Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ahaigh's S3TC download page (Read 22419 times)
Lightning_Hunter

Re: ahaigh's S3TC download page
Reply #15 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Is there a UT version of Casey's file above? I was just thinking the other day how low-quality the barrels and crates look compared to the S3TC textures, and I have to admit that they look incredible in the new ExtremeEnd UnrealShare.u file above. Pretty please, can someone tell me how to use them in UT? Cheesy

For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #16 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 12:09am
Print Post  
The texture merger I made, for some reason, crashes when I try to use it in UT.

IT works fine in unrealgold/227i, but the critical function (I think an editor import factory) crashes. I haven't looked at it in years though...

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #17 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 12:38am
Print Post  
The only way I know of adding these textures to UT is to convert the .dds files in photoshop to .bmp files, then use a program called "bright" to convert that to 256 color pcx files.  I can then import them in to UED.  They lose a little bit of quality during the conversion process, however...  If there is a better way, I would like to know. 

DDS files cannot be used by UT, right?

IP Logged

スマイル・ドラゴン
Betatester

『smile。。。』

Reply #18 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 12:58am
Print Post  
You can import 24-bpp BMP into Unreal and the import generator creates a DXT-1 texture object... DXT-1 is S3TC.

Only use Bright if you want to stay true to Unreal's limits and don't want to crash people running Glide renderer.

I am the dragon without a name.
rk-__-ght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil
IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #19 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 5:56am
Print Post  
スマイル・ドラゴン wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 12:58am:
You can import 24-bpp BMP into Unreal and the import generator creates a DXT-1 texture object... DXT-1 is S3TC.

Only use Bright if you want to stay true to Unreal's limits and don't want to crash people running Glide renderer.

What is the import generator?

IP Logged

スマイル・ドラゴン
Betatester

『smile。。。』

Reply #20 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 3:37am
Print Post  
Um, it's a native object that handles bitmap file conversion to Unreal's internal texture class?

I can't really tell you exactly what it "is", I was just saying that when it's invoked with a 24-bit BMP file as the import target, it automatically creates a DXT-1 (S3TC) format Texture object for you to use.

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #21 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 5:13am
Print Post  
スマイル・ドラゴン wrote on Feb 24th, 2015 at 3:37am:
Um, it's a native object that handles bitmap file conversion to Unreal's internal texture class?

I can't really tell you exactly what it "is", I was just saying that when it's invoked with a 24-bit BMP file as the import target, it automatically creates a DXT-1 (S3TC) format Texture object for you to use.

I guess I phrased my question wrong. I thought you were implying that there was some external program that imports textures (an import generator), but I misread your post. I guess my real question is how I import 24-bit bmp files in to Unreal, as you said I could do. I am familiar with UED2.0, and I know it cannot import BMP files at all (UnrealED 1 can). Besides, it only works with 256 colors.

I guess what I need is a tutorial or something along those lines that tells me how to get these .dds files in to UnrealShare.u. I can use photoshop to convert the .dds files to 24-bit bmp, but then what?  Do I use UCC?

IP Logged

スマイル・ドラゴン
Betatester

『smile。。。』

Reply #22 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 5:17am
Print Post  
Unreal does not operate on 256 colours alone. You need to specify "all types" or manually type in the import command into the unreal log window in the editor. I've imported 24-bit BMP's into Unreal all the time, and Unreal warns that it created a DXT1, the warning is there because not all graphics cards at the time even knew what that format even is internally. (This obviously isn't a problem today)

I've never ran into any issues importing .BMP into Unreal, you can even export .BMP if you type the export filename as .bmp instead of .pcx.

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #23 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 5:34am
Print Post  
So how do I import them? What is the command in Unreal?  That's what I'm asking here. Wink

IP Logged

スマイル・ドラゴン
Betatester

『smile。。。』

Reply #24 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 6:04am
Print Post  
I don't remember it off hand, and none of my Unreal related stuff is on this system and currently stuck on drives I can't mount externally yet.

If you import a texture the command will show up in the log. (It should, but I'm speaking from UnrealED 1.0 experience)

Sorry for confusing you that much, but I still think in the import dialog there should be a option to view "All files" not just "PCX" and you should beable at that point to import a .BMP (It needs to be 24-bit, with no colourspace information)

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #25 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Well, I remembered that UnrealED2 can import bmp files after all. You just have to have it display "all files" (or rename the .bmp to .pcx to trick the editor). It also successfully imports 24-bit bmp files, which I never knew it could do.

However, I'm having trouble with the masked properties. Whenever I import Jtree51 for example, the tree in the game has the black masking bug (you can see the black parts of the texture). I tried importing the texture with "masked" both on and off, but neither worked.

Casey, how did you import these textures before?

IP Logged

スマイル・ドラゴン
Betatester

『smile。。。』

Reply #26 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
DXT1 can't mask properly. Though I've had strange instances of it masking only RGB 000 in the image, I think that may be a hack of UTGLR in the works though.

The DXT1 format traditionally speaking only supports a 1-bit alpha mask. But I don't know how to save a file with 1-bit alpha.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #27 - Feb 26th, 2015 at 8:07am
Print Post  
I imported them using a custom C++ inline replacement tool that doesn't modify import/export table & guid

It's not something released, and as mentioned, last I remember UT crashes using the method that works for u1

IP Logged

sn260591

Reply #28 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 7:15am
Print Post  
For import of dds textures to unreal and ut99 it is possible to use the ut2004 editor.  In addition, for the ut99 editor need set WindowedRenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice (in UnrealTournament.ini) and Device=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice (in UnrealEd.ini), otherwise it will crash when you open the package.

Sorry for my bad English

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #29 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 4:14am
Print Post  
Does the 227 patch come with a modified UnrealShare.u? I ask this, because if I am using the modified UnrealShare.u that has high-res skins, it will be outdated when there is a new release of 227...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo