Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Just a brief update on the project (Read 114013 times)
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Re: Just a brief update on the project
Reply #15 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 1:24am
Print Post  
Quote:
Oh, and just to mention, I'm still working on that UT2004 texture list I've told you about (that is, they're sorted into logical groups), and also I'll sort static meshes as well as basically they need that as well.

Thats cool Smiley Just submit it whenever your done with it and ill add it to the site.

Quote:
If you need any help, tell me and I will try to help as much as I can. Smiley

Thanks, but ill manage somehow, but its appreciated.

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #16 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Here is another texture that i have been working on, and its not from DecayedS but from the Mine package:

And yes, those are metal crates and not wooden crates like some of us think Smiley

I never dared to touch that texture because its probably the best representation to what Unreal is. And i always thought that if i ever make an S3TC version it needs to be perfect as far as color and Unreal mood (read atmosphere)

This example is an advanced beta model and still needs alot of tweaking, ingame however it already looks almost as the original, so for myself it was ok to already go post the beta here.

There are two textures that are very similar, but still have a different apearence and those are MMCRATE2 and MMCRATE3. On has a little more rust than the other. The challange now is to make it a bit more exciting without loosing mood and coloration.

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #17 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Additionally Roll Eyes lol

Forgot to mention that, but the texture is added in 128 x 128 pixels in the original package, for the S3TC version i choose to add it as 2048 x 2048 while it should have been 1024 x 1024. The texture is simply too important to add it in a lower than 2048 resolution.

2048 it will be Smiley

IP Logged

[Ŕ] ŤhěxĐŕkśđěŕ
Oldunreal MasterPoster

「エレクトロマスター」

Reply #18 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Woah... That's pretty large. Cheesy

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #19 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
By the way, is it possible to add footstep support for these textures without breaking compatibility?

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #20 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Quote:
By the way, is it possible to add footstep support for these textures without breaking compatibility?

Smirftsch asked me that several times, but its not my "problem" (so to speak)

The problem would be to create a mergertool that can handle it, which might be difficult to make, because as you said it needs to maintain compatibility. I cannot create the tool and Kerilk who build the current version doesnt have the time anymore. Which means the only on left capable of doing it is Smirftsch. (if its possible at all)

But if the tool is provided and sounds are provided, than yeah i am willing to add them, thats no prob. So its more a technical problem, and i dont see it solved any time soon, but who knows.......

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Ex Member

nedm

Reply #21 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 12:28am
Print Post  
texture default properties already provide a footstepsound in 225f, so you could do it manually in unrealed, and you'd just need to supply the footstepsounds sound file made in 225f with the texture packages and it should work fine..

there might be a method to use the #exec directive in ucc make to change a textures footstepsound..

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Ex Member

nedm

Reply #22 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 12:36am
Print Post  
just looked into it, there isn't a way to use #execs for that, though there might be a bs hack method on a clientside mutator of sorts to set the sound

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Ex Member

nedm

Reply #23 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 12:58am
Print Post  
well looking at deus ex they have a rather genius method of texture sounds, when you import a texture you set it's group, and they set all textures into groups where they fit the material.. ie

a ceramic texture gets a ceramic group, and on playfootstepsound() it gets the floor texture's group name and uses a switch(case) on the groupname to play the correct sound..

there is one issue with this, idiot modders might reference textures like this..

"texture'coretexceramic.ceramic.cermromnfloor_d';"

using the group.. now if we changed all textures to format like deus ex, if someone used the group name like that well.. compatability would be broken. Figures. We'll probably need to have a seperate method using a new defaultproperty in a texture, maybe a subclass of texture. Working on that now..

edit: i'm an idiot, theres no way to do that. f.

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #24 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 1:33am
Print Post  
Unless you pour it into a mod, you always will have the netcompatibility problem. And the current mergertool bypasses that problem with a neet trick, but adding info that wasnt there will be very hard to acomplish without netproblems.

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #25 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 1:36am
Print Post  
In meantime i have been working all evening and night on the crate texture and i got more final version now. The texture is done except i need to tweak the overall color a bit to make it a tiny bit more Magenta:

Apart from the color this is likelly the final version of the infamous crates Smiley

IP Logged

[Ŕ] ŤhěxĐŕkśđěŕ
Oldunreal MasterPoster

「エレクトロマスター」

Reply #26 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Lol pwnz0r.

BTW, if you need some Treelines, tell me, I've just took some 5MP photos @ the best quality today; you can see a pretty large and n337 phorest from my house. Smiley

IP Logged

Rubberwood

Thread killer

Reply #27 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
How much RAM would be needed to play Unreal with textures in that high of res?

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #28 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
On these pages you can find the specifications:

Low End Specs

Hi End Specs

And those specs should only be concidered as an advise, nothing more. Its quite simple i have no means to test it on multiple systems, so its based on my experience on my own computer. But i did play Unreal S3TC for years with the High End versions with a Pentium 4 (3 Ghz) with 1 gig of memory and a 128 Mb videocard. Sometimes i noticed a bit of stottering, but most of the times it run just fine.

IP Logged

Rubberwood

Thread killer

Reply #29 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 4:38am
Print Post  
Well with 3 gigs of RAM and an AMD dual processer and a 256 megabyte video card, I think my comp can handle it! Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo