Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Just a brief update on the project (Read 113995 times)
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Just a brief update on the project
Aug 27th, 2008 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
I though it was time to make a post on the progress.

As some of you know, my health hasnt been to good this year, which ment i havnt been able to do anything really, nor with the sites nor with the textures.

At this point i am working as hard as i can on the Unreal Texture site. I have been finishing up on the UT3 section(which turned out pretty cool) and all downloads for the MSU have been added since i am gonna follow the MSU to the last submission, and went from there to the Unreal section, which is getting a huge overhaul at the moment. Backthan i added alot of downloads for Unreal, but never really finished up on all the downloads, nor on the info on the site.

This time i am taking all the time needed to add and fill in the gaps. This also means that i am adding tons of stuff that are super usefull to mappers, for 2D Editing like Fonts, Brushes, high end PSD files, etc. As well as the 3D section who will have downloads for all major 3D programs as UnrealEd, Blender, 3ds Max, LightWave, Maya, etc. All kind of needed plugins, Prefabs, Models and much more will be there for download. I suspect it will be till the end of September till that part is finished up. But once i reached that point, it will also be possible to easelly maintian the site by ading newly released materials. Which i couldnt do in the last 3 years(that includes the CW site).

When that is done(October 1st) i will return to SGC Roll Eyes which seems has no end lmao. But still, i will go work on that for the main part. I will however work on the Unreal textures as well Cool at the same time. Its been waaaaay too long since there was an update for Unreal, and the game, and users simply deserves on Smiley

What am i go work on?, thats a bit unclear, but DecayedS is still on my mind as high priority, not because i like the package, but theres simply to much important stuff in it. I will also go work on the ports from UT to Unreal, because that would give mappers all of a sudden hundreds of new to use textures, and that will include a few extention packages as well (like noxxpack02.utx).

Hopefully this is  a usefull update for my fans Smiley And hopefully i am able to make a few releases in a couple a months from now Smiley

IP Logged

bluedruM

Dont make eye contact
the sexiness might hurt
you

Re: Just a brief update on the project
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 12:54am
Print Post  
ahh thank you so much for the updates man..... excited about the releases! Cheesy

I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself....

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
I started working on the DecayedS package officially now. And as i expected its a very complex package to do. Upcomming weeks i will have to spend all my time to gather info on the package and see how everything connects(which is always a horrible job and very time consuming).

The difficult part is that textures having the same background are sometimes used for concrete while in another texture (or package) its used as metal. Which of course is a confusing situation, and the package is packed with that kinda "misinterpretations".

I also have to make some hardcore decisions about certain already excisting S3TC textures in the package, its likelly i will have to purge those and replaces them with my own to make them match with other textures.

Mainly this aplies to this wall:

For me this wall was the start of the URP project, it was the first S3TC texture i saw backthan and was super impressed with the detail and also the 3D look on the red bars on top of it.

Unfortunatelly the wall itself surfaces in some 100 other textures if not more, and that surface doesnt work well on the other ones, not too mention i need a version higher of quality than that one.

For me personally its a shame i will have to wreck that specific texture, and others may feel the same i am sure. I will do my best to keep it as intact as possible but no guarantees. From the look of it, i might be able to keep the white bottom(those this will be remade as well) with the same type of surface. The red bars will likelly transform into metal bars instead of concrete bars. The middle part(brown concrete) however will be changed completelly, and theres no real way around that.....

The other time consuming thingy would be that theres allot of textures inthere that have super fine shape like details like in this wall:

And theres alot more textures having similar detail, and the one above has at least 300-500 small detail stuff in it. And yes i will have to redo that texture too, the one we have now is only 1024 x 1024 pixels while it should be 2048 x 2048 pixels.

All together it will be a long process to finish up the package, but i plan to do the entire package from bottom to top and finish it up. No guarantees there either, but i do plan it.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Of course I can only speak for myself- but I fully trust your skills and decisions, so the only thing I can say is: Can't await to see it Smiley

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
How do you "update" these textures? Do you Take a photo from real-life? Do you export the texture from utx and remake it with PhotoShop or Paint Shop Pro (bigger resolution, photo fixes etc)?

IP Logged

[Ŕ] ŤhěxĐŕkśđěŕ
Oldunreal MasterPoster

「エレクトロマスター」

Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
I think all textures are nice. Yes good question how do you make it? Maybe I could help if I knew how. My dad bought a new camera (7Mpix) so I can take a photo of just about anything. Cheesy And make it a Unreal texture.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
As far as I have heard, he does it both ways Age suggested: taking a photo first, then photoshoping everything to the max.

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies Smiley

Last year i got me a new camera (Canon 400 digital rebel 10 Mpix) which is a big improovement from my old 4 Mpix camera. I also got a tripod and remote shutter as well as a small bunch of lenses which makes it possible to make good shots that i desperatelly need.

And to answer the questions, i often make use of real life photos to create all bases, though i also make lots of stuff in photoshop without any photo. If i use a photo as base than (lets say a foto from a concrete wall) than i paint stuff on top of that photo, but prior to that i do several things.

First i decide how the texture needs to look like, and what real life photos i need, for that reason i always look around on the street 24 hours a day to see if i see usefull stuff for future textures. Being on the lookout never stops, as said 24 hours a day lol.

When needed i go take the fotos to where i found a good object. Once home i transfer the foto to the computer. Than theres a fixed amount of steps i make:

- My camera takes foto in 3888 x 2592 but i need a square, which means i enlarge the canvas(Photoshop btw) to 3888 x 3888 and paint the missing parts using the clone tool.

- The next step is to make the texture tilable in all directions so it can repeat itself endlessly seamsless. For that i have a filter called HalfWrap that flipflops the layer i am working on. To create the actual tiling is also done using the clonetool.

- Unavoidably the photo gets damaged (read fuzzy) due to the cloning, and to solve that i use the Unsharp Mask filter to make it all sharp again. And due the fact that videocards make everything fuzzy again, you can make it emphesized sharp if needed, too little is sometimes worse than too sharp.

- If needed i also copy the result to an Alpha channel and use that to slightly bumpmap the texture. This will bring back more dept into the texture. But you gotta do that carefully, out of 100 steps bumpmapping i never go further than 3. So at best you gotta do a tiny bumpmap.

- The next step is to change the color, and for that i use Image---> Adjustment---> Selective color and have that set to Neutral while i toy around with the colorsliders. In very rare occasions this doesnt work and i use Image---> Adjustment---> Variations.

And that pretty much finishes the base. Any texture is made out of several bases and each base is made in a similar method as described above. As sidenote, each step is saved in a seperate layer, while i name the layer to what i have done. As example:

- 1st layer (bottom one): IMG_2123_A Tilable (IMG_2123 is name of the photo)
- 2nd layer: Unsharp 280, 1 (sharpening the photo)
- 3rd layer: Bumpmap 3
- 4th layer: Col -8, 0, +15, +25 (re-collor the foto)
- 5th layer: DecayedSConcrete04 which is also the name of the file itself (DecayedSConcrete04.PSD)

In that way i always can go back in history. For instance i could start off again from layer 3 and give it a different color so the file could be called DecayedSConcrete06.PSD

The actual textures is a collection of bases, and naming everything makes sure i always can track where it came from, and make variations later on from that base if needed.

Than i collect all bases needed for a texture in on file (normally i start out with 2048 x 2048 pixels base) Than i am gonna create all shapes present in the texture which is actually the most time consuming part !!!

To create depth i either use the Bevel and Emboss fuction, but preferably i go paint the shadows and highlights with the use of Burn and Dodge tool. For the shadow casting on the layers below i use the shadow function to drop shadows (though this is limited but most times it will works just fine.)

This texture (UTbase1 package, texturename: mlbPipeWall7TES:

Is entirely made from this foto:

These scratches:

And this circuitboard i got from the net:

Which points out, you can make pretty much anything, out of anything Smiley Wink

IP Logged

[Ŕ] ŤhěxĐŕkśđěŕ
Oldunreal MasterPoster

「エレクトロマスター」

Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Anything out of anything...107,49% agreed! I couldn't do 0,01% of that texture. Cheesy

IP Logged

Chaos13
God Member

/dev/cobd0

Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Impressive mapping and shading... +1!

Skydev <Generic> = Chaos13 <Generic/Unreal1/UT99> = Dimension4 <Unreal1/UT99>
IP Logged

Rubberwood

Thread killer

Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 3:55am
Print Post  
Is there a set date, or year when all the textures should be done?

It's so beautiful, I'm impatient about it.

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #11 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Is there a set date, or year when all the textures should be done?

It's so beautiful, I'm impatient about it.

No, theres no timeframe, thats simply impossible, theres too much work involved and i simply try work on the textures as much as possible. And there is also no fixed time i spend on a given texture, some textures are done real fast, some textures are super complex to make, and some textures are simple to create but take hours and hours of time.

Textures like these:

are easy to create but consume tons of time, such a texture can easelly take 20 up to a 100 hours to create due to all the tiny shapes i have to make. Theres really hundreds and hundreds detailed stuff in those..... Not too mention theres alot of thinking that goes in those, to fill in the hardly visible gaps and make the texture work.

For DecayedS i already made some 50 textures, but its still a long way to go. Here is an example of on of the new textures:

But dispite you said, you have to have patience Smiley But ill try to get an update done for Xmas this year, no promise, but ill try.

IP Logged

GreatEmerald
Oldunreal MasterPoster

The Great Emerald

Reply #12 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Oh, and just to mention, I'm still working on that UT2004 texture list I've told you about (that is, they're sorted into logical groups), and also I'll sort static meshes as well as basically they need that as well.

IP Logged

Rubberwood

Thread killer

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
The textures are beautiful! don't give up.

IP Logged

[Ŕ] ŤhěxĐŕkśđěŕ
Oldunreal MasterPoster

「エレクトロマスター」

Reply #14 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
OMG DieHard that's so 1337! Shocked
You're a super expert!
If you need any help, tell me and I will try to help as much as I can. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo