Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Just a brief update on the project (Read 113989 times)
-Shadow-

Oldunreal's n00b

Re: Just a brief update on the project
Reply #150 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 12:15am
Print Post  
DieHard SCWS wrote on Feb 7th, 2010 at 10:59pm:
I am testing a better program to see if i can get better versions for the mountains. But for this update they will stay as they are, so dont get your hopes up on the exanmple below:

http://www.unrealtexture.com/Media/S3TC/MountainsNewBeta01_Small.jpg

On itself the program looks promising and i do get cool results, but i still dont know if you can actually create individual mountains in the shapes i want. And that of course is crucial. The program has tons of options to tweak everything, but you still depend on what the program comes up with. Bryce allowes you to add and shape individual mountains or structures like the floating islands. But needs to be said, the mountains themselves look very natural.

And i am getting results right now, but i presume it will take a couple a months before i am able to produce what i want, if its possible......

Isn't that program called Terragen or something like that?

Well, I really can't wait to see these mountains in their full glory! The mountains are one of the textures that I just can't wait to see.

Nanodesu!

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #151 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 2:21am
Print Post  
Quote:
The latest mountains look perfect! Don't forget that if a program can't do something for you, you can always alter the render in Photoshop Smiley

Well, yes and no. The old floating islands were made in Bryce and i used a stock texture from Bryce to render them. In Photoshop i added to 2 layers of my own texture on top of those, to get detailed effect. But it ment the perspective got lost. Which was the big handycap on those.

The ones i am gonna release now are also rendered in Bryce but i used my own high resolution texture for those (4096 x 4096 pixels) Which ment that the the base i used in Photoshop already had alot of rock detail and all the needed perspective. In Photoshop i used two base layers from Bryce and added only on layer on top of that. And the fact i only had to add on layer ment that there is much more detail without loosing perspective too much.

The whole trick would be, to render all the textures directly in a 3D program using a high resolution base texture, and creating the perspective needed directly in that 3D program. So all in on go. In Bryce its easelly working because you can create individual mountains and shape them the way you want. But you can see the polygones too easy and it stretches the texture, which is unwanted.

Terragen doesnt stretch the texture, which is a plus. But its very difficult to create the mountains, because you have to work on a heightmap in Photoshop where you cannot see the result. In Bryce you can alter the heightmap within the program and immediately check if its correct.

But i pretty much got everything to work now in Terragen, just i need to find a way to create the individual mountains.

Quote:
Isn't that program called Terragen or something like that?

Well, I really can't wait to see these mountains in their full glory! The mountains are one of the textures that I just can't wait to see.

For the current textures i use Bryce 3D, and for the next update(after the current one) i am trying out Terragen. I also have WorldBuilder lying around, but never had the time to check on that one.

But as said, the current update will contain the Bryce mountains, and in future update i hope i can have them rendered in Genterra. But this wont be any time soon.

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #152 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 4:32am
Print Post  
I am uploading all files right now, but it will take at least till tomorrow evening before all sites have been synchronised. But it means the release of all packages will be tomorrow Smiley

IP Logged

-Shadow-

Oldunreal's n00b

Reply #153 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 2:15am
Print Post  
DieHard SCWS wrote on Feb 9th, 2010 at 4:32am:
I am uploading all files right now, but it will take at least till tomorrow evening before all sites have been synchronised. But it means the release of all packages will be tomorrow Smiley

ALRIGHT!!!!!!
*jumps up and down*
YAY!!!! Grin

EDIT: wait a minute, that means that tomorrow is TODAY! oh, hell yeah!

ANOTHER EDIT: wait, are these textures only in the Extreme End Section?

Nanodesu!

IP Logged

-Shadow-

Oldunreal's n00b

Reply #154 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 2:38am
Print Post  
uh oh, we have a problem:

In the Extreme End Textures section of Unreal, when I click on SkyBox.utx, it brings up a download for the Starship textures instead!  Embarrassed

Nanodesu!

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #155 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 2:46am
Print Post  
Quote:

In the Extreme End Textures section of Unreal, when I click on SkyBox.utx, it brings up a download for the Starship textures instead!  Embarrassed

Ill fix that shortly

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #156 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 2:53am
Print Post  

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #157 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 2:57am
Print Post  
Quote:

Fixed Smiley

IP Logged

gp

Reply #158 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 1:54am
Print Post  
Well here are my thoughts:

I think the detail in the mountains look great, thanks for the update! However I'm not really a huge fan of the styling, I guess. In my opinion they seem overly-jagged (not in terms of texture resolution, but in artistic design) and desolate. When playing, I get the feeling that Na Pali is a barren wasteland, which contradicts the green landscapes of Nyleve's Falls and Noork's Elbow. They kind of give me the feeling of an environment like these:

My choice would be mountains closer to what you see in landscapes that are more capable of sustaining life, as that would fit more with the environments created in Unreal. I think that last image you posted would be more appropriate. But this is all just my opinion, of course; and again I want to thank you for your work. Smiley

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #159 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 2:34am
Print Post  
The first picture you posted is pretty much exactly how the mountains should look like, those type of rocks would be perfect! And there is are two ways to create them. Either i draw them from scratch, which is what i am uncapable off, or i use a 3D program to render them.

And i agree that the ones i made now are too jagged, and i think all agree here with that. Terragen does that alot better, it looks alot more like actual rock. So ill keep trying to get them made in Terragen.

A third option is to go paint them on a canvas with actual paint and take photos from them. But lack of money and good paint and brushes prevent me from that. Aside that i prob need to paint tons of models. But its an option as well.

But for now ill just jeep trying stuff in Terragen to see if i can get some cool results. And the more i try, the more familiar i get woth the program. And than the more i am able to produce something decent, but it will take alot of time i presume.

IP Logged

gp

Reply #160 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 3:10am
Print Post  
Well if you like the first picture, it came from this link [deviantart.com]. That site might be a good resource for you in terms of contacting artists for any tips or, though unlikely, maybe even an artwork donation. You can search that site for almost anything that might help you narrow down what you want. Smiley

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #161 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
I just wanted to update you all on a bug that did surface.

As it looks now, the new mergertool does not process the textures correctly. And the result is that masked textures ingame disapear, or partially disapear. This does not apply to the S3TC masked textures, but only the old "not updated" masked textures.

This can be seen in the ISV-Kran maps where the grates are gone. There is also a report that on certain occasions the waterfall (like the one in Nyleve) can disapear. Though the waterfall needs a bit of study if this is the same bug or a different one.

To fix the problem for the masking errors in the StarShip package the package needs to be processed again with the old mergertool, and this should fix it.

In case of the waterfall(if its the same bug, and if its really a bug) than the solution has to wait, since that texture is sitting in the HubEffects package. That package can only be produced by the new mergertool. So in order to fix that, the mergertool needs to be fixed.

But when my monitor died, my health seem to have died with it. And for the last 2 weeks i have been nothing but ill, and unable to really concentrate on anything, so all updates have to wait till i feel a bit better. But as soon as i can i will release an update for the StarShip package.

Just to keep everybody in the loop.

P.S. if you find more masking erors than the ones mention, dont hesitate to post those here.

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #162 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
There is a crucial update available for Starship package. The update will fix the disapeared grates in the package.

UNREAL

Low End

Unreal_LowEnd_Starship.zip

High End

Unreal_HighEnd_Starship.zip

UNREAL TOURNAMENT

Low End

UT_LowEnd_Starship.zip

High End

UT_HighEnd_Starship.zip

IP Logged

Pcube
Ex Member

Reply #163 - Feb 22nd, 2010 at 6:06am
Print Post  
Get well soon Diehard.

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #164 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Still not too super well, and still terrible pains in my back, but i am a bit better. And today i received 2 new hardrives, which are badly needed, as i could not even save the smallest texture anymore.

I got 2 brandnew WD 1 terrabyte drives, which in reality will give me 1 terrabyte of new space, while the other terrabyte will serve as backup. re-aranging all files, formatting the drives, creating the backups, will probably take a couple a days.

But after that i finally will be able to work on the textures again. And i already told Creavion that i likelly go work on the NaliCast package. That package is only(well relativelly spoken) 153 textures big, so its doable to try finish the package.

Innitially i planned to go work on the Starship package, and ill see if i can work on that package at the same time. The Starship package is widelly used in several maps because it contains all textures that are used for the ISV-Kran spacecraft. And theres alot of ISV kran maps, so that makes it important. But it is on of the most complicated packages where theres tons of textures that contain a horrible amount of tiny details. And those details will go consume alot of time.

But i will start out with the NaliCast package, and see what comes out of that. Luckelly i already had alot of base textures that i worked on 2 years ago. So its time to dust those off and see where they can be used.

On a sidenote, the NaliCast package also contains a few rockfaces. And if i want to complete the package, i will have to do those as well, which than wil also reflect on the other rockafaces that can be found in other packages. But no promise there, as i am really poor in doing rockfaces.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo