logo
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) POPULAR DEMAND: How To Convert MP3/WAV To UMX (Read 5095 times)
RedemptionAD_PHX

-=:Clan Phoenix:=-

POPULAR DEMAND: How To Convert MP3/WAV To UMX
Aug 11th, 2005 at 8:50am
Print Post  
(People are always asking me to do this for them, or teach them how to do this. So I went ahead and wrote up the tutorial on how to do it. The original place of postage is: http://phx.audiodragon.net/index.php?showtopic=155&view=findpost&p=1086 - I'm posting it here also as a reference for people in this community seeing as how it is widely known around Unreal. This applies to UED and UED2.) (Click the link above if you want to see it in lighter colors on a wider area.)

Sorry For The Wait!
Ok, people have asked me this for a while, and I keep telling them "I'm writing a tutorial on it soon!" :lol: Well, with work getting in the way and everything else, I haven't had that chance until now. So, without anymore stalling for free time...

Introduction:
This article will explain how to effectively convert an .MP3 file into a .WAV file, and then start the process on changing it into a UMX. However, you have to watch what file you use! I am not responsible if you use any copywritten music in this process, nor am I responsible if you use any offensive material in your process. So don't point the finger at me if you get in trouble. Now then...

Let's Get Started!
Here is a list of what you need installed before you start. Make sure you have all of these before beginning:

* UnrealED (If you get the start-up error, use this.)
* Modplug Tracker
* Audio Converting / Editing Application (I use the freeware, Wavepad.)
* Make sure your computer can handle this process. Most computers that are Pentium II / AMD K6-III with 422mhz or higher can usually support it. I reccomend using a Pentium 4 (1.2ghz+) or an AMD Athlon XP. I myself use an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2ghz. Faster the computer, the faster the process goes.

Now then, install all those applications if you don't have them already installed. Grab the MP3 or the WAV that you want to use for this process, and open it up (File -> Open File) in Wavepad. First thing after the wav is open, you'll see the wave pattern in green across the main window. You'll need to set the wave with these settings:

* Sample Rate Of "22050" (FILE -> Convert Sample Rate)
* Convert audio channels to MONO (FILE -> Convert Channels -> MONO)

Now go to "FILE -> Save File As" and save it as a .WAV file. It will prompt you with a box that looks like this:

Use the settings I defined on that. After it has saved, right click on the file on your PC, to to PROPERTIES, and see what the file size is. If it is above 6MB, you may want to open it back up in Wavepad and change the sample rate lower than 22050. The lower the sample rate, the lower the quality of the sound, the lower the file size. Most people won't want to wait around and download a 6MB+ file from your server.

Modplug Tracker
Ok, now its time to open up Modplug Tracker. Go to "FILE -> Open", set the little drop-down bar at the bottom of the openbox to detect only .WAV files, and find your music file on your PC. After its all loaded, you'll see that it has filled up the big empty area of the application with five (or more) tabs, click the one named "Patterns". You'll see near the bottom half of the screen that theres a long list of numbers and theres something like "C-5 01  .. A1C" on the very top one (it won't be exactly that number, thats just an example). Select ONLY the "A" and the two numbers after it (Ex:
"A1C"), right-click on it once its highlighted, and copy. Now, you'll see at the top area of the screen theres an area that looks like this:

You enter Modplug on the default "0" part of the patten, you now need to click the first "1" to the right of the "0", highlight the spot where the A## was on the ROW "0" (not column) of pattern "1", right click, and paste. This sets it so that when the Unreal Engine plays the game, it won't think the UMX file is empty after the "0" pattern ends. This defines it for the rest of the "1" patterns following it, so don't bother pasting on them too.

The Final Step!
Go to "File -> Save As", change the name to what you want the UMX's name to look like, and save it as a .IT file. Now, all you have to do is open UED, click "IMPORT" and load up your song. Save it as a .UMX file, and you're finished. If anyone has any problems with any step of this, please PM me here on the forums, post a topic about it, or e-mail me at Malachi@audiodragon.net - Feel free to link this tutorial around, but please do not repost it.

-RedemptionAD (Of The Phoenix)
malachi@audiodragon.net

&&
IP Logged

TCP_Wolf
Forum Administrator

Re: POPULAR DEMAND: How To Convert MP3/WAV To UMX
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2005 at 8:54am
Print Post  
If you want that article in the Unreal Reference, bundle up the files in a zip and email me...

-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

RedemptionAD_PHX

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2005 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
File, sent-aru.

&&
IP Logged

Xavious
God Member

<Insert witty text here>

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2005 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
I don't know why people keep making this same tutorial over and over again, there is already a perfectly good tutorial on the net with screenshots and all.

As much as i try, i cannot seem to think of an interesting and amusing signature...I blame the stupid fools who stole all my ideas for decent signatures...&&&&Fools...&&&&I'll get you some day!
IP Logged

RedemptionAD_PHX

Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2005 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
The reason I made it, is because I haven't been able to find one. Don't really see any thats in the Unreal mainstream these days. Tongue

&&
IP Logged

Turboman.
God Member
Developer Team

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2005 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
tutorial has been extremely usefull to me, even though i dont plan to convert any music at the moment the part with converting an mp3 to wav has been usefull as i couldnt find any freeware program to do it for me.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

TCP_Wolf
Forum Administrator

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 10:56am
Print Post  
http://www.oldunreal.com/UnrealReference/mp3_2_umx/index.html

Only changed layout a bit so it would fit...

-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

RedemptionAD_PHX

Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Kool. Smiley

&&
IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
You haven't been able to find one ?? Then you haven't visited my site ... I have a link to a great one !! I've also got ModPlug and DbAmp for DL, and the tutorial packaged in with ModPlug !!

http://www.gatherstone.tk

So you can get the prog to convert mp3 into wav, the tracker to set up the patterns, and the tutorial ... all in one spot !! It's been posted for several months now !!

LoL  Tongue I've also mentioned this when I asked the "Emperor" if I can post his GREAT tutorial ... I think Xavious posted about it then too.

Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

Xavious
God Member

<Insert witty text here>

Reply #9 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Indeed i did, but does anyone really listen to me?

Lol j/k...

I just think this is a bit of a wasted effort to write a tutorial on something which already has an extensive tutorial...

You could write about something like creature factories and spawnpoints lol...

As much as i try, i cannot seem to think of an interesting and amusing signature...I blame the stupid fools who stole all my ideas for decent signatures...&&&&Fools...&&&&I'll get you some day!
IP Logged

RedemptionAD_PHX

Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2005 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Well obviously if it keeps getting asked, then people are having trouble finding tutorials for it. I wrote the whole tutorial in about ten minutes or so, so it wasn't really a waste of effort.

At least some people will appreciate the effort. Tongue

&&
IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #11 - Aug 14th, 2005 at 2:53am
Print Post  
Good to see it in Unreal Reference Smiley

IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Reply #12 - Aug 14th, 2005 at 3:11am
Print Post  
Peeps keep asking because they don't read ... they just ask !! When's the last time you read the "readme" file for an install ?? LoL  Tongue

Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo