Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Garbage collection (Read 1257 times)
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
Oldunreal MasterPoster

「エレクトロマスター」

Garbage collection
Oct 9th, 2008 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Just to test it, I've clicked "(Re)Build All" button about 10 times and the editor started lagging a bit. Same with the save button. It's not really a problem but could possibly be with larger maps (I never tried to rebuild SunSpire or Bluff or any default map actually). Maybe it needs more garbage collection although idk where could it be put. And BTW I hate all those if <something> != <something> {<something> = null;} statements. I get lost in it. Cheesy

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Re: Garbage collection
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Speaking about that... How does the reachspec calculation work? Like, when rebuilding after even a slight change in paths, it makes a lot more reachspecs, but seems to skip those which are non-operational... Like, if you had 800 in the beginning, you might even have 8000 in the end Shocked But the 7000 will be skipped in parts... Didn't actually check if that happens when you restart UEd. In UT2004 there was simply no reachspec listing, so no huge numbers seen, although I guess they are huge there as well...

IP Logged

[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
Oldunreal MasterPoster

「エレクトロマスター」

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Ya wtf are those reachspecs... It goes around 2500 on my map (currently the map's filesize is about 150 Kb).

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
I certify their is reachspecs calculation in UT2004.

It seems to have something to do with the draw orders of the geometry, since any mesh/brush you add will result in more and more reachspec at the next rebuild.

However.

Their is an easy way to keep reachspecs low and get them WAY down when they get to high. Just select every pathnode, lift exit, lift center, weapons, ammo, jumpsots, in fact ANY item or actor that is recognised as a node, then RMB=>Order=To last. Then, rebuild. Usually, I do this after having completed a map and I cans ee a drop of about 700 reachspecs for medium-sized map (unless I made the pathing very early. The drop is even bigger.).

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo