Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Max Appearance Settings for Unreal 2? (Read 22657 times)
gp

Max Appearance Settings for Unreal 2?
Oct 20th, 2009 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
I'm giving Unreal 2 another try, and would like to have all the eye candy turned on. After going through the video options in the in-game menu, the game world still seems heavily aliased. In comparison, Unreal 227 with everything maxed seems much more clear, as well as more current games. I tried looking in Unreal 2's advanced settings, but I wasn't sure what the ideal settings should be for each entry. I also tried forcing higher settings through the video card's control panel, but that didn't seem to do the trick. Things still look jagged and the draw distance looks like it can be improved.

If there's some tweaking that can be done to the advanced settings, or even directly into the ini, I'm interested. I also did some light searching for any enhanced renderers or high resolution textures to no avail.

So my question is basically how to get Unreal 2 to look as good as possible, whether it be by third-party or just maxing all available settings that shipped with the game. Any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged

スマイル・ドラゴン
Betatester

『smile。。。』

Re: Max Appearance Settings for Unreal 2?
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Unreal 2 wasn't designed to use Anti Aliasing properly, if you have a NIVIDA Geforce card you can force Quincux 16x anti aliasing but this will seriously degrade overall performance as it's not smart on what and what not to anti alias...

Forcing settings worked for me though so I don't see exactly what your problem is unless you're not doing it properly... Unreal 2 overall has no "high res" textures, neither does any other game. They just fake it using bump maps and other post processing effects, but the average texture size is either 512x512 or 1024x1024...

I am the dragon without a name.
rk-__-ght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil
IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
The question is, what's your graphics card and drivers?

IP Logged

gp

Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 12:05am
Print Post  
I appreciate the interest, but I ended up uninstalling it a few maps in when I found it just wasn't entertaining to me.

IP Logged

Pcube
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 7:37am
Print Post  
An excellent choice.

IP Logged

KillerSkaarj
God Member

Self-proclaimed Thread
Ninja

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 5:50am
Print Post  
I found Unreal 2 to be a decent way to kill time, and some parts were kinda fun (for me at least). It's a terrible Unreal game but it's at least a halfway decent Halo-clone (Yes, I called Unreal 2 a Halo clone. What of it?)

This post is sponsored by the Modify Button.

IP Logged

Bleeder91[NL]
Betatester

Personal Text:

Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
KillerSkaarj wrote on Nov 11th, 2009 at 5:50am:
I found Unreal 2 to be a decent way to kill time, and some parts were kinda fun (for me at least). It's a terrible Unreal game but it's at least a halfway decent Halo-clone (Yes, I called Unreal 2 a Halo clone. What of it?)

yep, I get your point.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
It's a good game, although its possibilities are endless, it's just that those who only play it can't understand what they could do with the engine itself. For example, with the dialog system and such, you could even turn it into a good RPG.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #8 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
GreatEmerald wrote on Nov 11th, 2009 at 6:22pm:
It's a good game, although its possibilities are endless, it's just that those who only play it can't understand what they could do with the engine itself. For example, with the dialog system and such, you could even turn it into a good RPG.

There's a lot of could and should and may and was supposed to, but in the end, the game itself was really not good and mods using it can be counted on the fingers of one hand Sad

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

gp

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2009 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
I personally feel that Unreal 2 is the result of shortsighted planning and a lack of vision from Epic as a business. To throw another "could have" into the mix, Epic could have viewed the Unreal universe as a franchise to build upon. Instead they tossed away the development of the sequel to a third-party who, despite any different opinions about the quality of the game, most fans don't feel as if it fit within the atmosphere created by Unreal or that it's a "true sequel." I think that RTNP should have given Epic warning signs that Legend simply didn't have the talent to handle a full sequel to their franchise, and Unreal as a series could be in a completely different place had the proper effort and skill gone into the development of Unreal 2.

Valve software released Half-Life in 1998, the same year that Unreal was released. Sure they had some bumps and bruises along the way, but I use them as an example to point out that it's possible to have a franchise still going strong for over a decade with fans still anticipating the release of the next Episode. And just this month Infinity Ward released their sixth entry in their flagship series, and I believe I read its sales are strong enough that they might break records. If Epic had kept the development in-house and maintained the standards Unreal created, Unreal would be more profitable and we as fans could be awaiting the release of the third, forth or whatever entry using the latest technology to push the limits of what Unreal brought to us originally.

Finally I'd say that Epic could have scaled their development team with their profits and expansion plans, and wouldn't have had to abandon their Gears of War development if they had hired new people to take over the development of Unreal. All they'd have to do is maintain QA over the project without losing any place they're at today. GoW people would have their game and we'd have ours. Oh well. Cheesy

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2009 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
No way, Legend was able to create a good game. The problem is that nobody let them do that. They had to release a game with everything removed from it, since Epic or Atari wanted a release too early. If it wasn't rushed, it would have been a success, I'm sure.
Atari were being evil anyway - first, rushing out U2, telling Legend to cut all the MP content from it, and finally terminating Legend when they were in the middle of a project and still in the support cycle for U2/XMP.
It seems, however, that Epic have learned their lesson - the Titan Pack came out really well, it wasn't rushed (and even kept as a secret so nobody would try and rush it), was well planned, included content reminding about U1, plus they are choosing better publishers now.

IP Logged

スマイル・ドラゴン
Betatester

『smile。。。』

Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2009 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Atari went from being a nice home console company in the 80's to a completely B$ publisher today... Screw them..

IP Logged

Leo T_C_K
Betatester

Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2009 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Except that the new Atari are in fact Infogrames..and Legend delevoped a lot of strong titles, later some guys left the company and they were sold under gt interactive, under which they produced few games including wheel of time, which is a great looking game and also ahead of its time in many things...
Unreal2 had a lot of potential, the original idea and creature design etc was excellent, the final product what we got is a pretty much knockoff of all of that. In fact it had far more potential, than say quake 2 ever did, which is just a rather tasteless spinoff of quake.

I wouldn't even call it a Halo clone, since Halo ripped off ideas from other games and the developement of both games overlapped. Unreal2 started developement right after Legend finished their other games, oh and RtNP was not done by a main team even, they just hired quake community mappers and Unreal coders to do the job. Talented people on their own though, but they didn't have much time to do the pack and they had very little experience of working professionaly.

People who accuse others of trolling are usually the biggest trolls themselves.
YouTube  
IP Logged

スマイル・ドラゴン
Betatester

『smile。。。』

Reply #13 - Nov 17th, 2009 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior ripped off from Halo so many things you'd be surprised.

IP Logged

Leo T_C_K
Betatester

Reply #14 - Nov 17th, 2009 at 12:49am
Print Post  
I didn't even play Halo..but it never looked like a good game to me and it is actually what I hate on the modern games and the enemies are awful, some cute lame monsters running around speaking english? Is that supposed to be menacing? I watched some playthrough videos, didn't watch all because it got really boring.

Unreal2 didn't have any english speaking aliens and they all looked more menacing than what is found in Halo, and if they didn't cut the other enemiesand enemy types, then it would be even better.

Halo was main competitor on XBox opposed to Metroid Prime (sadly I never played it) on Nintendo GameCube, while Unreal 2 kinda stayed in behind that and for PC. (in fact whoever posted that pic could even bring Samus Aran in the line, they are all "heroes" in suits, also that Master Chief in the first pic is not from original Halo, so you should have shown the original I think, than compare it with Halo3 one or what it is)

People who accuse others of trolling are usually the biggest trolls themselves.
YouTube  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo