Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Upcoming Unreal Alpha and Beta versions release (Read 38867 times)
Shivaxi
The One Who Wanted To Have A Special Title In Forum
Betatester

Loving Pie

Re: Upcoming Unreal Alpha and Beta versions release
Reply #15 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 3:21am
Print Post  
He's going to mail them to me.  And his dad knows Mark Rein personally....so I'm sure it'll be no prob getting permission.  Besides the 10 year contract expired...so I think we already have permission Tongue

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Ex Member

nedm

Reply #16 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 6:50am
Print Post  
Really huh? their dad knows mark rein personally. Well theres a few matters{mostly minor} we could use assistance on.. i'd like to speak to this person. Drop me {and or} smirf a PM, and we can grant confidentiality as well.

Granted, rein actually has already responded {albeit it was more like "Go over there, not to me"}

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #17 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Gizzy wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 8:07pm:
What's the problem with the installers? And what do you mean "Making sure none of the betas are free games"?

The problem is that all Betas are actually standalone, that is, you install them, and you can immediately play them. That wouldn't be very well received by Epic and DE, because that's like a free game (and talking about Unreal II, that would be even more than a free game). So what we need is to create something like a patch, that is, it must ask you for your current installation to check if you really own the product before letting you install.

Leo T_C_K wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 1:40am:
Don't be so excited...it is not possible if DE will give out permission, etc. If they find it out it is all gonna be released without their knowledge, they are going to sue asses of all people here and the thing will be officially busted.

I've already posted that we'll get all the permission we can. The contract will be published, as well as the confirmation we'll receive from DE/Epic. If that's not enough, then nothing is enough.

IP Logged

Gizzy
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 8:30am
Print Post  
GreatEmerald wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 8:12am:
The problem is that all Betas are actually standalone, that is, you install them, and you can immediately play them. That wouldn't be very well received by Epic and DE, because that's like a free game (and talking about Unreal II, that would be even more than a free game). So what we need is to create something like a patch, that is, it must ask you for your current installation to check if you really own the product before letting you install.

How about a check that looks for the Unreal CD in the drive?
Or, let the person install the beta, but do not allow them to run it unless the Unreal CD is present in the drive.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #19 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 9:33am
Print Post  
No no, not possible. Remember that there are many versions of Unreal, like Unreal Anthology, Totally Unreal, UnrealGold that all have different directory structure (with Unreal Anthology, there are actually no directories at all). So we have to check for an installation. But, of course, it would be better if it installed the beta into something like C:\Unreal\Betas\*insertVersionHere*\System instead of completely destroying your current Unreal install...

IP Logged

Krokus

Woof Woof

Reply #20 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 9:56am
Print Post  
I like the idea of the installer.
This is some awesome news! Smiley

IP Logged

Leo T_C_K
Betatester

Reply #21 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Well, I still think it is a totally bad idea to send floppy disks over the mail and especially to Shivaxi, I doubt the drive can handle such old floppies, besides there is a high chance they get damaged.....If there is no copy of them this would be a high risc, but of course Shiv doesn't want to drop that offer, sigh....

I say absolutelly no to that.

This is all handled wrongly and as for the CD checks, it sounds crappy at best, I don't want to use installer, rather put in some other check which does not interfere with the betas.

Oh and btw Shiv, you were supposed to upload that Mac unreal additional music, but you didn't do it yet, I am still waiting on that.

People who accuse others of trolling are usually the biggest trolls themselves.
YouTube  
IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #22 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Leo T_C_K wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 12:08pm:
This is all handled wrongly and as for the CD checks, it sounds crappy at best, I don't want to use installer, rather put in some other check which does not interfere with the betas.

Gah, what's with misunderstanding Tongue They will not, never have CD checks, but will have install checks, just like 227 has now!

IP Logged

Gizzy
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Well, I still think it is a totally bad idea to send floppy disks over the mail and especially to Shivaxi, I doubt the drive can handle such old floppies, besides there is a high chance they get damaged.

Leo, the person that has these floppy discs, doesn't have a floppy drive. Personally, I would be willing to risk sending them by mail to a trustworthy person who can extract them, rather than letting the first ever prototype of Unreal lay in a box, never to be seen by the public. Ever.

IP Logged

Shivaxi
The One Who Wanted To Have A Special Title In Forum
Betatester

Loving Pie

Reply #24 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Gizzy wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 1:49pm:
Well, I still think it is a totally bad idea to send floppy disks over the mail and especially to Shivaxi, I doubt the drive can handle such old floppies, besides there is a high chance they get damaged.

Leo, the person that has these floppy discs, doesn't have a floppy drive. Personally, I would be willing to risk sending them by mail to a trustworthy person who can extract them, rather than letting the first ever prototype of Unreal lay in a box, never to be seen by the public. Ever.

Thank you Gizzy...didn't know Leo felt so...wrong about me.  What exactly DO you mean by "especially to Shivaxi" anyway?  You know nothing about me, and there's only one thing you can do when you have absolutely no idea...keep you mouth shut...you'll only cause trouble.

As for the Mac music in Unreal...I already discussed that they are all in the beta Unreal which is available on Hyper's site.

IP Logged

Leo T_C_K
Betatester

Reply #25 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
But even install check like 227 is kinda wrong, it should be separate but having some heck switch, I don't like the installer idea, or that when it checks for the password it should do some additional check, that way, but not installers and that is, if they give out permission, otherwise you are busted.

Look Shiv, I said especially to you, because I doubt you have a quality floppy disk drive and others doubt it as well, plus the floppy disc is full of bad sector probably by now. Plus you often do a certain mistakes around, no offense and you still keep on your views even if proven wrong and how many times I had to correct you, remember that. And he could obtain that drive or extract the files from other computer, why sending them at mail? Where do you live exactly? You live in Canada? If not, it is even more crazy dammit. I should keep my mouths shut? No boy, you should and because of the barely legal actions you are taking and distribution of copyrighted things, DE is not happy at all about this and they said nobody has right to release these things without their knowledge, I already contacted them with someone.

As for the music, yeah but they have different file sizes and are more complete, you should upload those files, they are not the same exactly. And most importantly the UMX will work without need to extract them first...

YouTube  
IP Logged

KillerSkaarj
God Member

Self-proclaimed Thread
Ninja™

Reply #26 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Holy crud, there's been a f*ckload of new Unreal events going on this year. Patch 227f, Unreal PSX levels, Turboman extracted and released the old Automag mesh, and now Unreal ALPHA!?

And I have GOT to download that Unreal II Beta. I can't wait!!

2009 is the International Year of Astronomy, but now I declare it also the International Year of Unreal!

This post is sponsored by the Modify Button.

IP Logged

Gizzy
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Leo T_C_K wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:11pm:
But even install check like 227 is kinda wrong, it should be separate but having some heck switch, I don't like the installer idea, or that when it checks for the password it should do some additional check, that way, but not installers and that is, if they give out permission, otherwise you are busted.

Why is the Installation check wrong for 227? As long as it checks for an installed version to prevent piracy, I don't see what is wrong.

Look Shiv, I said especially to you, because I doubt you have a quality floppy disk drive and others doubt it as well, plus the floppy disc is full of bad sector probably by now. And he could obtain that drive or extract the files from other computer, why sending them at mail?

I'd like to know exactly why you doubt SHivaxi's floppy drive, and I would like to know who else doubts him too. You have no reason to doubt it (Unless it cost about £2 from a corner hardware shop) Since this person is releasing them, we can assume they have used the floppys in the past and if they didn't work, the person would have told us already. The person is also sending them becuase he does not have a floppy drive of his own.

Where do you live exactly? You live in Canada? If not, it is even more crazy dammit.

The hell?

I should keep my mouths shut? No boy, you should and because of the barely legal actions you are taking and distribution of copyrighted things, DE is not happy at all about this and they said nobody has right to release these things without their knowledge, I already contacted them with someone.

Leo, don't start throwing abuse around, it doesn't solve anything. It is fully legal to release these betas since the license on Unreal expired last year. The only non-legal thing would be to distribute them to people who do not own the full game themselves, that's why an installer must be created that checks for an installation of Unreal first. Could you also provide some proof (Screnshots, E-Mail) of you contacting Digital Extremes? It's not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to know what they think. As soon as the distribution becomes 100% legal, there wil be nothing that DE or anyone can do to Oldunreal, regardless of how they feel about the matter.

Back on topic, I hope that we don't have to wait until 2010 for these, I will probably have died of anticipation by then. He moves to his new house on the 4th of just (Next Saturday?), so I will ask him about a week after that. (Give him some time to settle in and such)

IP Logged

Leo T_C_K
Betatester

Reply #28 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
It is crazy to send such sensitive media over a long travels through mail.....
This is the response:

Quote:
This is news to me. He actually doesn't have any rights to release betas or
any other kind of work from any of our software without our written
permission. We own it outright in perpetuity as stated in all of our
employment and outsourcing contracts.

YouTube  
IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #29 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Leo, if you have any other thoughts about how to make it protected from piracy, please tell us and we'll consider them. If not, well, there's no use talking about that. And please don't start flame wars in this thread!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo