Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Introducing Extreme End S3TC (Read 37447 times)
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Re: Introducing Extreme End S3TC
Reply #30 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
If correct this is a render problem, and about a year ago i contacted Chris Dohnel about it, and he agreed it is likelly a setting in the renderer.

It happens when a translucent texture is projected over a S3TC surface. And mostly it can be seen on maps where the stars are S3TC and beneath the stars are translucent clouds. Due to the error, the clouds (in this example) will disapear.

This effect is good visible in DOM-MetealDream as the blue clouds(or northern light) dissappear. In DM-Pyramid whole cloudslayers disapear.

If correct the problem is gone if you use OpenGL, since the problem only occurs in D3D8 and D3D9. Let me know if that solved the problem, to rule out a new problem.

So try OpenGL to see if the problem is solved.

IP Logged

-Shadow-

Oldunreal's n00b

Reply #31 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
oh, ok. It's definitely gotta be the renderer. I'm using D3D9.
I tried to use OpenGL, but it just doesn't want to work so well on my computer (It's Vista, by the way).
OpenGL doesn't run smooth at all. It's always very choppy and lots of weird lines appear horizontally across the screen.
I've searched everywhere to try and fix this problem, but OpenGL always seems to remain choppy.
Do you happen to know how to fix this problem?

Nanodesu!

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #32 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Even though its choppy could you still check if OpenGL solves the problem ?

An yes, i have the same problem, i always used OpenGL, and now i have Vista its compleytelly useless. Its choppy as hell, and i have to use D3D8/9. The same happens with Photoshop, its really difficult to work with Photoshop since i have Vista. Same there, its choppy like hell, and makes it virtually impossible to paint, because the cursor behaves like its bungeejumping on a rubber band.

Btw, i do have an OpenGL problem with Unreal, but not UT, there it runs pretty ok. But at the moment i can run Unreal in OpenGL at all for whatever reason.

As for a solution or fix, i have no idea, except we both should get rid of the worthless piece if Sh@t called Vista.

IP Logged

-Shadow-

Oldunreal's n00b

Reply #33 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
ok, I changed my renderer to OpenGL and looked at the same Deja vu map that had the sky squares, and they were still present Cry
I guess that it might be the textures or the mapper's mistake. I think that I will soon try to use the original textures and see what happens. I will post later about this.

As for Vista, I'm really upset that I got this. I don't even know about Windows 7. I don't really have trust in the newer Windows OS's anymore.
*sigh* When I move out, I think I'll just get a new desktop with XP on it.

EDIT: lol, I just saw an Alienware Area 51 on sale in Craigslist for $600,700!

Nanodesu!

IP Logged

[Ŕ] ŤhěxĐŕkśđěŕ
Oldunreal MasterPoster

「エレクトロマスター」

Reply #34 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
I *MIGHT* get a windows 7 license soon from school, but I simply HATE windows so if I get it, I could sell it to someone for like $1 or something if you need it...

Not sure if it will happen though, don't hope for it too much.

IP Logged

-Shadow-

Oldunreal's n00b

Reply #35 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
alright, sorry about the late post, but here are my findings about the sky squares:

I replaced all of the S3TC textures with the original ones that came with the game, and I didn't find any squares at all in the maps that I found the squares in. So it probably must be the S3TC textures........

Do you think you could rotate them or something like that so that they are aligned together properly in the sky? You probably might have to look at the map yourself and see......

Nanodesu!

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #36 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
some notes...
I started investigating this problem with the skyboxes and the border, also talked with Chris about it. I think its more related to the texture size than the fact if it is DXT or not. So if you use a 1024x1024 texture but P8 it will do the same.
Not sure yet how and if this is fixable, but will do some more testings (hopefully in the next days if my health allows me that).

As for the choppy OpenGL trouble- usually only thing that can fix it is another (newer) driver. So be sure to have the latest driver installed and that from NVIDIA or ATI directly. That should fix your problems (at least it does in most cases).
But ATI seems to have OpenGL issues with their drivers again and again, so if using ATI it's maybe best to stick with D3D8/9.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #37 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Well, g_p at the UnrealTexture forums posted below screenshot, and i asume this is the same error:

Is this the same error, as you mentioned Shadow ? If so can you also provide the name of the map you saw it in ?

Quote:
some notes...
I started investigating this problem with the skyboxes and the border, also talked with Chris about it. I think its more related to the texture size than the fact if it is DXT or not. So if you use a 1024x1024 texture but P8 it will do the same.
Not sure yet how and if this is fixable, but will do some more testings (hopefully in the next days if my health allows me that).

To be honest its the first time ive seen this type of error, but are you now saying its also renderer dependant ? The screenshot above was taken in one of the beta maps converted by .:..:

So its dots fault really Tongue

But no of course, but it looks kinda weird, almost if the clouds are invidual brushes where the textures have been scaled, or, that the scalling somehow is messed up (projected bigger or smaller)while its one tilable surface. Which than again results in non tiles textures. Kinda odd if you think of it lol.

Same here as for Smirftsch, my health went down the drain, and i am able to make posts, but thats pretty much it. Got too much pain and lots of other disfunctional fysics that i hardly can concentrate on anything. So real testing will have to wait till i feel at least a tiny bit more decent that i am now.

But i am glad that g_p posted that screenshot because i was gonna ask here, cause i had no clue what you were talking about Shadow. But i asume this is what you saw ?

IP Logged

-Shadow-

Oldunreal's n00b

Reply #38 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
yes, that's exactly what the clouds look like in the Deja vu levels, except that the lines are a lot more visible.

I saw this sky box problem for the first time in these two maps from Deja vu:

USP-05-Jaunie-Frieza
USP-06-Jaunie

There may be some other maps in Deja vu that might have this problem.
If there are any other maps out there that may have this problem, I will let you know.

Nanodesu!

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #39 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
There is a crucial update available for Starship. The update will fix the disapeared grates in the package.

UNREAL

Unreal Extreme End

UNREAL TOURNAMENT

UT Extreme End
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2011 at 7:19pm by DieHard SCWS »  

IP Logged

-Shadow-

Oldunreal's n00b

Reply #40 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 3:17am
Print Post  
is the file size supposed to be the same in this update?

Nanodesu!

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #41 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 3:32am
Print Post  
I did not pay attention to that, but since i didnt add or remove anything, it should be the same size, maybe give or take a few bits.

IP Logged

Seth

Oldunreal member

Reply #42 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Will extreme end run well on a mobility radeon 4850 with 512 MB of VRAM and core 2 duo at 2.93 ghz and 4 gigs of ram?

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #43 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 8:16am
Print Post  
It runs on everything. The only difference is performance. And you won't know until you try.

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #44 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Yeah that pretty much sums it up. At the end you simply have try it. If it runs smootly depends on how powerfull the CPU is as well as the GPU and the amount of memory both have. And of course how many things are running on the background.

Than it also depends on the maps themselves. If the maps have a high Extreme End count as far as textures than the computer needs to work harder, if it has less than the drain is also less. And it also depends on the total amount of textures. For all those reasons its difficult to predict what happens.

And the specification i give are only very general guideline. But seeing your specifics i asume it will run fine as i could run them also with a 256 card(on a desktop system). But indeed, at the end you will only know when you try it Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo