Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Enhanced Deathmatch 6 (Read 13992 times)
Smartball
Global Moderator

Enhanced Deathmatch 6
Jun 13th, 2009 at 12:04am
Print Post  
I've had EDM6 running on my 227f server for over a week and it hasn't crashed a single time. Players have occasionally popped in and out, as I have myself, and I haven't seen or heard of any problems with the mod. Because of this, I think it's safe to put it up for download now. Here is the URL to EDM's website where you can download it and read the manual:

http://smartball-unreal.com/EDM/index.html

I'd like to make some things clear, though. The manual was written somewhat with haste, as I don't have much time to devote to this game. The manual includes everything you need to know, but it may be somewhat hazy with regard to upgrading from an EDM5 server. If you're upgrading, here are the important things to keep in mind:

1) EnhancedDM.ini has some settings moved around. Most settings that used to be in [EDM5_Client.EnhancedDM] are now in [EDM6_Server.EDMServer]
2) Anything in your settings that said "EDM5" should just be changed to "EDM6"

If you keep those things in mind, upgrading should not present itself as a huge problem. If you are having trouble getting your old EDM5 settings into EDM6, feel free to email me (or even email me your EDM5 ini file and I'll change it for EDM6).

In addition, please at least read the "Installing EDM6 On Your Server" and "Admin Settings" sections of the manual before giving up. Just about everything is explained in those sections.

Lastly, some of the major structural changes from EDM5 to EDM6 are that package checking has been completely removed, the "end game voting" mutator has been incorporated into EDM itself, and mutator voting has been incorporated into EDM itself.

As far as I know, this mod is fully compatible with clients and servers from 224 through 227f.

If there are any problems, feel free to e-mail me at:

smartball@smartball-unreal.com

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Ex Member

nedm

Re: Enhanced Deathmatch 6
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 5:15am
Print Post  
Package checking was removed? any particular reason? sounds like a strange thing to drop

IP Logged

Smartball
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 6:07am
Print Post  
[]KAOS[]Casey wrote on Jun 13th, 2009 at 5:15am:
Package checking was removed? any particular reason? sounds like a strange thing to drop

It really created more problems than it solved. Custom textures and other packages would set it off, and paranoid admins would think people were cheating when it was really nothing.

Conceptually, package scanning doesn't even fit in with what EDM is supposed to be. I've said in the past that it was never intended to be an anti-cheat, so in retrospect, it never really made sense to add it in the first place.

It does still do some more basic checks like making sure people aren't changing their TimeDilation or denying console replacement, but package scanning is out all together. The majority of admins had it set to allow unknown packages anyway due to the multitude of custom packages out there that stay loaded on the client, so I don't really see what the point of having it in the mod was.

In all honesty, changing the console blocks a good chunk of cheats and any cheats that would work without requiring a custom console probably weren't getting detected by EDM5 anyway.

IP Logged

NaliSlayer

Oldunreal member

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 7:08am
Print Post  
finaly,the only thing i need now is to find a server with EDM6 Smiley

IP Logged

hlk_Bah

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Okay, got it up and running!!  I have one issue though.  Every time I vote for a map/mutator and the map changes, I have to re-login as admin.  Is there a setting I am missing?

I was so poor growning up, it's a good thing I was a boy, otherwise I'd have nothing to play with!
IP Logged

Smartball
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
hlk_Bah wrote on Jun 13th, 2009 at 6:46pm:
Okay, got it up and running!!  I have one issue though.  Every time I vote for a map/mutator and the map changes, I have to re-login as admin.  Is there a setting I am missing?

That's actually a client option. If you look in the client options tab, there's a "Don't Save Admin Password" option which is enabled by default. Good thing you mentioned this, because this was something I forgot to mention in my original post.

In addition to server settings, all client settings from EDM5 are unfortunately not applied to EDM6 servers (it's a side effect of me changing the file names from 'EDM5' to 'EDM6'). However, they should be simple to set up again right from the Client Options tab in the console Smiley

IP Logged

hlk_Bah

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Ahh ok, thx for the reply!

I was so poor growning up, it's a good thing I was a boy, otherwise I'd have nothing to play with!
IP Logged

hlk_Bah

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
I can't seem to get the "changesetting gamepassword" cmd to work.  I type the cmd, and it says it has been changed, but it doesn't change, not after a mapswitch even.  I even tried to enter it manually in the .ini (after the server was shut down of course), and it still didn't take. I also made sure I didn't have any screwy serverpackages, b/c I know that the last time I had something go ape poo that that was the problem.  Any ideas?

IP Logged

Smartball
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Ah, you are correct! This problem also happens with AdminPassword. The reason is because EDM redefines "GamePassword" and "AdminPassword." This also most likely explains why editing your ini didn't work - in EnhancedDM.ini, there are two "GamePassword" and "AdminPassword" entries. One is under [Engine.GameInfo] and the other is under [EDM6_Server.EDMServer]. The one that is under [EDM6_Server.EDMServer] is the one you should be configuring. Unfortunately Unreal saves the other entry to the ini file so I can't remove it to reduce the confusion.

The good thing is that this is purely a server side problem so I can compile a new EDM6_Server.u with the issue fixed, put it up for download, and no one will get mismatches or anything like that (I did something similar when a glitch in EDM5 was reported early).

IP Logged

Smartball
Global Moderator

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
I've updated the downloads on the EDM page:

http://smartball-unreal.com/EDM/downloadEDM.html

The new EDM6_Server.u is in the zip file, but I also have the EDM6_Server.u file available for standalone download so that you don't have to bother with the entire archive again. So if you just want to fix the changesetting glitch, download the EDM6_Server.u file from there and replace the one on your server with it.

Thanks for reporting this!

IP Logged

hlk_Bah

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
NP, thanks for the fix!

IP Logged

hlk_Bah

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Doh, the glitch is still there.

IP Logged

hlk_Bah

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Oh, I wanted to throw this out there too.  If  "bUseEDMInventory" is enabled, maps that contain jumpboots that have more then 3 charges won't work beyond 3 charges, they'll just drain after the last jump like you said.  I guess  that having that enabled somehow disables the charge amount on the jumpboots.  Just thought that maybe you'd want to explain that in your readme file.   Smiley

IP Logged

Smartball
Global Moderator

Reply #13 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
hlk_Bah wrote on Jun 20th, 2009 at 6:23pm:
Doh, the glitch is still there.

Wow..apparently I didn't look deeply enough. After I made this fix I tested with "adminpassword" but not with "GamePassword." Apparently in addition to the settings being set incorrectly, the gamepassword is not checked correctly. Wonderful, I feel dumb now. I'll get right on it.

I'll also look into the charge not being set (I think this was mentioned in EDM5 but it must have slipped my mind..doh. I'm awfully flaky with my Unreal work, sorry).

IP Logged

Smartball
Global Moderator

Reply #14 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Ok, the gamepassword should be working properly now. I specifically tested it to make sure:

http://smartball-unreal.com/EDM/downloadEDM.html

Also, I'm not sure why your jumpboot charges aren't being preserved. I tested that as well on a map with jumpboots that have > 3 charges, and it seems to work fine. Are you sure the jumpboots on the map you were on is supposed to have more than 3 jumps?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo