Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) [RECRUITMENT] Alien Breed 3D - Remake Project (Read 15114 times)
Delacroix
Betatester

Lord of the Dark Glyphs

[RECRUITMENT] Alien Breed 3D - Remake Project
Sep 11th, 2008 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
<this post was updated with the latest info>

I just came up with an idea of an SP project for Unreal. This would be a total conversion of the classic Amiga FPS: Alien Breed 3D, along with its sequel, The Killing Grounds.

The target platform would be Unreal 227. Remake should cover everything, most notable features would be:

- all monsters and weapons,
- all levels
- all textures (must be S3TC!)
- the HUD

The Unreal Gold desktop background would be replaced two selectable wallpapers, one from AB3D full version, the latter from AB3D II demo. The entry level would feature the colony from Tower Assault as a flyby.

Now, one thing (apart from moving everything into perfect 3D instead of sprites or such) would definitely be changed: instead of texts at the beginning of each level, one would see an overhead view of the map just finished and hear Reynolds speaking, just like 849 in Return to Na Pali.

The main question is: does anyone here wish to participate in such a project? My main skill is good and efficient style of organisation and leadership - but I need a team to lead.

Now, what do I need:

- 3D artist / modeller
- 2D artist / texture artist
- coder
- sound engineer (well, someone who would ensure the quality of voice acting is proper)
- voice actor (preferably a black person - we never gain certainity what was Reynolds' skin color, but I consider black skinned marines especially stylish, vide Apone, so even if Reynolds was white, we would change that for the remake's purpose)
- mapper
- german2english translator

Did I miss anything? Guess not. Well, the more, the merrier, so multiple persons on any of the vacancies are strongly welcome Smiley

The AB3D series that the remake is going to base on includes:

1. The AB3D demo. It is a prologue level to the full game.
2. The AB3D full game.
3. The AB3DII demo. The level would have to receive an ending as it doesn't have one.
4. The AB3DII full version.
5. The AB3DII add-ons, they include:
- The "Duke Nukem Level" (has no connection to Duke whatsoever, pure AB3D). I have this on an oldie amiga disc, doesn't float on Aminet, will have to go get it if we're supposed to do it.
- The "Killing Bricks" level
- The "Budgy Breed" level
- The "Xenium Core" expansion (16 complete levels)
- Some German 7-level expansion
- Jason Frecknall's 4-level expansion

That would be one of the wallpapers:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/alien-breed-3d/screenshots/gameShotId,69685/

One thing would have to be added: MULTIPLAYER! There was only coop in AB3D2 as far as I remember and no real MP. Some AB3D-themed DM maps are a necessity as well as full coop support.

Now, as I have no real skills in UnrealEd, I can concentrate on what I do best: organisation. And I WILL BE ABLE to keep this project running but I need PEOPLE to do it! Do you want this project to succeed? It's the very 0%/vanilla start moment of it! Are you ready? ARE YOU READY? Then report, soldiers!

Due to the REMAKE nature of the project... yes, the creativity of people is limited - but not closed down.

Remember Tomb Raider? Compare it to Anniversary. This is the aim of the project being presented: bring AB3D to a decent engine.

Now, new sections of the levels will be welcome, maybe even subquests? I mean: the goal of the level was to blast out a monster, why not add a little gizmo to activate it first? One of the most obvious lacks of AB3D's gameplay was no intex terminals or objectives, the complex itself seems to have no purpose - why not add a thing or two here'n there to make the colony image closer to the original 2D Alien Breed? Creativity IS possible here, but the main "skeleton" of the level must remain fairly untouched.

HUD will definitely be taken from part 2 as well as the weapon models. The Plasma Gun will gain the triple shot as alt-fire, as well as the Lazer, but the altfire for the first one will be added later ingame as an improvement - take note that there was no triple shot in AB3D1!

Now, the grenade and rocket launchers will not require any significant amount of work, as well as the AR. All are in RNP, only the altfire would have to be removed and the model changed. The Blaster is pretty much the automag - only the blaster is a notch slower. The shotgun can start off with quadshot as a base class, only "taken care of". The mine will get out of the weapon selection and hop into inventory. This way, instead of 10 guns in AB3D2, there will be seven in AB3D anniversary:

The AR, grenade and rocket launchers, the plasma gun and the shotgun in the original Osiris III campaign, with laser and blaster added in The Killing Grounds. The mine will be usable as an inventory item.

I am still trying to decide whether to stick with AB3D Demo and TKG music theme Packed Test or use Bjorn Lynne's CD32 AB3D tunes for the Osiris III campaign. I guess that music will have to be created absolutely anew if we're about to scrap Packed Test, because Lynne's work is probably going to be trashed. This decision will however be consulted with the team as it grows.

STATUS REPORT:

Original game redistributable preparation: 99% done.
Resource extraction: 5% done.
Music: 90% done.
Wallpapers: 100% done.

THE TEAM:

Vergil a.k.a. Delacroix - Team Leader, resource extraction, redistributable preparation.
Artifex - UWindows desktop backgrounds.
PRIMEVAL - Music conversion.

Mappers:

Charon - has agreed to make a DM map or two once the classes and resources are fully coded and ready to use.
Justing - has offered his services as a mapper. Will be contacted when the time calls for it.

Some videos of the original games for you to check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2sWpehZwOQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksQG8vnvlpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vstH_dZNqlI

The AB3D redistributable:

http://rapidshare.com/files/147873390/AB3D_Redist.zip.html

Contains the preinstalled games in a fairly easy to use package. Do view the readme before doing anything.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2008 at 2:11am by Delacroix »  

IP Logged

Chaos13
God Member

/dev/cobd0

Re: [RECRUITMENT] Alien Breed 3D - Remake Project
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
More suggested forum for this would be this:
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=UnrealTournament

I would help if i knew what is Alien Breed 3d. Lips Sealed
Wait a coder? <<<

Skydev <Generic> = Chaos13 <Generic/Unreal1/UT99> = Dimension4 <Unreal1/UT99>
IP Logged

Delacroix
Betatester

Lord of the Dark Glyphs

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Ikuto... try mixing Alien VS Predator theme with doom-like monsters and you have AB3D.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
nice idea, was a great game Wink - although its been a while since I played it, hehe Smiley

But why using UT for it ? Sad ...227 offers more and is more optimized...

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Delacroix
Betatester

Lord of the Dark Glyphs

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
If you make 227 support UGold, it could be used instead. This would require less coding as "voice logs" a'la RNP would be easier to create.

The best bet now would have you add gold support NOW for current 227e. This will provide Unreal Gold as a development platform ASAP. Because without 227 UGold is pretty useless. No UEd2, no footstep sounds (at least proper ones)... And RNP coding that fuels the voice log maps is essential for the project. As is the UWindows system with the desktops... as I have said, two will be available.

IP Logged

PRIMEVAL
God Member

Darkness Eternal

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Converting most music formats to UMX usually decreases the quality and converts it to Mono.  If you want decent quality and Stereo music, I could possibly remake it into OGG files, unless I am mistaken that 227 uses OGG?

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
don't see the relation between UGold and this project now but...- 227 can be applied to UGold, no problem, it  only lacks RTNP support then, thats all. And RTNP will be added soon so that the UGold users don't lose that.

And yes, 227 supports OGG.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Delacroix
Betatester

Lord of the Dark Glyphs

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
The relation is:

Gold includes RTNP >>> RTNP includes Voice Log maps >>> Voice Log maps use UPak code.
AB3D Anniversary is going to use Voice Logs instead of text display of the original games >>> requires the same UPak code.

Gold has UWindows >>> UWindows has a desktop wallpaper.
AB3D Anniversary is going to have two such wallpapers, only selectable.

OK, so if the target platform is U227, must be Gold Tongue

OGG - excellent idea.

IP Logged

PRIMEVAL
God Member

Darkness Eternal

Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Delacroix wrote on Sep 11th, 2008 at 10:18pm:
OGG - excellent idea.

Actually, I don't even have to remake it, if I can get ahold of the wav or mp3 files, I can convert them.

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Raven

Yog-Sothoth rulez :)

Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
I'd strongly suggest to code voice log instead of using UPak. This way it would be compatible with both UGold and standard 227 instead UGold only.

WWWGTalkICQ  
IP Logged

Delacroix
Betatester

Lord of the Dark Glyphs

Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
And what about UWindows and the wallpaper question?

EDIT:

http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/6734

The official AB3D soundtrack. Seems larger than the ingame CD audio... strange. Will come in handy. MP3.

http://rapidshare.com/files/144513853/abmusic.zip.html

The PackedTest music (AB3D Demo / AB3D2) and the AlienBreed II title music for flyby/credits. MOD files.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2008 at 5:36am
Print Post  
uwindow- confusion again...uwindow is a base class and existing in both classic and gold - do you mean the ingame gui? 227 supports both classic and ut style Smiley

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Raven

Yog-Sothoth rulez :)

Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2008 at 8:45am
Print Post  
I was looking on sshots and this mod will require really big invention in order to make level design on really good level. And this intermissions between each map should be more interesting then simple voice log. If map count is huge, it'll become boring. Also releasing mod in episodes is a good idea, because it can bring more feedback.

WWWGTalkICQ  
IP Logged

Delacroix
Betatester

Lord of the Dark Glyphs

Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2008 at 9:07am
Print Post  
AB3D - 17 levels (demo included)
AB3DII - 17 levels (demo included)
AB3DII add-ons - ~25 levels
plus some DM maps in the Breed mood.

Judge by yourself.

IP Logged

Chaos13
God Member

/dev/cobd0

Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2008 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Delacroix wrote on Sep 11th, 2008 at 9:53pm:
... No UEd2, no footstep sounds (at least proper ones)... And RNP coding that fuels the voice log maps is essential for the project. As is the UWindows system with the desktops... as I have said, two will be available...

WHAT?
227 uses UEd2
227 has footstep sounds!
I can code voice logs if you want.
Although i prefer something else.

Skydev <Generic> = Chaos13 <Generic/Unreal1/UT99> = Dimension4 <Unreal1/UT99>
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo