Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Mapping Tips & Tricks (Read 3700 times)
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
Oldunreal MasterPoster

「エレクトロマスター」

Mapping Tips & Tricks
Sep 3rd, 2009 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
I've started a thread for tips, anyone submit any mapping tips they have (to avoid bsp, to make a nice map, etc.).

Ok I'll start...

1. NEVER use cubes as zone separators (I made a nonsolid cube w/ sides marked as portals and it worked out fine until it cut a bsp hole through half of my map... replaced with 4 sheets (from floor to ceiling) and it worked fine).

2. Intersect anything you want to substract, deintersect anything you want to add.

3. Don't fuсk with the rebuild dialog's sliders too much for it can cause a disaster and completely fuсk up your map beyond all recognition.

4. Avoid using reflective surfaces (translucent + mirror) near fake backdrops (I did that because I can but only once, for lulz).

5. Slice your map to pieces using zones, but don't get crazy and zone off every unit.

6. Basic geometry goes first (use "Set ZoneInfo AmbientBrightness 255 | Flush" while playing through"), then basic lights, then detail geometry, then fine lighting and finally items and enemies (but make sure you leave enough room for everything).

7. Save before rebuild!

8. Keep multiple copies of your map so if you fuсk something up, you can easily revert (like I keep at least 100 snapshots of my virtual PC where I code).

9. Do not rebuild paths until final rebuild.

10. Do *NOT* rebuild paths until final rebuild!

11. However, if you *DO* rebuild paths every time you rebuild your map (because you didn't know this before, hurf durf), select all Inventory, Pawn, Keypoint (?) and NavigationPoint (sub)classes, right click one of the selected actors and select Order -> To Last. That will sink reachspecs like Titanic sunk itself (lol fail).

12. Before you add or substract a brush, look at it for god's sake... If it's additive and sinking into floor and you don't want it to, deintersect it (and if it's substractive and is hanging in mid-air, intersect it). If it's pointing out somewhere it shouldn't, make a test room, do (de)intersection(s) there and add/substract it into your map afterwards.

13. (optional) Delete all test rooms and test brushes before releasing your map (if you want to keep your brushes for later lulz, keep a copy of your map with them for yourself).

14. (optional) Add music and ambient sounds into your map if it's not a very silent map (like underwater or something) to keep it interesting.

15. (optional, recommended) Add eye candy. Small semi-solids, Decorations, Emitters, etc. However, do not add too much or it'll generate bad bsp/big file (except if you have a leet upload speed of over 9000 Mbps and a magic wand - no homo).

16. USE 227'S FEATURES GOD DAMNIT! These guys are working hard on this stuff and it's not to be left out... If you make a map without 227's features using 227's editor, then YOU FAIL, PERIOD you should make one, lol. (In case you didn't know, 227's features are extremely sexy...Emitters, Distance Fog, Woodruff and everything else. Smiley)

17. (recommended to required) Play through your map at least 100 times after you make the "final" version and get some beta testers, because you don't want to release a broken map. Or you want...whatever.

That'd be all for now, if I remember something else I'll edit this post or make a new one. Smiley Please contribute your tips & tricks as well. Wink

EDIT: Wow, longpost is looooong... Please read everything and add anything I may have left out.

EDIT^2: Lol, this is going into wiki, NAO.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Re: Mapping Tips & Tricks
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 8:06am
Print Post  
18. If it's a surface and if it's flat, it could probably use more decoration.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Pyro
God Member

[E][SGU]

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
19. Don't use Fake Backdrop to Unlit! Use Fake Backdrop to display a skybox, and use Unlit to Unlit.

IP Logged

(T:S:B)Legionnaire
Betatester

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 3:09am
Print Post  
20. Don't let sheets and semi-solids colide
21. Don't let semi-solids collide with other semi-solids
22. ALWAYS make sheets non-solid
23. If a certain brush is giving u bsp problems, turn it into a mover. this is always an alternative that usually works pretty well
24. If u have a bsp somewhere, extract a cube THROUGH the bsp hole (eg. dimension 2x2x1024) which then leads to another huge cube (like 1024x1024x1024), this might also fix a bsp
25. If u want to avoid bsps, in the rebuild option, always select Optimal. slider usually gives best results in between 5 and 15.
26. If u have any actors (decoration, pickup, etc) which is moving with a brush, make sure that bStatic is False in the advanced options, otherwise the map will crash online

about:blank

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 10:48am
Print Post  
(T:S:B)Legionnaire wrote on Sep 5th, 2009 at 3:09am:

Since sheets are always non-solid, this is totally useless...

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 10:52am
Print Post  

Always make non-zoneportal sheets Semisolid.

27. Make every custom stuff and texture in MyLevel.

IP Logged

[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
Oldunreal MasterPoster

「エレクトロマスター」

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Age wrote on Sep 5th, 2009 at 10:52am:

Well not every... If you have a map pack that has similar textures or an actor used in all maps, put it into a separate package. However if you have something like a texture with some text on it (i.e. a sign), put it into MyLevel.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Ex Member

nedm

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 4:32am
Print Post  
translation : shit is situational

IP Logged

Pcube
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Well, to minimize BSP errors, I suggest turning the slider to "minimize cuts. The reason for this is fewer cuts mean that it's less likely for any given cut to cause an error, whereas if you choose an option closer to balance tree, more cuts will be unnecessarily made to balance the binary tree of collisions. There's a reason for this, but that reason is no longer valid on today's machines. I'd leave it at the current setting and lower the slider towards minimize cuts if things start getting ugly.

IP Logged

[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
Oldunreal MasterPoster

「エレクトロマスター」

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Well, to minimize BSP errors, I suggest turning the slider to "minimize cuts. The reason for this is fewer cuts mean that it's less likely for any given cut to cause an error, whereas if you choose an option closer to balance tree, more cuts will be unnecessarily made to balance the binary tree of collisions. There's a reason for this, but that reason is no longer valid on today's machines. I'd leave it at the current setting and lower the slider towards minimize cuts if things start getting ugly.

Yeah, I never used "balance tree" but I noticed that more I move the slider to there, more sh*t starts happening so I leave it low.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:53am
Print Post  
I noticed that if you build properly, it's never useful to touch the sliders Tongue

IP Logged

KillerSkaarj
God Member

Self-proclaimed Thread
Ninja™

Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 12:41am
Print Post  
According to Dots, it's actually possible to light a map the size of the grid without using zonelights with the DistanceLightActor (yes, he told me about it in my thread and yes, I used it Cheesy)

This post is sponsored by the Modify Button.

IP Logged

Moke

Oldunreal member

Reply #12 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 9:29am
Print Post  
These Tips are pretty useful thanks for them.

IP Logged

creavion

Waiting for the final
release (Bankai)!

Reply #13 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Age wrote on Sep 5th, 2009 at 10:52am:

Always make non-zoneportal sheets Semisolid.

True, if I look in maps like Aztec I wonder about the many sheets on the lake there, you know with those uhm how are they called? .. lilypads or so?
However if I make those thingies in my maps non-solid, I get evil bsp errors mostly already after a short time. BSP Holes or even not working zoneportals.
In thise case I have to convert the non-solid deco brush to a semi or a solid one, whatever fits more considering the geometry stabilization.
I would say epic did not used the Editor rebuilder for rebuilding, instead I could imagine they used something different, maybe an extern bsp-compiler or so.

To the myLevel thing: Well, a question from me now, but isn`t it true, that UnrealEd 1 (Unreal) does not know MyLevel (ok unless you apply the newest oldunreal patch).

UT99.org Community Mappack 2:&&http://www.ut99.org/utr/infopage.html

IP Logged

[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
Oldunreal MasterPoster

「エレクトロマスター」

Reply #14 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 11:14am
Print Post  
creavion wrote on Nov 3rd, 2009 at 9:14am:
To the myLevel thing: Well, a question from me now, but isn`t it true, that UnrealEd 1 (Unreal) does not know MyLevel (ok unless you apply the newest oldunreal patch).

Maybe, I used to get "Cannot find file for package MyLevel" errors in certain circumstances.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo