart etc.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Well I don't remember precisely the problems, but at the time some stuff was released and I have it here on my site. However this was a couple of years ago, and I don't know anything about sound systems. As far as I know, maybe this fix is now obsolete...

IP Logged

Mang Nux

Oldunreal member

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Hellkeeper wrote on Oct 10th, 2011 at 3:21pm:
Well I don't remember precisely the problems, but at the time some stuff was released and I have it here on my site. However this was a couple of years ago, and I don't know anything about sound systems. As far as I know, maybe this fix is now obsolete...

That on your site is a slightly newer version of DefOpenAL32 than what is included in UT2003. However, It's still outdated compared to my system OpenAL32, and when I tried using it there was no EAX at all.

I tried it in Unreal 2 as well, but same story: the only way I can get EAX is to use the system OpenAL32 (ie. UseDefaultDriver=False).

IP Logged

Mang Nux

Oldunreal member

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 3:05am
Print Post  
Had a development in the missing footstep case: I went to try and capture the issue with FRAPS, and fraps was acting retarded jamming the framerate to 9fps. Interstingly, at 9fps the footsteps were no longer missing! So I tried capping the framerate at 60fps, and despite sounding choppy, the footsteps were 90% there. So this issue is somehow related to framerate.

There are many places where I can run at my normal 120fps rate and the footsteps will be 100% normal, but in the areas where they don't usually play, a low framerate helps make them audible... Does that mean anything to you guys?

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
VSync ? Capping the game at 60fps may help.

IP Logged

Mang Nux

Oldunreal member

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Hellkeeper wrote on Oct 11th, 2011 at 5:46pm:
VSync ? Capping the game at 60fps may help.

Yes, that's what I did. I always use V-Sync, but I actually have a 120Hz monitor, and running at 60Hz is unacceptable to me. Besides, the issue wasn't completely 'fixed' at 60Hz, and there's no way in hell I'm going below 60.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo