Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I made an installer for Linux version of Unreal (Read 14578 times)
Trydi

Oldunreal member

I made an installer for Linux version of Unreal
Apr 29th, 2009 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Hi.

I made simply to use installer for Linux version. Now You don't need Wine to install and download patch. Just put Unreal in cd-rom drive and click next Smiley At this moment installer have 227e patch included (when 227 will have official,stable release - i update installer). What do You think about this idea ? It's not professional project - i build this for fun. Feel free to use (if You see any bug - write on this thread because this is Beta).  It's working on your distro ? Again - it's not professional - i made this for fun and this is my first serious installer. Still is more to do.

p.s : I'm from Poland and i don't now english perfectly. If You see any word in poor "english" in installer  - correct me in this thread.  And if You want to see installer buttons in Your native language - tell  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2009 at 11:37am by Trydi »  

Unofficial Linux Installer for Unreal (227f): http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1241027403/0.&&&&Happy Linux User Smiley

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Re: I made an installer for Linux version of Unreal
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Err, does the installer make sure you have Unreal? If yes, then it can be used as a base for a more professional installer. If not, well, it's not even legal to have an installer that doesn't check if you own Unreal already.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
GreatEmerald is right, it needs to check for the original version, otherwise... but if so, great news Wink

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
Oldunreal MasterPoster

「エレクトロマスター」

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
How do I run that? Huh

IP Logged

Trydi

Oldunreal member

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Sorry but i don't understand. Installer install only files needed to run under Linux (files from patch). If You have Cd with Unreal - just put disk into cd-rom drive. Then installer install this files and copy rest from CD. Most of Linux installers install only linux binaries and rest you must copy from CD (ex. Doom 3, Quake 1,2,3 etc.). Why then my installer is illegal if files from patch 227 are free ? If You don't have Cd with Unreal - You don't play. Installer don't have any illegal files included. If i'm thinking wrong - correct me (maybe i miss something).

Installer base on professional components. Frictional Games uses this same installer for his series of games - Penumbra. My installer is not professional because i'm not working in big company who create games (like Frictional). I'm only fan of Unreal and I made installer like Chunky some years ago (http://icculus.org/~chunky/ut/unreal/) and this is reason why my installer is not professional Smiley    

[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ - installer works. I have proof :

Installer can works in gtk, fltk and ncurses (all library is included in installer). Working fine in Ubuntu 8.04. It's normal shell script. Are You trying to run installer from console ?

Unofficial Linux Installer for Unreal (227f): http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1241027403/0.&&&&Happy Linux User Smiley

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
easy, the installer must take care to install the patchfiles (or make them accessible in any way) only if the CD is present- or (some of) the original files are on HDD already. Then it fulfills all needs and works like the official installer and nobody will run into any trouble.

PS: if this is possible I'd love to use your installer for 227f release maybe?

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Trydi

Oldunreal member

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
If Cd with Unreal isn't in cd-rom drive then installer install only patchfiles (like all installers for native, commercial games for Linux). But without Cd with game - you can't play, because you don't have rest of files like textures, music etc. Summa Summarum - without Cd only native binary (patchfiles) will be installed. It's not a problem because 227 and files included in this patch are legal.

If we have Cd with Unreal in cd-rom drive, then installer install patchfiles (native binaries needed to run game under Linux) and copy rest of files from CD (and only then) like textures, music, sound etc. We can use iso image too (if we have original version of course) - just mount it somewhere - installer ask where you have mounted Cd or mounted iso image, because i'm not sure  /media/cdrom is right path in all distributions. We can mount iso with help of applications like gmountiso or AcetoneISO2.
So - if We don't have CD with game - it's no way to play game because we don't have textures and rest of files. Only files what installer have included is file from patch (someone could check this  - maybe i've missed something ?). Only way to play is buy Cd with game (if someone don't have).

If we have Windows version installed already (with help of Wine), installer is simple way to install only patch and make native version  Smiley Two function in one installer  Wink

Of course color of installer depends on theme used in system. It's integrate with them (like most of Linux apps). 

p.s : Smirftsch - no problem.

IP Logged

KillerSkaarj
God Member

Self-proclaimed Thread
Ninja™

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
I really like how that installer looks. Do you think you're capable of making one like that for Windows?

This post is sponsored by the Modify Button.

IP Logged

Trydi

Oldunreal member

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
I am afraid not - i don't now how to build installer for Windows and what components i may use. Primary target of components i used to build installer is to run but on unix-like systems (like Linux, OpenSolaris, *BSD etc.). Basically you could build new installer for Unreal similar to my, but question is - what for (standard installer works fine, but he looks what he looks).  I don't have experience with software to build installer for Windows (and i don't have Windows). You must ask someone on forum, who knows something about this. I'm really sorry, but i cannot help You  Sad

p.s : Second breath on Unreal - new installer, game with S3TC instead normal and 227 patch. Shame we cannot do this compilation legally on mass scale (this compilation was be legally only for homework use - if we have original version).

IP Logged

Marzanna

Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 5:33am
Print Post  
I can't download this installer, link doesn't work.
But I have one question. Is it possible to install patch without GUI?

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 5:50am
Print Post  
Trydi, of course you are right- in theory.
But for me its a question which is more problematic than for anyone else, because I'm bound additionally to contract which forbids many things.
Anyway, I'm no lawyer so I can't risk anything here- and I only can advice anyone to do the same. If this installer works like the original one does and only then, its completely safe from any legal issue. That's reason, its not about logic, its about law.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Trydi

Oldunreal member

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 8:45am
Print Post  
OK - i'm upload setup to my dropbox. I don't like this free host service like filefront or other (yesterday my upload on filefront work...today not). Now everything should be OK.

I understand you Smirftsch. If you want to see what files installer have included - simply use him. It's not a secret  Smiley I think installer don't have included any illegal files (only .so files and some images). All (OK - most of them) installer for linux games (commercial games) without Cd in drive install only native binaries (like my installer) and are legal. It's Beta and i can add some files to installer or delete from him.

Skaarj[ZR] - no it's not possible to install patch without GUI. I think only way to do this is create tar.gz with this file and put him in downloads on this site.

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2009 at 7:27pm by Trydi »  

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Still, is it possible to change the installer so that it only installs / or extract the files if a CD is there?
Its no question how other games are doing it or if these are legal or not, I just want it as close as possible to the original installer to prevent trouble.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
Oldunreal MasterPoster

「エレクトロマスター」

Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Trydi wrote on Apr 29th, 2009 at 9:23pm:
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ - installer works. I have proof :

I didn't doubt it. Wink But I can't run it without a terminal, and with a terminal, it does nothing. Sad Guess my version of Linux doesn't support something. When I even tried to run WinRAR, everything I got were just tons of "shared library <something> not found". Huh

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
You see, if you have only the patch files, you can still use things like UT Package Tool to extract contents that are property of Epic, not OldUnreal (such as files like UnrealI.u - the package had to be updated, but 99% of the content in it is a property of Epic Games!).
Another issue is that there will also be an installer for Unreal Gold. If it doesn't check for a CD, a person might install the 227 patch for Gold on a Non-Gold Unreal and get a free expansion pack - and that is obviously illegal.

And finally, checking CDs isn't the best way to do it too. There are CDs like TotallyUnreal and DVDs like Unreal Anthology - you can install Unreal from them, but your installer probably won't detect them and thus decide that you shouldn't install it. So it should also be possible to install over an already installed game - you can make sure the game is real by checking the directory structure and files inside.

However, Unreal Anthology needs a separate installer anyway, because if you can't install it from Linux, you need to have Wine to install it first, and then use an installer like this for the patch. It would be cool if a separate installer for Anthology was created, so there wouldn't be a need for Wine for Anthology users. Here's a manual way of installing UT2004 and other games to Linux without Wine:
http://www.liflg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=810

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo