Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Introducing Extreme End S3TC (Read 37468 times)
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Introducing Extreme End S3TC
Dec 26th, 2009 at 12:23am
Print Post  
About a year and a half ago, i was looking at the textures ingame, and mainly the grass, rocks and soil that can be found outdoors. Most of those textures are superemposed on the surface to make it look real. All those textures are added in the size 256 x 256 pixels, which means that the S3TC counterparts are 2028 x 2048 pixels.

And i thought to myself, most of those maps do not use that many different textures, which means the drag on the videocard is low. So what now if i add those textures in the size of 4096 x 4096 pixels. This means that the detail is 400% of the High End version. And there it is, the Extreme End packages were born Smiley

Following that idea i started working on the textures asuming they will be Extreme End rather than High End. Last year i already was working in the DecayedS package, and i was redoing the package from scratch. So with that in mind i started to create all the texture Extreme End.

Now with the release of the updated DecayedS package, i also present the first Extreme End package. And its big alright, its a staggering 887 Mb big utx file, and sure must be the largest texture package worldwide by far Cheesy

Yes you read that well Smiley 887 Mb

Offically i will not support these type of packages for follow reason, i am running out of drivespace real badly(at home), and hosting is a serious problem. UnrealTexture being a big and large site, hosting these packages is far beyond what the site can handle.

This does mean that i uploaded the file to RapidShare for the moment till i find a good solution for the hosting.

In a few i will give the downloadlink but if you decide to download keep this in mind:

ITS A HUGE DRAIN ON YOU VIDEOCARD !!!!

Which menas you need a friggen good computer and videocard to run it...........

- All textures originally added to the game in the size 32, 64, 128 pixels have been added in the size 2048 x 2048 pixels.
- All textures originally added to the game in the size 256, 512, 1024 pixels have been added in the size 4096 x 4096 pixels.

So its big alright Smiley

Here is the download in case you want to give it a try, but dont go complain if it lags, and i strongly advise if it does, pleas go back to High End because they also still are super cool to play with(and for that mattter the Low End version).

Link:

For the ones that are able to play them, please let me know here how your system handles them, including the specs of your system, so we can find out what you need to run them.

Here is the FileFront download: ExtremeEnd_DecayedS.zip

Before you download: ALSO READ THIS PLEASE

Keep the bandwidth of UnrealTexture in mind, in case you also downloaded the High End version, than please keep that file for safekeeping in case Extreme End wont work for you. If you keep the High End version on a safe place than you dont have to download it twice. Please keep that in mind..................

Merry Christmas everyone Smiley

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Ex Member

nedm

Re: Introducing Extreme End S3TC
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2009 at 1:57am
Print Post  
sure you can't make that 888 mb? koopa would be proud

but in other news.. HOLY SHIT

IP Logged

[Ŕ] ŤhěxĐŕkśđěŕ
Oldunreal MasterPoster

「エレクトロマスター」

Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2009 at 6:08am
Print Post  
crappity smack. Holy shit. This is god damn unbelievable. I can't wait to get the new PC to try this out. Cheesy I hope my dad gets me the stuff until new year so I can build a nice PC to see this.

IP Logged

NaliSlayer

Oldunreal member

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2009 at 11:33am
Print Post  
uhm,the file is broken,i downloaded it 4x times and its says decayeds.utx file is broken. both with 7-zip and winrar Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #4 - Dec 26th, 2009 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Terrible sorry about the downloads, plain said the hosts i tried sucks, but i am uploading to a mirror site of mine, that has 50 gig of bandwidth left. It will take aprox on more hour to upload, and i will post a new link as soon as its there to download.

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2009 at 11:31am
Print Post  
DieHard SCWS wrote on Dec 26th, 2009 at 9:14pm:
Terrible sorry about the downloads, plain said the hosts i tried sucks, but i am uploading to a mirror site of mine, that has 50 gig of bandwidth left. It will take aprox on more hour to upload, and i will post a new link as soon as its there to download.

Thanks. I had a corrupted download also when I got it yesterday. I'll try the new link when it is ready then. Ty for the fix!

By the way: You may want to try RAR or 7z for the big files. RAR is smaller and can have a protected archive (against corruption) and 7z is probably the smallest.

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2009 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
In the meantime i have a new link on FilePlanet: extremeend_unreal_decayeds.zip

And i did download the file myself to make sure its not corrupted on the FilePlanet server. So the file itself should be ok, and when oi tried i was able to download it in about 15-20 minutes. So if your lucky yoou can download it relative fast. Obciously the only downside is that they might force you install the stupid download manager Angry

But i am working on a bunch of critical updates, because alot of bugs (and errors on my part) showed up. And i asume that all bugs will have been mentioned in the next couple a days, so i could have an update ready upcomming friday.

IP Logged

NaliSlayer

Oldunreal member

Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2009 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
lol guess what,ur fileplanet link * An error has occurred on the download for this file, to report this error please visit Customer Service. *   Angry

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2009 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
From what i saw last couple a days, follow can happen with FilePlanet:

- An error has occurred on the download for this file.
- You can only download the file if you take a payed subscription.
- There are no free download slots available.

And the solution is simple, for all goes try again later.......

And its is something i cannot bypass simply because i do not have the fundings to buy me a VPS server, as that cost about 150 dollars a month, which is something i never will be able to afford.

The Normal, Low End and High End textures i simply can host, that not a too big of a problem. But hosting the Extreme End is a too much of a risk with the current host to loose the entire account. and that is simply not worth risking.

So futurewise the Extreme files will only be hosted with FilePlanet. FileFront is out, because too many people couldnt download, and once the were able, they were left with a 550 Mb corrupt file....

So my only advise is to try again Lips Sealed

In the meantime i will contact Skillz to ask him how he is gonna host the files, if so than we have another good primary download site, as he has a VPS server.

IP Logged

[Ŕ] ŤhěxĐŕkśđěŕ
Oldunreal MasterPoster

「エレクトロマスター」

Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2009 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Use 7z cause rar is f*cking proprietary sh*t.

Also use torrents for the files... >______________>

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2009 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Right, completelly forgot to answer that.

But its simple, from the aprox 160000 files i have you can make a good averidge which files getting corrupt easelly.

And number one place is 7z
Mixed second place is rar and zip

Which means the choice is between rar and zip.

And than i will always choose zip simply because of compatebility, pretty much everone has a zip extractor since its an ancient format, and if not they can be find widelly. I also use a crappy old version for the zipfiles to make sure any ziparchiver can handle all zipfiles i offer.

On top of that, zip is very known and people know how to handle them, and as last, it has native support under XP and Vista(last one is an assumption though).

And for all those reasons i choose zip and will continue that.

IP Logged

[Ŕ] ŤhěxĐŕkśđěŕ
Oldunreal MasterPoster

「エレクトロマスター」

Reply #11 - Dec 27th, 2009 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Well if you put a md5sum file along with each texture package, people will see (and hopefully act) if something is corrupted. Tongue

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #12 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 7:43am
Print Post  
The FilePlanet link works fine here and the textures are very detailed indeed! Great work, once again.

IP Logged

Turboman.
God Member
Developer Team

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 12:00am
Print Post  
got really interested in this, but read too late that the filefront link was broken, had to wait for nothing Sad

and failplanet doesnt work here, i get a server error, turned off adblock,noscript, even tried in IE

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #14 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Sorry to hear that all............., but, sunshine is comming Smiley

Sunday i will release the updates on the package, and i will provide new and better links.

FilePlanet links will be updated, but i also made arrangements with Skillz From www.ut-files.com who is willing to host the files(both UT and Unreal.

FilePlanet will stay the primary download for future Extreme files, but i will always also provide a link to Skillz his site, so people will have a choice.

So maybe just wait till upcomming sunday and better links will be provided, and of course the package is updated !!!

At this moment i am almost done with the updates and i am re-uploading all S3TC files for Unreal and UT to the site again, since i redid the entire texture section. And i will also upload everything to FilePlanet and UT-Files.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo