Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Enhanced Deathmatch 6 (Read 479 times)
hlk_Bah

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Enhanced Deathmatch 6
Reply #30 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Hey, for edm 7, could you add...oh wait, nvm Roll Eyes

I was so poor growning up, it's a good thing I was a boy, otherwise I'd have nothing to play with!
IP Logged

Masterman

Oldunreal member

Reply #31 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Smartball wrote on Jun 30th, 2009 at 5:43pm:
Masterman wrote on Jun 30th, 2009 at 1:57pm:
Just want to say thanks again Smartball.  So far, EDM6 has been flawless and our 227 clients really appreciate it Wink

Wonderful Smiley I'm really happy to hear that. Hopefully an EDM7 will never be required..lol

Well, thankfully you left it open source, so now pretty much anyone can contribute to improvements.  But honestly, with the game as dead as it is, it may as well be the last attempt at getting people back playing...

IP Logged

Smartball
Global Moderator

Reply #32 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Masterman wrote on Jul 1st, 2009 at 3:12pm:
Well, thankfully you left it open source, so now pretty much anyone can contribute to improvements.  But honestly, with the game as dead as it is, it may as well be the last attempt at getting people back playing...

Just to clarify, EDM6_Client.u is still fully obfuscated. EDM6_Server.u can still be decompiled but there wasn't much to hide there anyway. The only part that is fully open source is EDM6_Base.u. I did it so that people can make their own EDM mutators, or if they want, they can even use the ColorInfo class to implement colored text/smilies in something of their own. I would have done it in earlier versions, but I didn't know of a good way to hide some parts of the mod and show others before working on EDM6.

As you said though, with things dying, the open source portion was definitely too late. At least it's there though if anyone ever feels like tinkering with it Tongue

While I'm at it, just in case no one noticed in the EDM manual, I figured I'd post the link to EDM6_Base's documentation:

http://smartball-unreal.com/EDM/Manual/EDM6/html/annotated.html

It explains the purpose and intended usage of all the functions and variables in EDM6_Base's classes.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

IP Logged

Rob-Bot

Reply #33 - Jul 5th, 2009 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Do you still have that enchanted coop gametype anywhere? I know DarkSquirrel had it, and it was on a forum but I forget which one.

IP Logged

Smartball
Global Moderator

Reply #34 - Jul 6th, 2009 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Rob-Bot wrote on Jul 5th, 2009 at 3:58pm:
Do you still have that enchanted coop gametype anywhere? I know DarkSquirrel had it, and it was on a forum but I forget which one.

No I don't. That was for a much older version of EDM (I don't even recall which one actually.) Unfortunately my ability to put in a significant amount of time with this stuff has come to an end. I'm starting my full time job tomorrow which is basically going to become my life  Undecided I can't promise anything like this existing in the future. I also don't know much of anything about coop and what coop players generally like in their game types so I'm sure anything I create wouldn't be up to par with the other coop mods out there.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Ex Member

nedm

Reply #35 - Jul 6th, 2009 at 6:46am
Print Post  
I found DM gametypes to be too constrictive, but then again.. they're SUPPOSED to be. to prevent cheating and allow fair play. In coop it's much more relaxed any really just about anything aside from harassment goes.

That being said, I did like some of the things dm gametypes did. I just cant remember atm since I dont really play DM.

If I were in your situation smartball, i'd be as lost as you for making a gametype in DM Tongue

IP Logged

UKBikenut

Jolt is Unreal

Reply #36 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
I have set up an EDM server on Jolt.
Just slowly getting to grips with it.
Any tips and tricks to get the most out of it would be appreciated  Smiley

Smartball
Global Moderator

Reply #37 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
UKBikenut wrote on Jul 11th, 2009 at 5:02pm:
I have set up an EDM server on Jolt.
Just slowly getting to grips with it.
Any tips and tricks to get the most out of it would be appreciated  Smiley

Yes, admittedly, EDM can be confusing to set up for the first time. Its major difference from other mods is that it splits out a lot of functionality among mutator files instead of all residing in a single file. It can get messy to keep track of but the major benefit is that clients never download anything they don't need. EDM settings also tend to be easier to manually edit in the server's .ini files, which some admins aren't used to.

There aren't really any tricks to it, it's just a matter of knowing where to find the options you want. Most questions are answered in my online manual, but there's been a few times where people have pointed out information that I've failed to put on there, so I'm always available for contact too.

Btw I'm flattered that it's running on Jolt Tongue

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Jul 14th, 2009 at 9:51am
Print Post  
I don't know if this is a bug, but sometimes i see some messages like "True" and "0 1". Especially at game start when game isn't started yet and i click left mouse.
Played on jo.co.uk Enhanged DM [227f].

IP Logged

Smartball
Global Moderator

Reply #39 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Age wrote on Jul 14th, 2009 at 9:51am:
I don't know if this is a bug, but sometimes i see some messages like "True" and "0 1". Especially at game start when game isn't started yet and i click left mouse.
Played on jo.co.uk Enhanged DM [227f].

Heh, it's due to a cheap tactic that I used. Some mutators send information through client messages, which is then properly interpreted by a mutator on the client side. If this data is sent before the mutators have been created on the client (which doesn't happen TOO often, but often enough to notice on occasion) then your regular Unreal client handles the data like any other message and displays it.

Admittedly, it was a really cheap way of doing this, but it works and provides a general mechanism for getting information to the client. So I guess you can argue that it's a "bug" although I was perfectly aware that that could happen when I created it in this way.

IP Logged

UKBikenut

Jolt is Unreal

Reply #40 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
I have noticed this aswell.
Usually at the start of a level when you are waiting .
Some observations.....
When there are bots in the game,at the start of the level they cheat and dont wait for anyone.
Then after the countdown and you spawn they rejoin as normal.
The spawn protection message counts down even though you havent even spawned,then when you spawn you get the message again.
On the supergun game thingumy,the gun is invisible Cheesy
Same with the dual mags and insta gib gun !
Not sure if this is a bug or me missing something...(server package?)
I have tried setting up the server with the mutators as server packages but i get the "file not found" error in the log and the subsequent crash.

Smartball
Global Moderator

Reply #41 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 1:58am
Print Post  
UKBikenut wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 5:15pm:
Some observations.....
When there are bots in the game,at the start of the level they cheat and dont wait for anyone.
Then after the countdown and you spawn they rejoin as normal.
The spawn protection message counts down even though you havent even spawned,then when you spawn you get the message again.

These are definitely small oversights by me. The majority of the mutators provided with EDM were made to satisfy requests by people, including the ready mutator and old features mutators described here. Because of this, the extent of my testing with them is to make sure that they work, and I depend on feedback for any deeper issues. So getting the spawn protection message while waiting is obviously an issue I overlooked when the mutators are used in conjunction, as well as bots spawning before the round begins. I never received feedback regarding these issues before.

UKBikenut wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 5:15pm:
On the supergun game thingumy,the gun is invisible Cheesy
Same with the dual mags and insta gib gun !
Not sure if this is a bug or me missing something...(server package?)
I have tried setting up the server with the mutators as server packages but i get the "file not found" error in the log and the subsequent crash.

Items being invisible is definitely a ServerPackages issues. In the "Included Mutators" part of my manual I list which mutators need to have their packages added to ServerPackages:

http://smartball-unreal.com/EDM/Manual/includedmutators.html

As for why it's crashing, I have no idea. It doesn't make sense that the mutator would spawn on the server, but come up as "not found" in ServerPackages. Are you sure there aren't any typos?

Lastly, I've looked into the mutators issues you posted about and made quick fixes for them:

http://smartball-unreal.com/EDM/downloadEDM.html

I've updated the EDM6 zip file as well as put the mutators up individually for download. My "fixes" are really just workarounds for the issues. The real issue that I see with bots being able to fight before the round begins is that they can hit the frag limit and cause the level to change, so I modified it so that points cannot be gained before the round starts (they can be lost though, so you may see bots with negative scores :p ). I also modified old features to not give the spawn protection message before the round begins. I don't consider my fix for bots in the ready mutator to be a robust fix, but I really have little time to devote to this old game, so I just wanted to provide something that doesn't have the issue.

Oh and also...as for receiving messages like "0 1" and "True" when first connecting, that's never going to change. It's a core part of how EDM functions, and it has no impact on gameplay, so it's gonna stay like that :p

IP Logged

UKBikenut

Jolt is Unreal

Reply #42 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
OK,i managed to get the guns showing.
What i was doing was copying the mutator class down to the letter in your faq i.e.

EDM6_InstaGib.EDMInstaGibMut

However all that was needed was this..

EDM6_InstaGib

However,this now highlights another problem and im not sure if it is how the mod was meant to work or not.
Whatever i put in the server packages the game starts and runs with that/those mutators.
Be it instagib,BFG or revenge etc etc...all together even.
I cannot get the mutator vote system to work,the tab comes up but there are no mutators to choose from in the list(map vote works fine).
I was under the impression that the mutators would be voted for(those in the mutator list in the EDM ini).
But unfortunately whatever mutator is in the server packages gets loaded with no way of turning it or voting it off Sad
Other than that its working good and stable,and if the little foibles could be ironed out would be a very good mod indeed  Smiley
Anyway ..hope the feedback is proving usefull to you but i`ll understand if you don`t want to "bugfix" this old game.

Smartball
Global Moderator

Reply #43 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 2:09am
Print Post  
UKBikenut wrote on Jul 20th, 2009 at 12:56pm:
Whatever i put in the server packages the game starts and runs with that/those mutators.
Be it instagib,BFG or revenge etc etc...all together even.
I cannot get the mutator vote system to work,the tab comes up but there are no mutators to choose from in the list(map vote works fine).
I was under the impression that the mutators would be voted for(those in the mutator list in the EDM ini).
But unfortunately whatever mutator is in the server packages gets loaded with no way of turning it or voting it off Sad
Other than that its working good and stable,and if the little foibles could be ironed out would be a very good mod indeed  Smiley
Anyway ..hope the feedback is proving usefull to you but i`ll understand if you don`t want to "bugfix" this old game.

There's a separate section for mutator voting. This is what I meant by EDM being slightly confusing to configure. I'm assuming the mutator list that you're referring to is the "EstablishedMutators." The reason I call them "Established" is because mutators in that list will always run no matter what. It is very counter intuitive, because, as you pointed out, the mapvote system works just by making the map list voteable, so why isn't the mutator list just voteable? The simple reason is that some admins like to run some mutators all the time, while making others voteable (i.e. an admin may want spawn protection to always be on, but for insta gib or BFG to be voteable).

Inside EnhancedDM.ini, you should see a list of "MutatorVoteEntries" that looks like this:

Quote:
MutatorVoteEntries[0]=(MutatorClass="",MutatorTitle="",MutatorGametype="EDM6_Client.EnhancedDM")
MutatorVoteEntries[1]=(MutatorClass="",MutatorTitle="",MutatorGametype="EDM6_Client.EnhancedDM")

As you can see, each line is broken into three parts: MutatorClass, MutatorTitle, and MutatorGametype. MutatorClass should be set to the actual class of the mutator (i.e. EDM6_InstaGib.EDMInstaGibMut), MutatorTitle should be set to the name that you want to show up for the mutator in the vote menu (i.e. INSTA GIB!), and MutatorGametype is the gametype for the mutator. By default, MutatorGametype is set to EDM's DM gametype. But you can change it to the team gametype which will make teamgames voteable as well. The team gametype is EDM6_Client.EnhancedTDM

Like I said, I know the config takes some learning, but it will allow you to truly customize the server with any mutator configuration you want. Take a look in the ini and lemme know if you sort it out Cheesy

IP Logged

UKBikenut

Jolt is Unreal

Reply #44 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Ahhhh,things are starting to make sense now.
Will report back when ive had a play.  Smiley

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo