Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) [227] Unreal - Enhanced Edition (Read 2481 times)
GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

[227] Unreal - Enhanced Edition
May 2nd, 2011 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Unreal: Enhanced Edition is a project aiming to enhance the original Unreal maps with features that the patch 227 provides. So far, the first map has been released to public, while several more are being worked on.

Download here:
http://greatemerald.xmpcommunity.com/index.php/unreal/unreal-maps/261-unreal-enh...

And, if you want a video preview, see my playthrough of it on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5C941BED71C61308
Namely, this first release includes the first map in the project, Vortex Rikers, which can be seen in video 3 and explained in video 35. For a preview of the other maps (still in progress), see videos four, five, twenty-nine, thirty-six and thirty-seven.

Below is the original first topic message for archival purposes.

--------

Since there apparently is a fair amount of people interested in the original Unreal campaign enhanced with 227 features, here's a separate thread about it (so we wouldn't hijack other threads). The working title right now is "Enhanced Edition".

Me and Delacroix have been discussing this for a while now, and have created an outline of things that would be nice to include in the updated levels, up to Dark Arena so far:

http://pastebin.com/xGUpjJMz

As it is said in the doc there, a project like that does require a lot of people. So it would be nice to know how many people would be interested in this project and could help in enhancing all the levels. Suggestions are also always welcome.

Also, as it is noted in the doc, there is an idea to later on branch this project to also include things like maps from the betas so you would get the full Unreal experience, and possibly even include non-linear gameplay there and allow players to choose different characters etc. But, of course, that would be done after the main project is finished.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2012 at 6:50am by GreatEmerald »  
IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Re: [227] Unreal - Enhanced Edition
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2011 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
I was envisioning a much bigger project, with maps entirely redone (on the same plane but with many more details) and taking advantage of the 227 features. The document seems to advocate minor changes and fixes (some fog here, some stuff there, some texture here, some water there).

Having not played nothing but the released game (ie: no betas), many things are unknown to me in the description of the redone levels.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2011 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Of course, complete remake is the ultimate goal - but it would take ages to create all those static meshes! And you know what happens to projects that are too big for the teams to handle. Of course, if we get a lot of skilled modellers, it could be pulled off right off the bat, but yea, I like being realistic here. Those features there are the most "efficient" changes - they don't require too much work, yet they make a difference, especially sunlight and such.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2011 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Why Static meshes ? This is not UE2.0 Smiley I'm thinking of a higher level of details but still in BSP, like what we see in the nicest UT maps !

All in all, if we have enough mappers and can distributes the same number of maps to everyone, since the maps already exist, this would not take as long as a complete TC or a port. Taking ages is not that important for a game that is eons old Wink

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2011 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
If you want higher detail levels in BSP, then you will still probably want to convert those to Static Meshes in order to ease the BSP tree Smiley But yea, if enough people are interested in that, why not.

IP Logged

KillerSkaarj
God Member

Self-proclaimed Thread
Ninja™

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2011 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
I'm interested, although I want to know if it's okay if I just do basic stuff like fancy particle effects, sunlight coronas, adding static meshes, etc. That kinda stuff. But someone else is going to have to do the more complex and tedious tasks like merging Dig and Dug, porting Static meshes, re-adding the Warlord scene, etc. etc. since I don't think I could be that committed to a project of this scope doing something I'm not comfortable with. Remember what happened with UT3Style? I converted the weapon models, added them to the game, sent them to you and you haven't heard from me since. Embarrassed

So to avoid this happening again, I think it would be better if we split people up based on what they're good at. I mean, the same concept works for almost every job that exists so why not apply it to a fan-project? Grin

EDIT: Also, we could do advanced BSP by using the UDK's Geometry Editor tool. For those who don't know what that is, think of it as a basic toolset from a modelling program ported to the UDK and converted to work with BSP (or in that case CSG) brushes. It can merge vertices, extrude faces, delete faces, all that good stuff. It made the old vertex editing system and tesselated cube brushes obsolete.

This post is sponsored by the Modify Button.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2011 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
You call fancy particle effects "basic stuff"? Cheesy The other things are easier in my opinion. All the things filed under Beta are for a lot later, so the merge won't happen until later on. So far there are no SMs to port, although doing that doesn't seem to be difficult either. And Warlord adding is a matter of placing the Warlord actor in the right spot Smiley

By the way, I'm working on pathing Vortex2, using my nice little pet Krall to do all the verification work for me.

IP Logged

KillerSkaarj
God Member

Self-proclaimed Thread
Ninja™

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2011 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
GreatEmerald wrote on May 3rd, 2011 at 8:28pm:
You call fancy particle effects "basic stuff"? Cheesy The other things are easier in my opinion. All the things filed under Beta are for a lot later, so the merge won't happen until later on. So far there are no SMs to port, although doing that doesn't seem to be difficult either. And Warlord adding is a matter of placing the Warlord actor in the right spot Smiley

By the way, I'm working on pathing Vortex2, using my nice little pet Krall to do all the verification work for me.

Well, particle effects might not be basic but it's one of the few things I'm good at in Unreal Ed 2.1. Grin As for the other things, I don't think I'll be able to do them. Well, except for the task of converting static meshes, which I'm assuming we're converting from UT2004, in which case I can totally do that.

Since the Beta tasks are going to be reserved for later, I guess once we hit that stage I'll be done until the next batch. Assuming we'll be releasing this mod in batches (or "episodes" if you prefer), of course. Cheesy

EDIT: Also, heavy optimization will be necessary, since things like FluidSurfaceInfos slow the game down by a lot. Although I don't know how to do that either so someone else is going to have to do it.

EDIT2: You want I should start adding effects now or should I wait until you're done pathing? Also, what is the order of changes going to be? So far it looks like Pathing will be first and Beta re-additions will be last, but what's in between and in what order?
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2011 at 10:41pm by KillerSkaarj »  

IP Logged

Gizzy
Ex Member

Oldunreal Member

Reply #8 - May 4th, 2011 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Working on Vortex2 Static Meshes now...I looked at the design doc and I'm not sure how much of the level can be converted from bsp->staticmesh

edit: lol, ok so replacing all semisolids with a single SM is a baaaad idea. I'll ask delacroix on msn what sections he needs changing.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #9 - May 4th, 2011 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
In my opinion, it should all be modular. That is, don't worry about pathing - I will save all my pathnodes to a T3D so it will be easy to add them whenever. If you can do the same, you should do so as well and make it possible to develop the map without slowing down others. Note that actor groups should work very well here - just add any changes you do into a group and when you want to submit the changes, select the group and copy all the actors. Of course, if someone needs to do things like adding resources to myLevel, it can't be done in a modular fashion.

As for optimisation, I don't think we can do anything about that, pretty much anything you do will not affect anything. Of course, spawning thousands of particles is probably not a great idea Cheesy

Also, Delacroix said that the beta reimplementation section should be applied as well, at least for the start, in order to see if people like the changes there. Your opinion matters to us, too!

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #10 - May 4th, 2011 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Better zoning, maybe reworking a couple of corridors to keep some polys out of the ways, there are several things that can be done to optimize a bit.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #11 - May 4th, 2011 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Just noticed a thing while testing - on the bridge, the crumbling floor has an invisible collision hull. While it's nice to have it there, it's horribly aligned. If it's not a BlockAll to begin with... Also, there are even three builder rooms here! They should be removed.

Oh, and now me and my pet Krall can move all the way to Sickbay. An interesting thing that I've noticed is that Krall will follow me even if there are no paths, but it will do so by walking - basically the same is with bots in unpathed maps, they walk around aimlessly. Just that my Krall here is a little more directed. But when there's pathing, the Krall starts dashing with incredible speed if I'm far enough. So it will definitely pay to path the maps even if used without bots.

IP Logged

KillerSkaarj
God Member

Self-proclaimed Thread
Ninja™

Reply #12 - May 4th, 2011 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
GreatEmerald wrote on May 4th, 2011 at 6:14pm:
In my opinion, it should all be modular. That is, don't worry about pathing - I will save all my pathnodes to a T3D so it will be easy to add them whenever.

Oh wow, I didn't think of that... good idea! Alright, I'll start adding particle effects to Vortex. I might need to read up on some documentation for the emitters though just in case.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #13 - May 4th, 2011 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Ah yeah, the building rooms. Almost every map has a couple of those which were never deleted, I really don't get why they would waste space memory and power keeping these; maybe they just ran out of time and the levels were not as "finished" as they thought.

As for the broken bridge in vortex, it doesn't have an ICH, it's a couple of BlockAll actors with tiny radii. They don't collide anything (projectiles mostly) because I guess they wanted to spare collision calculation for the player but thought projectiles would have to hit the real objects not the invisible radius of a BlockAll.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #14 - May 5th, 2011 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Not that you could ever fire projectiles there anyway.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo