Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Remember playing Unreal thru Mplayer? (Read 1908 times)
Ritttzz

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Remember playing Unreal thru Mplayer?
Apr 2nd, 2003 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
I came to know online gaming thru Mplayer.com. Unreal was my 1st online game that I played thru Mplayer.com. If you were around 4 - 5 yrs ago you would have probably found Mplayers site. It rivaled AOL and is alot like Yahoo is now with voice chat and video cam, it was a great community and is deeply missed. My point.... playing Unreal thru Mplayer was cool because upon entering a game when Unreal launched you started in a huge dim lit dome with 3 exits I believe down passageways marked East Coast and West Coast servers I believe and I cannot remember the 3rd one in the middle, it might have been marked tournament room. I never did find the door to East Coast open or the middle door and always enter the West Coast passageway. At the end of this passageway was like 6 hallways in mist in a semicircle. When you came up on the entrance to these hallways a map name would appear and then you entered the mist and would get teleported to the map and online frag fest. It was this Dome area that I am writing about. You would see other players appear and could run around in this Dome area and chat before playing a map. Because this functioned as a virtual gathering area before entering into a map I am very, very suprised that it is not used to this day.
Does anyone out there remember this Mplayer.com environment? It may not have been used just on Mplayer. 2nd - Was that a map, and does anyone know if it still exists somewhere out there as a download?
Thanks to anyone who can help me out on this.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Re: Remember playing Unreal thru Mplayer?
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2003 at 10:10am
Print Post  
never played through mplayer,  prefered to use the native unreal browser, but it sounds for me a lil bit like a gateway map - since this feature was used very rarely it would be interessting to have it, indeed i'd add it directly to the downloads Smiley, so guyz ! search your old backups and harddrives !

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Ritttzz

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2003 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
What is a gateway map? Why was gateway maps used seldomly? If I remember right it was a download from Mplayer.com like part of some game launcher software. If you do hear from someone out there who still has it post a note about it here, please. Thanks

IP Logged

EagleEye

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2003 at 3:51am
Print Post  
Yeah, I remember using hub maps like that, and I thought it was a really neat idea.  It was neat meeting a group of people hanging out in the hub map, deciding on a gametype and all walking to the map you want.  With the older versions of unreal, before the mouse driven server browser, there used to be a small list of servers from reletively big name online gaming services.  I forget which ones I'd go to(Mplayer.com could've been one of them), but the main server hub I'd usually go to actually involved multiple floors.  I think the floors separated the game types like real ctf, dm, team dm, etc., and then there were a series of hallways branching off from each floor that would lead to each server.  The only problem was that there were no co-op servers at the time on those hubs Sad. I only started playing Unreal1 co-op online when the mouse-based server browser was added.

Actually, at one point recently, there was a co-op server that used a modified gateway.unr hub map (the non-functional one that comes with the game)to select where in the game you wanted to start.  It might have been the Nostalgia co-op server, not sure.

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
The new coop ending map (with portals) can be found here.

IP Logged

joeydonbaker
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Bump for unreal.mplayer.com gateway map if anyone has it  Smiley

IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2020 at 1:11am
Print Post  
And the new world record for the oldest necro-bump is now held by joeydonbaker.
Congratulations, and I wish you luck.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo