Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic SBLive! Value - WinXPx64 OpenAL driver (Read 5647 times)
Wimp Miester

SBLive! Value - WinXPx64 OpenAL driver
Jan 22nd, 2008 at 4:02am
Print Post  
Does anyone know of an OpenAL DLL that works with WinXPx64 beta driver for the SBLive! Value?

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Re: SBLive! Value - WinXPx64 OpenAL driver
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 7:42am
Print Post  
The only OpenAL DLL's that I know can be downloaded from OpenAL.org. (OpenAL installer for Windows v. 1.1)

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 10:22am
Print Post  
shouldn't this driver already contain a version of it?
Need to check..

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Wimp Miester

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
The version in my windows/system32 folder is 6.14.357.6, Standard OpenAL(TM) Implementation, Copyright(C) 2000-2003 NVIDIA Corporation.  This doesn’t seem to work with anything.  I get loud scratches and other distortion.

The reason I'm using this card is because I couldn't get onboard SoundMaxHD sound to work.  I have the Asus Crosshair.  If I use the proper SoundMaxHD driver, and I've tried them all with the same result, I only get the front left/right speakers.  If I use the standard driver, which I think is better because it supports EAX; I get all the speakers except the rear.  I think the problem is the MS hot fix for Intel audio isn't installed, and I can't get it to install because I have SP2 and the hot fix was for SP1.  I haven't found a hot fix for SP2.  But I would prefer to use the onboard sound if I could get it to work.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Did you maybe try by accident to install the nvidia soundcard driver? Its included in the nforce chipset driver by nvidia, and is for some strange reason usually checked if you download the driver from NVidia's page even although you don't have an NVidia soundcard on your board...
This would explain the version of OpenAL you have in your system folder.
It could explain some other problems you have too.
And the NVidia OpenAL version is known to cause trouble with OpenAL based apps.
I recently built some PCs with your soundchip on it, and had no problem with it in WinXP or vista- but really no clue about XP64, and I currently don't have my XP64 installed, but I didn't have any problems with it and OpenAL.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Wimp Miester

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
No I haven't installed NVIDIA sound drivers.  But at the time this beta driver was released I think NVIDIA was the only one to release OpenAL for the PC.  I think the problem is EAX support only works with titles that use 1.0, maybe even 1.1, and the NVIDIA OpenAL is nothing more than a direct sound wrapper.  I beleive creatives OpenAL is a real stand alone salution.  If not then updating the OpenAL dll probably wont do any good.  As for the SoundMax, they probably just have crappy WinXPx64 support.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo