logo
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Masked Textures (Read 4091 times)
Xavious
God Member

<Insert witty text here>

Masked Textures
Aug 13th, 2005 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
How does one make masked textures using photoshop?

I know about the bit-depth and size and all, but how do you define the areas of the texture that you want to go invisible?

As much as i try, i cannot seem to think of an interesting and amusing signature...I blame the stupid fools who stole all my ideas for decent signatures...&&&&Fools...&&&&I'll get you some day!
IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Re: Masked Textures
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
There is a plain and simple answer for that Smiley

Make sure all the parts in your texture that needs to be masked completelly black.

Check if either one of these values:

RGB:
R = 0
G = 0
B = 0

CMYK:
C = 0 %
M = 0 %
Y = 0 %
K = 100 %

Webcolor:
# 000000

In general people use the RGB value, but all do the job, they are all black.

In the editor, if you now hit masked during import than the texture will automatically asume all black parts are masked from that point.

But also textures that are not masked in a package, you still can make those masked in the editor by rightclick on the texture, choose Properties, choose Surface and than make bMasked true.

In reallity it does not matter if its black being used, it can be any color, the editor just recognises the last color in the 255 color palet. And since black always picks that spot its that color that will be used.

So if you want to use another color, because your texture is black from itself like a Ninja skin than you should change the palet so the last color is red, or blue or whatever other color, just not black or you will have an invisible skin Smiley

IP Logged

Xavious
God Member

<Insert witty text here>

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Good good, cheers muchily.

Hmm, tried it out. Can't get it to work...My texture is 128X128 and in .pcx format (it imports fine and all), and a large area of the texture is black using the RGB value. But when i import it and check the 'Masked' box, it doesn't seem to mask at all.

Here is the pic:

http://www.tcpclan.degroenepulk.nl/phpforum/download.php?id=280

(you may need to copy and paste that link into your browser, or perhaps even get it from the topic at the TCP forum (spam section))

As much as i try, i cannot seem to think of an interesting and amusing signature...I blame the stupid fools who stole all my ideas for decent signatures...&&&&Fools...&&&&I'll get you some day!
IP Logged

TheEmperorStalwartUK
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks, that cleared up a few questions that I had about masked textures. Smiley

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Yes it won't work for me either Smiley

But there you go, this is why i choose backthan for BMP, unless someone finds the correct PCX index coloring settings. Because there seems to be a difference in how the files are being handeled (in Unreal ?).

Lol here we go for the third time this week Smiley

Ok try these settings:

And save it as BMP with these settings:

And to correct myself on previous posts, the index coloring settings as stated above DO NOT work with PCX !!! only on BMP !!!

The file you uploaded was already in the wrong index coloring seems.

What you need to do is this, open the file in Photoshop, convert it to RGB(so its more or less being reset), than to index colored as stated above and than save it as BMP file as stated above.

Import it in the editor and see if it works now, let us know if it did Smiley

IP Logged

Xavious
God Member

<Insert witty text here>

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Cheers muchinessocity, ill try it presently.

Edit/

It worked like several bags filled with charms.

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Smiley

IP Logged

Xavious
God Member

<Insert witty text here>

Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Just one thing though:

Call me a photoshop noob, but could you please clarify what you meant by 'change the palet so the last color is red, or blue or whatever other color, just not black.'

Where is the palette? How do i change it? I put a pale green for the masked areas now, so i'll need to add that on the end of the palette...

IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Go to: Image --> Mode --> Color Table and choose Custum.

There i was wrong again Undecided, its not the last but the first color.

So double click on the first color and change that color, you will now see all black colors are changed into the color you picked.

And that includes the black parts in the eyes, which is probably the reason you wanted another color instead of black.

But there is another thing called color bleeding, if you pick a complete different color as Sonic is, than ingame you will notice that the outside from Sonic will have a tiny outline with that color (that is called color bleeding). Its the transition between the masked color and the actual picture.

Sonic already has a small (blue # 171A5C) line surrounding it, and you should pick a color that is slighty different from that line that already surrounds it, if i were you try # 171A5F

Than off course you have to make the eyes black again, and any other part that previously were black and still are supposed to be black.

In effect always choose a color that matches the outside as close as possible, in this case it should be a dark blue color like # 171A5F

This is the reason why we want to be able to use Alpha channels in the S3TC textures, alpha channels will never give color bleeding.

I hope this will help you.

IP Logged

Xavious
God Member

<Insert witty text here>

Reply #9 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Hmm...

I go into the color table, change the first color to the dark blue color as you suggested, then i go back to my picture, and change bits such as the eyes back to black.

Then then when i look in the color table again, the first color has gone black again...

Nvm, i got it working. Cheers for all your help.

IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2005 at 3:40am
Print Post  
OR make the "eyes" black+1 ...  Tongue

Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

DHrdsDGW

Reply #11 - Aug 14th, 2005 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
You could indeed, but you still should re-color the the masked color to prevent noticable colorbleeding as much as possible.

Since Sonic is mostly blue on the edges, its a smart thing to choose a similar blue color as masked area.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo