Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Just a brief update on the project (Read 113996 times)
-Shadow-

Oldunreal's n00b

Re: Just a brief update on the project
Reply #165 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 3:01am
Print Post  
ah, the nali castle package....... There are in fact a good number of textures that I would love to see in S3TC form, such as some doors and walls. the Starship package is another package that has some interesting textures.

I heard a lot about you being ill lately, and I really hope that you start feeling better soon. I don't know why all of the good people have to be hurt or sick. The mean and bad people seem to live forever.

Nanodesu!

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #166 - May 17th, 2010 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
I decided to split the new releases for Unreal and UT. This thread will stay for Unreal and its releases, but i opened another thread that deals with UT releases. The thread can be found on this link:

http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1274112474/0

I guess if you play UT than sign up to the thread so you will receive notifications through mail. In the new tread i posted some crucial updates that all UT users must download to fix the skating player glitch.

IP Logged

-Shadow-

Oldunreal's n00b

Reply #167 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 7:45am
Print Post  
I think that the newer packages are missing a texture: It's the texture for the metal crates (found in Nyleve and DuskFalls). I remember seeing those crates in S3TC before I updated the textures....

EDIT: this is concerning Unreal only. The textures for the metal crates are present in UT.
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2010 at 10:10pm by -Shadow- »  

Nanodesu!

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #168 - Jun 20th, 2010 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Sorry for the late reply but its not going to well with me.

But i looked at the downloads and you are correct, somehow i added a version from 2007 to the downloads. I dont even know how its possible, since i always overwrite files and never keep old files.

Anyway i added the correct packages to the downloads. The files also contain a bunch of other updates, but theres a catch to it. Since i have been nothing but ill, i lost oversight, and dont recall what i worked on and what has been changed. It means there could be beta textures in the package, and no clue how they will look like. I only know it does contain the updated textures for these panels:

I also noticed i made an Extreme End version, so i might as well release that one too:

Unreal_LowEnd_Mine.zip

Unreal_HighEnd_Mine.zip

Unreal ExtremeEnd Mine

The files for UT will have to wait a bit, since i also still need to work on a bug that apeared in UT.

IP Logged

-Shadow-

Oldunreal's n00b

Reply #169 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 3:52am
Print Post  
thanks for the update DieHard. I hope everything works out for you, being ill is not the best thing in the world. I will let you know if there are any more errors in this package or any of the other packages.

Nanodesu!

IP Logged

iLikeTheUDK

I knew that Netanyahu
would realize that too...

Reply #170 - May 1st, 2011 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
So, even if the textures look like mirror images, you actually make the high-res one all over again?

IP Logged

iLikeTheUDK

I knew that Netanyahu
would realize that too...

Reply #171 - May 1st, 2011 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
By "mirror images" I mean identical in an almost perfect way.

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #172 - May 1st, 2011 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
In the first two years i recycled the S3TC textures that came with UT. Later i discovered that most textures simply are made from real world photos. And after that i started working from scratch.

And you simply cannot use the norrmal textures for S3TC, because the only thing you could do is bloat them up and sharpen them. But that wont add any detail.

So nowadays i take photos in real life from materials i need(grass, soil, wood, concrete, rocks, stones, etc.) I transfer them to my computer and than i create them in the size 4096 x 4096 pixels. The photos i take are 3338 x 2592 pixels, so i have to use the cloning tool(Photoshop) to "paint" the missing parts. Than i use the same cloning technique to make the photos tilable. Which than results in a tilable base texture in the size 4096 x 4096.

Than several bases are being used to compose a texture. And textures can have simply on base texture, up to 6 base textures compiled into on texture. I never payed attention to it, but it rarelly happens that more than 4 base textures are being used.

And if i can make a certain texure? That simply depends if i am able to find all base textures in real life(and take photos of them). Or, i am able to merge several photos into a new never seen base texture.

But yeah, every texture is made from complete scratch nowadays. And anyone that wants to make textures should get a digital camera and start taking photos from any surface(take the shot straight on and never use flashlight!) you can find. Right now i have over 18000 Photos to pick my bases from, and the collection keeps growing almost every week.

At the same time i enlarge the original texture to the size 4096 x 4096 to serve as example. It often takes days or weeks to exam details to find out what they are and how they are supposed to look like. Than that texture of course is also used to make sure that the colors are exact in the new high res duplicate.

IP Logged

[i0]Solar

Oldunreal member

Reply #173 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
a 4 year project?
i remember hearing about this a couple years ago,
are you juss trying to make Unreal's graphics better?
that'd be crappity smacking awesome!!!!!
Unreal 1 with graphics like MW2,
brb, i needa change my pants.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #174 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
This only adresses the problem of textures. Meshes and maps are still low-poly, and the HD textures do impact performances hard. You will not have anything MW-like in Unreal.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

[i0]Solar

Oldunreal member

Reply #175 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
DAMN.
this needs to be done..

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #176 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
We're improving the situation a little with Unreal: Enhanced Edition.

IP Logged

[i0]Solar

Oldunreal member

Reply #177 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
WHAT!?
Is there a beta for this U:ED?
more details please...

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #178 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 11:11am
Print Post  
It's in the Projects forum.

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #179 - Sep 21st, 2011 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Ok, here we go.

Upfront

Upfront i need to say that i own Ahaigh a big appology, for taking so long to release his work. Innitially i simply was too ill to do anything at al, and when i finally was able to grab myself to get to work, loads of technical problems delayed everything even more. If new releases are made i hope to release them alot faster than i did now........

About these updates.

There are a fair amount of new textures available but the main real update as far as textures have been made by Ahaigh on the GenFX package and a few on Crypt and NaliCast. Than the bulk of the updates concern textures that have been turned Extreme End. And to do so, i also had to re-process all High and Low End version to make sure they match eachother. The other part of the update concern alot of fixes for both Unreal and UT. Mainly in UT some bugs apeared in the last year that badly needed a fix.

Dates

All utx packages in this update, and if needed fixes in the next weeks(i hope not) will have as date September 25th 2011. If you find a wrong date than please post that, because it means that i accidentelly uploaded an old file.

Crypt package, First comes first get Smiley

The Crypt package with a huge update Tongue

And it huge because theres only 2 textures in that package, with this update the package is 100% done Wink All updates made by Ahaigh

Remark: First release of the Extreme End version.

Unreal_LowEnd_Crypt.zip
Unreal_HighEnd_Crypt.zip
Unreal_ExtremeEnd_Crypt.zip

GenFX package

Large update concerning the amount of updatable textures, this package too is completed. All updates made by Ahaigh

Unreal_LowEnd_GenFX.zip
Unreal_HighEnd_GenFX.zip
Unreal_ExtremeEnd_GenFX.zip

NaliCast package

The bookcases have been updated by ahaigh and i shipped in a few walls.

Unreal_LowEnd_NaliCast.zip
Unreal_HighEnd_NaliCast.zip
Unreal_ExtremeEnd_NaliCast.zip

DecayedS package

While working on the update i noteiced a big difference beween Extreme, High and Low End. I found 20+ textures that were simply bloated up original textures. The Extrem End version dropped from 951 Mb to 936Mb. On a second attempt i still found differences which resulted in re-processing the entire package. Several textures were added and the package reached a new milestone and surpassed the 1 Gigabyte threshold and is now 1086 Megabyte.

Remark 20+ stupid fixes and a whole bunch of updates.

Unreal_LowEnd_DecayedS.zip
Unreal_HighEnd_DecayedS.zip
Unreal_ExtremeEnd_DecayedS.zip

GenEarth package

The package received updates on the grass textures so it could be turned Extreme End. Still i am not satisfied about the grass, and likelly in the future there will be another update. Needs to be said, in Extreme end it looks awsome, the quality on the grass itself is unmatched. It also contains pretty much zero repeat. This is the reason i developed the Extreme End versions in the first place. I wanted to ship in the rockfaces but decided to not do that, i need to have second look at those.

Unreal_LowEnd_GenEarth.zip
Unreal_HighEnd_GenEarth.zip
Unreal_ExtremeEnd_GenEarth.zip

GenTerra package

GenTerra contains all other variations on the grass, which ment that this package had to be redone completelly. It took my secondary computer system over 24 hours to make all calculations for the dds files. Extreme End is now 579 Mb.

Unreal_LowEnd_GenTerra.zip
Unreal_HighEnd_GenTerra.zip
Unreal_ExtremeEnd_GenTerra.zip

NaliFX package

NaliFX also contains a few grass textures that needed to be updated.

Unreal_LowEnd_NaliFX.zip
Unreal_HighEnd_NaliFX.zip
Unreal_ExtremeEnd_NaliFX.zip

ShaneSky package

This release contains a fix for the annoying black squares that people sometimes encountered. Like the skyboxes i forced the planets/moons to be masked at all time by adding an Alpha channel to the textures. Theoretically if the texture is being used as last texture in a skybox it could punch a hole to the universe and create a monster of a HOM. But i never heard this happen with the skybox textures, while they really pose a risk on that. Since it was succesfull on those textures, than its unlikelly this will happen on these. I doubt a mapper ever will add them as last texture in a skybox.

The package also have the offset atmospheres fixed which were reported not that long ago.

Remark: Critical fix on the package that contains a masking and atmospheric fix on all moons/planets, as well as a fix for the Black Square behind planet/moon bug.

Unreal_LowEnd_ShaneSky.zip
Unreal_HighEnd_ShaneSky.zip
Unreal_ExtremeEnd_ShaneSky.zip

SkyBox package

Pretty much the same as ShaneSky, the moonplanet is forced masked and has the atmosphere fixed.

Secondary, the high resolution clouds have been ditched. In both Unreal and UT it triggered the so called Non-Tiling clouds. Unclear is why it happens, but effectivelly something went wrong on the Drawscale function. For now it means the cloud textures had to be ditched, which is a pitty of course........

Remark: Critical fix on the package that contains two different fixes on the moonplanet, as well as a fix for the Non-Tiling clouds bug.

Unreal_LowEnd_SkyBox.zip
Unreal_HighEnd_SkyBox.zip
Unreal_ExtremeEnd_SkyBox.zip

SkyCity package

SkyCity also contains a few grass textures that needed to be updated, in this case the grass with the cobblestones on them, to be seen in SkyTown.

Unreal_LowEnd_SkyCity.zip
Unreal_HighEnd_SkyCity.zip
Unreal_ExtremeEnd_SkyCity.zip

SpaceFX package

SpaceFX again pretty much the same as ShaneSky, the Earth texture is forced masked.

Remark: Critical fix on the package that contains a masking and atmospheric fix on the Earth texture, as well as a fix for the Black Square behind planet/moon bug.

Unreal_LowEnd_SpaceFX.zip
Unreal_HighEnd_SpaceFX.zip
Unreal_ExtremeEnd_SpaceFX.zip

Hourences packages

Hourences may not be that known in the Unreal community, but he is in the UT community. In the past he released several texture packages for Unreal, UT, UT2003 and UT2004. Using the textures provided by Hourences i was able to produce the High and Low End S3TC versions. The Extreme End versions could not be made since the textures he has simply did not go further than High End. At that time of release its pretty obvious he didnt make them larger, as there was no need for that backthan.

Initially there were 4 packages that were turned S3TC, however on package dropped of due to the skating player glitch. Thanks to Protos who made the testmap available on his server for online testing Smiley The packages have been limited tested on a server to exclude the skating player glitch.

But there is still that second unknown factor build in some maps that can trigger the glitch. If it happens please report that. For that reason, use is entirely at your own risk !!!

The download contains 3 packages:
- HourIndusX_UT
- HourNature_UT
- HourPitores_UT

Remark: All credits go to Hourences, i only assembled the S3TC packages, and made a few textures forced masked.

Unreal_LowEnd_Hourences.zip
Unreal_HighEnd_Hourences.zip

Vanilla packages

A whole new serie of packages will be released called Vanilla UT and Vanilla Unreal. These packages have a few alterations to the normal S3TC packages. You cannot read the text on the holoscreens anymore, so they will remain neutral and wont interfere with another storyline(like Red Nemesis). The planet and moons will look more like the originals, which means they loose the noticable atmosphere and will look alot closer to the original. Some players didnt like them, and those packages offer a solution to that. The vanilla packages only concern the packages that have that kind of stuff in them, so its a limited amount of packages. Of course all packages will have Low End, High End and Extreme End versions.

I planned to have at least one of those packages include, but no go. As soon as one is available, ill post those here as well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo