Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Unreal II to receive network support and more! (Read 32153 times)
GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Unreal II to receive network support and more!
Jun 24th, 2009 at 9:44am
Print Post  
This just in! Unreal II will eventually get a lot of missing features back into the game, thanks to the release of its Beta versions!

First of all, there will be full Network Support in Unreal II, for both SP and MP. This will be achieved by patching the game from 2002 (last official patch) back to Release Candidate 9 or by simply copying the relevant two .dll files to the current Unreal II installation (probably IpDrv.dll and UWeb.dll) and probably several UI scripts for the graphical interface.

Then it will have full bot support back - that is, finished Team Deathmatch, Deathmatch, Capture the Flag gametypes with intelligent bots, and probably even the finished previously Conceptual U2αXMP. Even more - there is an unfinished Tournament ladder, which takes the players into time travels, up to the 7 Day Siege of Earth. This also includes 3 brand new cutscenes, explaining the link between Unreal, UT2003 and UT2004. It even mentions certain facts about UT3, such as Twin Souls.

Moreover, due to the recovery of the lost levels that featured them, the missing weapons - Mind Claw, Skaarj Razik and probably Tractor Beam - will be reintroduced.

Talking about technology, it will have its MP3 support back in as well as 64bit application support (however, the code is identical to that of UT2004, so not much use). Older Beta versions also use the standard .PSK meshes, so they will be a lot more easily ported to UT2004.

Shortly put, all or almost all the cut content from Unreal II will be back in place, as written in these pages:
http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Cut_content_of_Unreal_II
http://unreal2.xsa1.com/about_2.html

So, when will it be released? Due to Legend's bankruptcy and only 5 year copyright license, betas can be published even now; however, due to technical limitations, they will be delayed. It shouldn't take that long, though, but don't expect it sooner than July. But prepare to have a huge download - the full installed Unreal II RC9 is around 8GB - just like UT3!

There might be three questions left: 1. Why did Legend take out all of that brilliant content from Unreal II? Well, nobody knows. Probably so the game would fit on a CD, because DVD weren't much of an option those days. Or maybe so Digital Extremes could get more money from selling UT2003.

2. Is this true? Yes, although hard to believe, this whole thing is 100% true! You can listen to Unreal2.ogg from Unreal II soundtrack wile you wait for the release Smiley

3. Who has the betas? Well, if I published the name, that person would be attacked by "I want the beta sooner!" messages. If you are 100% sure you won't write messages like that (they will be ignored anyways, I said there are technical difficulties Tongue ), I could post the name.

IP Logged

Spazzpez

Nobody is perfect.

Re: Unreal II to receive network support and more!
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
All I have to say to that is.. *GASP!!!!!!!!!*!!!!!*!!!!*  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
THIS is what i'm really looking forward to see. Unreal 2 had TONS of extra content deleted, unused, maps never included and parts never released. I'd be glad to see if there's something better than the game on some developer's harddrive !

As for the multiplayer part, COOP was never included because of Unreal 2's heavily scripted gameplay (the kind of scripts that can only perform very poorly online), and the DM/traditionnal MP part was not included because Epic didn't wanted it to conflict with UT2003 (on which they were working on their side). Too bad, since u2xmp would surely have drawn a lot of people to buy U2 and would be a lot more played right now Sad

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Hellkeeper wrote on Jun 24th, 2009 at 4:27pm:
As for the multiplayer part, COOP was never included because of Unreal 2's heavily scripted gameplay (the kind of scripts that can only perform very poorly online)

That was their official position... But they also said they won't add 64bit support, but they did. So I guess they also made good script replication, and just skipped the flyby sequences which were hard to replicate.

EDIT: Also got the news from the source that Legend made multiple cutscenes for each event, so probably some are especially made to be easily replicated online, while others have more effects and are more complex.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2009 at 6:15pm by GreatEmerald »  
IP Logged

Leo T_C_K
Betatester

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 1:43am
Print Post  
Coop in XBox version worked and I have seen even videos, but Xbox levels were modified etc...and there was also not that lot of talking at atlantis etc.

People who accuse others of trolling are usually the biggest trolls themselves.
YouTube  
IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Well, there isn't much talking on Atlantis now as well, that is, most of it is optional now. The only required thing is to hear the briefing, and from then on you can go directly to PeaceKeeper and fly out.

IP Logged

Krokus

Woof Woof

Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Unreal II installed and waiting for the beta stuff. Smiley

IP Logged

KillerSkaarj
God Member

Self-proclaimed Thread
Ninja™

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Waitaminnut, SERIOUSLY!? Oh my God, it's STALKER all over again*!

I've ALWAYS WANTED to play that underwater level and now I CAN!! AND THE SKAARJ RAZIK IS COMING BACK!

I have absolutely no words to describe my joy right now!!

*STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl is also a game that had a lot of content that was cut out. Sometime after its release, a mod was released that restored almost all of the cut content back into the game. The mod was called Oblivion Lost, after S:SOC's old name STALKER: Oblivion Lost.

This post is sponsored by the Modify Button.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
A little more interesting info: it seems that RC9 also has this weapon:
http://unreal2.xsa1.com/images-dynamic/SepShot05.html
http://unreal2.xsa1.com/images-dynamic/cover1.html (the merc to the left)
You can also see it in Unreal II splash screens. It's basically like a Minigun from UT; the name is unknown yet.
Furthermore, in the screenshot above, you can see bloom. It's really rendered; however, it's not really optimised and lags a lot.

Also, there are 3 U2aXMP maps in RC9: 1 final and 2 unfinished.

IP Logged

Leo T_C_K
Betatester

Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 12:02am
Print Post  
I always thought that was just an old shotgun actually and not a new weapon.

People who accuse others of trolling are usually the biggest trolls themselves.
YouTube  
IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Ex Member

nedm

Reply #10 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 4:36am
Print Post  
can I volunteer to help set up replication so coop works?

once we settle on a "real" client, beta or retail + beta .dlls, at least.

edit: this should be more towards a patch since it will be net-incompatible with the rest of the versions without a doubt.

edit2 : might want to package that with the beta once it gets released, but it depends on how we want to do things.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #11 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 7:17am
Print Post  
I believe that people should simply use RC9 which is the most complete Unreal II, the only flaws being the unfinished Tournament ladder. I believe replication there should work normally.

Though I have to say that I'm a little worried about the master server. Obviously the old master server won't work, and we'll need a replacement... I'm not an expert about MSs, so what do we need to actually create one?

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Ex Member

nedm

Reply #12 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
if all else fails, we can piggyback on u1/ut master servers by changing "GameName=", and if its not that simple, I could make a UDP/TCP link and a mod to work with it

I have doubts the replication is good enough to work online, really serious doubts. First, look at RTNP. Then, look at interpolation points.
iirc they're just cutscenes in U2, and who knows what things will be broken online, sure its a RC, but that doesn't mean it's good enough, but we shall find out, less work for me means an easier job if anything is even broken :p

Simple things such as weapon effects might be missing, like in upak, which are amazingly simple fixes. I can fix them but I sure can't really find them since I only played unreal 2 a few times, and I doubt these can be fixed with mutators.

Besides, if I get to toy with replication, I could implement a very powerful mutator system while i'm at it, and people could mod it much better.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #13 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
The source said it worked, so I think it should work normally. Especially if they cared enough to actually make 3 versions of each cutscene, just so they would work online.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Ex Member

nedm

Reply #14 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
wait what? 3 versions? Why wasnt this shipped with unreal 2? are they crazy?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo